Stoneware jugs

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

outlawokie
Novice

Stoneware jugs

Post by outlawokie »

Would yall consider stoneware as a glass and safe for hooch
Bring on the twister - I ain't skeered. Hurry put the still in the cellar.
AkCoyote
Swill Maker

Post by AkCoyote »

No. Any hooch left in a glass will get drank. Definitely not safe for the hooch.

AkCoyote
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

AkCoyote wrote:No. Any hooch left in a glass will get drank. Definitely not safe for the hooch.

AkCoyote
:lol:

I would think stoneware should be fine. I have seen alot of "moonshine" gallon jugs at flee markets and they are stoneware.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
swpeddle
Novice

Post by swpeddle »

You may see lots at fleemarkets etc, but I would be seriously concerned about what had been stored in them previously. I can't imagine being comfortable using a jug that may have been used to store diazanon or something worse, even if it was washed well. God know what people put in old jugs sitting in their sheds, etc.

Plus I would also be concerned about heavy metals in the glazes that were used. (iirc there was a little uproar a while ago becuase of uranium ore used to make some red glaze for some cheap water jugs and it was leaching uranium into the water if you left the water in the jugs.) Anyways, I guess I am saying that they 'may' be safe, but why bother when glass IS safe?
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

That is a great point and something I thought of after posting.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
outlawokie
Novice

Post by outlawokie »

You can still buy them new they are sold for drinking water and other beverages I also would not use a used jug that I did not know the history on
swpeddle
Novice

Post by swpeddle »

[quote="outlawokie"]You can still buy them new they are sold for drinking water and other beverages I also would not use a used jug that I did not know the history on[/quote]

that may be true, but I wonder if the glaze can sustain a high proof liquid and still be food safe. (I am thinking of all those PET bottles that are good for 100° but after that you need glass.) The new foodgrade stoneware is probably safe, but it's just that it 'probably' as opposed to glass that 'IS' safe. Not trying to start an arugument here, just some points to ponder.

Steve
PS I am also saying this because I too would LOVE to have some stoneware for that moonshiners look, just for fun.
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

I would think and food grade ceramic with a non-porous glaze would be fine for high-proof spirits. Next time I'm passing through Texas, I'll stop at the pottery in Marshall, and pick up something to test. If their stuff is okay, they probably will ship anywhere.
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
swpeddle
Novice

Post by swpeddle »

[quote="The Chemist"]I would think and food grade ceramic with a non-porous glaze would be fine for high-proof spirits. Next time I'm passing through Texas, I'll stop at the pottery in Marshall, and pick up something to test. If their stuff is okay, they probably will ship anywhere.[/quote]

that'd be awesome.....and the point you make about food grade ceramic and the glaze porosity are quite valid, though they may be the same things that you may not be able to confirm when buying stoneware jugs.....
outlawokie
Novice

Post by outlawokie »

Well Oh yea thats a deep subject thats why the ? was asked
DBM

Stoneware

Post by DBM »

Checkout Zainesville Pottery. They made an overrun of stoneware whiskey jugs for McCormic distilleries and are selling them cheep.
Rickle

Post by Rickle »

That's a pretty good deal DBM.
Here's the link

http://tinyurl.com/4aq2d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
outlawokie
Novice

Post by outlawokie »

Yessir thats the best ive seen thanks for the info :D
DBM

Jugs

Post by DBM »

You'all be careful now--them's not gallon jugs--I got some, I think they hold a little less than a quart. They do come with cork stoppers though.