Finished Whiskey/Bourbon ABV choice

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Big River
Novice

Finished Whiskey/Bourbon ABV choice

Post by Big River »

I've read a lot about what different people do to get their personal favorite/best drink. I'm just curious what the ABV is for that drink. Is your finished favorite around 40-45% ABV or much different than that.

I'm only asking about your finished best product whiskey/bourbon because my guess is there is less variation when compared to Brandy or Vodka.

Thanks

Big River
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Finished Whiskey/Bourbon ABV choice

Post by subbrew »

Yes, 40 to 45 which is probably as close as we can guess given the cheap hydrometers most of us are using
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Well, I just bought a bottle of Knob Creek Rye. It’s bottled at 100 proof (50%ABV). And I have a bottle of Elijah Craig Small Batch Bourbon on the shelf. It’s bottled at 94 proof (47%ABV). Both are excellent sippers either “neat” or on an ice cube.

I bottle my 5-grain bourbon at 90 proof (45%ABV) and that is where I like the flavor best. It’s rich and yet a touch of warmth. Too high of %ABV will reduce flavor sensitivity as your taste buds will be numbed. But, too low and it “waters down” the rich grain flavors. I like to serve my bourbon chilled (I keep the bottle in the refrigerator) but “neat” ... a couple of fingers in a cut crystal glass.

So, as you see...there isn’t really a right way, or wrong way to bottle. Just be aware that when bottled, some will serve it “undiluted”, so don’t bottle too high as it can be dangerous for consuming...potential tissue damage.

A lot of commercial whiskey is bottled at 86 proof (43%ABV) because of the economics, ie - value for flavor and consumer appeal. Often though, “small batch” distillers will bottle at a higher proof, or even at “cask strength”, but the price usually reflects the higher cost to produce it that way (less volume for sale).

So, I’d recommend bottling at least at 90 proof, as you can always dilute it with ice/water when serving. At least I suggest this as a “starting point” for you...and adjust as you desire in the future.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I'll make up a bottle around 45-50%ABV but to be honest (or more accurate anyway) I usually drink it straight from the aging vessel and dilute 2/3 product to 1/3 spring water a glass at a time..

-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

subbrew wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:38 am Yes, 40 to 45 which is probably as close as we can guess given the cheap hydrometers most of us are using
+1, and SS also correct. myself these days go for 40% (on my alc hydrometer, which is as acurate as the reading) but i like my product at that. when i started i used to bottle at 50% because i could... but i do not need bragging rights these days, either you like or drink from the shop... though i do like constructive critique.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

I bottle at 45% on my whiskies, and 43% on my rums. I've done "cask strength" bottlings straight at 60% or whatever I aged at, but I find it a bit hot and I have to water it down anyway. Might as well fill more bottles then, so that's what I do.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Bottling pretty much ends the aging process, so I only draw off enough for my needs and proof it to my taste on the day. The next time I draw some off, I check my notes from the previous bottling to help me do the proofing.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I did my bourbon at 94 proof to make sure I didn’t get any solubility issues. Vodka, tequila, and rum were all at 80 proof.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Chucker
Swill Maker

Post by Chucker »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:57 am I'll make up a bottle around 45-50%ABV but to be honest (or more accurate anyway) I usually drink it straight from the aging vessel and dilute 2/3 product to 1/3 spring water a glass at a time..

-j
Yep! And always measured sooooper accurately by carefully tipping from a big jug into a tiny little measuring glass and quickly stirred with either a swirl (nice glass) or with a bent piece of welding wire in a shot glass. Out at the Workbench Bar.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

So far, the only thing I've bottled has been neutral. at 50%. All my brown stuff is still on oak and I cut it in a nosing glass if I want a bit. I just eyeball 2:1 give it a swirl in the glass and let it rest a few minutes, then make some notes in the book on any changes I pick up. I was collecting bottles for bottling, but then realized that making just a few liters at a time of finished product, I'm better off just leaving it in the aging vessel until its gone. That opinion may change if any of it survives long enough to have a fifth or two of really good stuff to hide away. But even that would do just as well in a mason jar with HDPE disc under the lid.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

46% is surely the proper number.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

I age at 65% drink at 40% any higher and I just end up drinking to much..
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Fyi. Quick head math for future.

After oaking, blending, etc., store all your liquor at 60%. I even age in jars at 60% (barrel age a little higher- head room for the angels).

Anyway, when you go to bring to drinking strength from storage- 3:1 liquor to water is 45%. 2:1 liquor is 40%.

Makes it easy day to day not having to grab a hydro. :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Thanks SoCD.

I’m a “math guy” and your “seat of the pants” method is GREAT!

It’s easy to measure volumes, so that makes it easy to temper from 120 proof to 90 proof. Piece of cake. But you need accurate volume measurements. I use a 250ml graduate cylinder.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

I like 52 % white, 45-50% oaked...
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

SS and SCD, those are a couple good knowledge nuggets right there.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I think one's preferred ABV tends to stretch, over time. To start I was fine with 40%, but then discovered 43% bourbon, then 47%. It appeared the higher the ABV the richer the flavor. After sampling some barrel proof whiskeys, it became apparent the real skill is in aging a barrel proof that sips like its 43-47%. Not sure how to do this yet, but sure gonna try!

Waiting to be opened at some point are an Elijah Craig at 63.5% and this one:
Bower Hill.jpg
Favorite very day sipper? 47%
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Twisted Brick wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:58 pm .
I think one's preferred ABV tends to stretch, over time. To start I was fine with 40%, but then discovered 43% bourbon, then 47%. It appeared the higher the ABV the richer the flavor. After sampling some barrel proof whiskeys, it became apparent the real skill is in aging a barrel proof that sips like its 43-47%. Not sure how to do this yet, but sure gonna try!

Waiting to be opened at some point are an Elijah Craig at 63.5% and this one:
Bower Hill.jpg
Favorite very day sipper? 47%
That's a good looking bottle. Any bottle with a whiskey rebellion flag on it better be a good damn whiskey.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Good catch, Deplorable. The battle of Bower Hill will go down in whiskey infamy.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Yeah. I asked the kids for a whiskey rebellion flag for Father's day. We'll see if it materializes. I'll fly it under my US flag in the front yard.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

whiskey-rebellion-flag.jpg
In the end, Washington’s expedition cost $1.5 million (more than $150 million today), about one third of the total collected during the entire lifetime of the whiskey tax. While this was arguably a wasteful undertaking, it was a critical moment in our young nation’s history—the first real challenge to the federal government’s sovereignty—and Washington proved that Americans were willing to take up arms against other Americans to protect federal law.
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
JakeB
Novice

Post by JakeB »

I tried my own malt extract whiskey at 40%, but it just does not taste strong at all. I seem to prefer 55% abv, which still doesn't bite as hard as even a 12 yr old commercial bottle (I don't claim to pull the same flavors and still love Scotch). I thought at first my hydrometer was out, so I tested against a freshly opened commercial bottle at 40%. My trailes hydrometer is calibrated to 20c, room temp is 21.5c year round (I have central air) and liquids sitting in a bottle/jar always test right around 20c. Commercial bottle came right in at 40% after sitting on the counter for several hours, my bottle at 55% tested at the same temp (I checked, they were both right at 20c) was still much more subdued. I get good flavor don't get me wrong, just less bite. I drink whiskey on the rocks slowly, so the flavor changes as the ice dilutes it down. By the end of a glass I'm basically drinking whiskey flavored water. I am still relatively new at this, but my theory as to why mine has less bite after a short aging, is heads. I take a lot off and put it in faints, not just the acetone (most of that goes down the drain in foreshots) but through all of the bity part too. Between heads, tails and stillage dumped, I put about half my stripped product in to hearts (I measure by by taste, not by volume. About half as much hearts as low wines is where that seems to land). Commercial distilleries are distilling for profit, I am distilling for pleasure. So for most commercial spirits, I drink them at 40%, for me home distilled is better at 55%abv.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

I think its going to depend on greatly on your cuts. If you are taking only the cleanest of the hearts and not aging it on a wood for a long period you are going to have to drink it at 55% to have much flavor. If you cut in some of the heads or tails the flavor becomes much more intense.

I like to pour a glass at 48% or so and add water to it a few drops at a time, some whisky will change magically at different water levels, great variety of experiences all in one sitting. (You can do the same thing by adding a big ice cube, which I lazily do periodically, or if I am drinking shit, but cold temps mute certain flavors)

All in all, make big batches and play with it a lot, about the time you run out you will have it dialed in, then you get to start the journey again :)
:)
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

+1 Twisted.
I find myself liking the flavors I get from cask strength whiskeys. If you use a small cube, as it melts the proof stays fairly high and flavorful. Sadly, the bottle of full proof Elijah Craig I got for my bday last year is nearly gone, and I missed out on getting this years September release. I guess I'll drown my sorrows with my bottle of 1792 full proof.

I just bottled my 2nd batch of bourbon at 1 year old. This batch was only about 2 liters (before sampling all year), and I first pulled about 550ml at cask strength and put that in a quart jar with a port stick (toasted white oak stick soaked in port wine for 6 months). That will sit for a month or so and yield a 750ml bottle around 90 proof. I diluted the rest to 90 proof and got one 750ml and one 375ml bottle.

Since then I've gone to larger batches, about 6-7 Liters at aging proof. When it comes time to bottle my next batch, I'll bottle one at cask strength and the rest at 94 proof.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Ben wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:59 am I like to pour a glass at 48% or so and add water to it a few drops at a time, some whisky will change magically at different water levels, great variety of experiences all in one sitting. (You can do the same thing by adding a big ice cube, which I lazily do periodically, or if I am drinking shit, but cold temps mute certain flavors)
I started drinking whisky when living in Scotland because... whisky. And fairly rapidly settled on Lagavullin as my go-to commercial offering. Much later, a friend joined the Scotch Malt Whisky Society and introduced me to the pleasures of single cask tastings. A single dram each in the club house provided at least a couple of hours of entertainment, tasting, dluting, retasting, comparing to the original tasting notes, testing food pairings...pretentious stuff but damn good fun. I have two bottles from the SWS in the cupboard and when we pull one out for a drink, you know that you're going to find some interesting flavours in there.

My favourite is 7.101 "Playing with colours" which is bottled at 60.2%. Everything from Haribo sweets to rum and raisin ice cream in there!
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

I age in glass, 3.6 L (leaves head space), 3 staves of toasted and charcoaled oak
62 - 65% ABV in the jug
i take it straight off, add a few ice cubes (no water), let it sit a bit and then sip.
With the melt, probably around 45 - 50%
But having said that, if i feel like having it straight, just drink it at whatever the jar has
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

The correct answer is 46.93% :lol:

Deplorable wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:45 am Yeah. I asked the kids for a whiskey rebellion flag for Father's day. We'll see if it materializes. I'll fly it under my US flag in the front yard.
jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:56 am whiskey-rebellion-flag.jpg

In the end, Washington’s expedition cost $1.5 million (more than $150 million today), about one third of the total collected during the entire lifetime of the whiskey tax. While this was arguably a wasteful undertaking, it was a critical moment in our young nation’s history—the first real challenge to the federal government’s sovereignty—and Washington proved that Americans were willing to take up arms against other Americans to protect federal law.
I must be pretty green still as I was unaware of any of this. I've got a hobby wood CNC that I use to make odds and ends, alot of wood signs typically. Also made some pretty cool mash paddles. Anyways I'm going to have to give this a go this weekend, my bed size is 30x30 so I can get a pretty good sized wood flag made up.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

BlueSasquatch wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:50 am The correct answer is 46.93% :lol:

Deplorable wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:45 am Yeah. I asked the kids for a whiskey rebellion flag for Father's day. We'll see if it materializes. I'll fly it under my US flag in the front yard.
jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:56 am whiskey-rebellion-flag.jpg

I must be pretty green still as I was unaware of any of this. I've got a hobby wood CNC that I use to make odds and ends, alot of wood signs typically. Also made some pretty cool mash paddles. Anyways I'm going to have to give this a go this weekend, my bed size is 30x30 so I can get a pretty good sized wood flag made up.
Its American history. Every American should know it. Sadly, they don't. :(