Toast damp / new wood

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Demy
Master of Distillation

Toast damp / new wood

Post by Demy »

Well. I have always toasted my wood and I have always used seasoned and dry wood selecting the heartwood. I happened to toast a seasoned but slightly moist wood once and received more caramel notes ... I even chewed a small piece as proof. This got me thinking ... I would like your opinion on 2 issues .. 1) have you ever toasted damp but seasoned wood? 2) It is common opinion to toast seasoned wood ... but I wonder if the "new" wood loaded with sap can make a contribution of aroma (after roasting) or would it be somehow toxic (some chemistry expert?) Thanks in advance for your views.
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Toast damp / new wood

Post by v-child »

I toast my oak sticks (1"x1"x4") in an oven at 380F for 2 hours. I'll say that between the toast and the char, the wood is pretty much dry.
Not sure
Bootlegger

Post by Not sure »

v-child wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:50 am I toast my oak sticks (1"x1"x4") in an oven at 380F for 2 hours. I'll say that between the toast and the char, the wood is pretty much dry.
I hand split wine barrel staves and toast at 380 too the color comes on fast with a nice caramel note and yes with that heat it dries out the wood
Stainless pot with copper shotgun I'm a simple kind of guy
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Toast umido / legno nuovo

Post by Demy »

v-child wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:50 am I toast my oak sticks (1"x1"x4") in an oven at 380F for 2 hours. I'll say that between the toast and the char, the wood is pretty much dry.
I meant start with damp or new wood. Certainly it will be dry in the end.
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

Wood can be dried naturally or kiln dried, I suppose oven drying is about the same, unless you believe there is some nuance missing in one or the other.
Butch27
Swill Maker

Post by Butch27 »

I just drink white dawg but I am not sure that seasoned wood is the same as dried wood.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I haven’t, but I have some newly felled oak I can try. What time & temperature did you use?
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

NZChris wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:24 pm I haven’t, but I have some newly felled oak I can try. What time & temperature did you use?
When I did it I used my little modified oven (I inserted a rotating basket with a small engine) connected with a PID that I use for beer, initially I set at 150 ° C (302 ° F) for about 1.5 Hours, then I switched to 180 ° C (356 ° F) for about 1 hour. I usually maintain these temperatures (based on the famous chart) to get to the aromas I want, I discovered that a toasting with less temperature but for more time it is better than a temperature that "burns" the wood immediately.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Demy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:49 am
When ... toasting with less temperature but for more time it is better than a temperature that "burns" the wood immediately.
+1 I’ve noticed the same.

Toasting for longer periods and gradually reaching the optimal heat effect on the wood is a like a spirit run to me.

Bring the heat up gradually on a seasoned batch of wood. Stack it so that it all gets the heat treatment evenly. Use your senses of smell & vision along with time & temperature to decide when it is ready. Let it cool down naturally and air out before using it.

Depending on the spirit, I may use toasted only or I will put a char on it after toasting.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It better turn out some very special product. I've just walked a mile on a cold, damp, dark evening to fetch a round of newly felled oak that was only just light enough for me to carry home without a rest.

I already have plenty of aged oak out in the weather that I have been using.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Chris, was that uphill both ways barefoot in the snow like I tell my kids what my youth was like?!!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Funny you should ask Tummdoc :D

It was uphill for the trip home.

It wasn't snowing. It's autumn here and the coldest day so far this autumn. I was wearing Jandals, thongs, flip flops, whatever you call them in your country. I only wear shoes for funerals and weddings and even then, only if my family insists.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Aia .... I feel responsible for this ... thank goodness we are very far otherwise I would risk life in case of failure :roll: :lol:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Don't worry Demi. I have spare corn & barley white dog waiting for a project just like this and my fast aging reactor hasn't been used for a year or two, so this gives me something exciting to try.
JesseMarques
Bootlegger

Post by JesseMarques »

Just a thought about the process..
The moisture in a damp or recent cut wood allow sugars to be in solution rather in solid form. This way some sugars can caramelize and react with aminoacids, Maillard Reaction. Also, the presence of water will result in longer time to reach burning temps, resulting in more time spent in Maillard temps
But it's only based in what I've learned in college, I might be wrong
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

JesseMarques wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:53 am Just a thought about the process..
The moisture in a damp or recent cut wood allow sugars to be in solution rather in solid form. This way some sugars can caramelize and react with aminoacids, Maillard Reaction. Also, the presence of water will result in longer time to reach burning temps, resulting in more time spent in Maillard temps
But it's only based in what I've learned in college, I might be wrong
This is exactly what I thought. It seemed strange to me that no one has ever tried so I asked if the sap still present is somewhat undesirable ... but I don't think. My curiosity pushes me to have "original" ideas .. :crazy: