Irish whiskey - looking for suggestions

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Irish whiskey - looking for suggestions

Post by rubberduck71 »

I just did a spirit run of what I'm hoping to turn into a yummy Irish whiskey:

70% Golden Promise
25% flaked barley
5% corn

Did my cuts last night, and holy schneikies, this might be the best tasting stuff I've ever made as a white dog!!! I have a 50 lb sack of milled golden promise waiting in the wings, so can't wait to replicate it.

My question is, what aging/oaking recommendations would you make to take this to the next level? I have medium, medium plus, and heavy toasted American oak cubes avail. Also have Hungarian medium toast avail. I really like Tullamore Dew, and I see they age in sherry & bourbon oak barrels. So I was thinking of soaking some of these cubes in some purchased sherry (30 days???) and then transfer them into the white dog jar.

What say you, HD brethren?

Thanks,
Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Irish whiskey - looking for suggestions

Post by Deplorable »

If it were mine, I'd go medium+, and give the cubes a light char. Avoiding going too deep into the wood with the char.
If you want a "double cask sherry finish", put a few hungarian cubes in some sherry at the same time. When you think it's ready to bottle, pull it off the med+ and put the sherry cubes in for a few weeks.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.