White spirit's and Aging

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BraveKnight
Novice

White spirit's and Aging

Post by BraveKnight »

Hello,

I know with home-brewed wines get better the longer you age them. I know home-brewed beer can be better if you let it "Age for a couple of months" at least I found it did. How about your Vodka or White rums or other white spirits. Will letting them sit for a few months or longer help at all?
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: White spirit's and Aging

Post by Demy »

Yes, in my experience. Especially in fruit distillates (white) improve a lot over time, in a vodka there is a product stabilization even if it is difficult to perceive the difference since it is a neutral product. Here in Italy I know that there are distilleries that maintain their product in stainless steel containers for a few years before bottling (mostly fermented with fruit including grappa).
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Post by IMALOSERSCUMBAG »

I usually let my white rum sit with a loose cover for a few days or even without a cover in the winter when there's little to no bugs flying around. It does help. Throwing in a barrel will help age it as well.
Dr Griz
Bootlegger
Location: Stowed away aboard the flagship of a pirate zeppelin armada

Post by Dr Griz »

I can't speak to neutrals, but I find that white spirits like rum definitely improve with age, even if it's just in glass. Lately, I've been setting aside a bottle of tempered white spirit from every one of the batches that I put on oak. It's interesting to see the way both of them mature in their own way.
qui bene bibit est beatus
AlWorms
Novice

Post by AlWorms »

Oaking and aging are certainly able to happen independently of each other.

It's a bit like the spirit needs time to recover from each step.

Some of my rum is being oaked long term in 50L SS kegs and some is oaked in glass bottles for only 3 or 4 months and then diluted and bottled. I've not yet built up enough stocks to have decently aged rum all the time.

The bottles that aren't aged as long, still improve dramtically after bottling. Even an extra month after bottling seems to smooth them out, and improve the molasses taste/smell. Prior to that, they still smell/taste a bit yeasty/marmite.

The 50L keg smells better and better, each time I check on it, and it's still only been about 5 months.

If you have the time/resources, I'd suggest ramping up your production a bit and make enough that you can put some of each batch aside for a while longer - I suspect you'll be quite impressed at the difference it makes.