Toasting Different Woods At The Same Time....

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

7bruno7
Novice

Toasting Different Woods At The Same Time....

Post by 7bruno7 »

Hey all,
I’m wanting to experiment with how a different variety of woods impact the flavor of a 75% corn, 15% rye, and 10% malted barley spirit at 105 proof…

I am toasting the various woods in my electric oven I have in my shop, and my question is… Does anyone know if I toast all the various woods in my oven at the same time if the aromas/flavors/smoke created by the various woods will have an impact, with regards to aroma/flavor, on the other wood species that are in the oven at the same time??
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Toasting Different Woods At The Same Time....

Post by still_stirrin »

I suppose it’ll make your shop smell delicious.

But toasting different types of wood in the same “smoker” won’t affect the flavor or aroma of the aged spirit. It will be the toasted wood itself that affects the spirit. And I’d doubt that the smoke itself would affect the variety of woods in the smoker with any significance.

I think the best thing for you to do is “try it”. Experiment for yourself. Be an adventurer. It’s time to put “learning to practice”.

Oh, OtisT has done several studies with a variety of woods and toast and char differences and impact to aging, taste and color. Look for his thread(s) and read what you can. It will help prepare you for your experiments.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Also recommend experimenting with no-toast but with varying levels of char. 10 sec under the torch is about #1 char, 20 seconds is about #2 char, etc... There will be some range of toast under the char where when you toast a piece say at 350*F for two hours pretty much that level of toast penetrates the whole finger..

Agree with SS though - the effect of smoke (if any) from toasting leaching into the other pieces should be minimal compared to the toast itself but experiment with it too :)

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I don't think it will cause any problems ... wood toasting is a perfume that I love ...
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I toast in bundles in foil. I've never noticed any smoke, regardless of the time, temperature, or wood being used.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

NZChris wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:43 pm I toast in bundles in foil. I've never noticed any smoke, regardless of the time, temperature, or wood being used.
What he said x2 . I do it the same way .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Truckinbutch wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:23 pm NZChris wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:43 am
I toast in bundles in foil. I've never noticed any smoke, regardless of the time, temperature, or wood being used.

What he said x2 . I do it the same way .
Works for me too.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I used to do it in the oven but my wife complained about the smell in the house so I now do it on the BBQ. Also worth your time as Johnny_spirits suggests to char some for a comparison.
7bruno7
Novice

Post by 7bruno7 »

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!! Yeah, I’ll probably toast all the wood together…I think I have 8 to 10 different types of wood right now that I’m going to experiment with…hopefully experiment with others in the future. Checked out some of OtisT’s posts with regards to experiments, lots of good info!

Yeah Johnny_Spirits/Bushman, I plan on experimenting with a variety of toast levels and char levels.

NZChris, is there an advantage to toasting the wood in bundles of aluminum foil, or do you just do that because it’s easier to manage and rotate the wood pieces while they’re in the oven??
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It's just something I read on the forum when investigating toasting. Wrap in foil, poke some holes in it. I don't turn them and the color comes out very even.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

7bruno7 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:37 am , is there an advantage to toasting the wood in bundles of aluminum foil,
It's nothing new....lots of people on different forums have done it that way for a long time. Why?........Because it works well, you get a good even result.
I think maybe Pintoshine came up with the idea originally.
7bruno7
Novice

Post by 7bruno7 »

Sounds good...thanks guys...