Optimal usage of new barrel advice

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hawkwing
Swill Maker

Optimal usage of new barrel advice

Post by hawkwing »

I have an old new barrel. It has dried out a bit and will hopefully be able to be swelled enough with hot water. It is from JK Cooperage of Hungary and I believe is 23 L. It was intended for wine I'm pretty sure. It is only toasted. I was thinking of charring it before swelling with water then filling with bourbon.

Now I'm wondering if anyone has figured out how to optimally use a barrel to get the most use out of them. Should I be doing something else with it first and not charring it? What would you put in it first second third and so on to get the most use out of it? I know bourbon is supposed to be in a new barrel but sometimes you see a sherry cask whiskey. I believe I've seen a port cask whiskey too.

Any wisdom or suggestions I may have missed would be appreciated.

Thank you all.
270C5788-BDA1-4C53-9C00-C76921FAF803.jpeg
ABE5F603-A24F-43C9-B925-0488BF705FEE.jpeg
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Optimal usage of new barrel advice

Post by still_stirrin »

If you plan to disassemble it to toast the staves, be sure to mark the order so they’ll fit back together. You can simply number them around the outside top end (where the head is removed already). A Sharpie works great for this.

Since you’re planning to use this cask for bourbon, it might be nice to retoast it and add fresh char. While you’re at it, I’d suggest cleaning the groove where the head will install too. A good seat will minimize head-to-stave leakage.

Even without retoast and/or rechar, the cask will work for you. It simply might be lighter on the flavor and color transfer to your whiskey. Some hobbiests like to fill the cask with wine before using for bourbon. But, I don’t favor that as it will definitely add a “fruity” flavor to your product. And I prefer the grain-flavors in my whiskeys. But, do as you wish….it’ll be your product.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I've never used Hungarian oak, so I dont know how the flavor differs from American white oak. If that was my barrel, I would put the ring back on it to pull the staves together, then char it with a weed torch, douse the flame with water, reassemble and soak it to swell it up. Then promptly fill it with bourbon.
I would not try to char the staves individually or break it down further to char it.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

Thank you. I think I will char it whole and use straight away for bourbon. It'll be a little bit before I can fill it. I've just started the first batch of several that will be required. I intend to use some backset for the remaining batches.

With this smaller barrel is there such at thing at too long for aging?

How many times can a barrel be reused for bourbon or should I make a scotch or some other whisky for the next time?
WildonionAB
Novice

Post by WildonionAB »

hawkwing wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:28 am Thank you. I think I will char it whole and use straight away for bourbon. It'll be a little bit before I can fill it. I've just started the first batch of several that will be required. I intend to use some backset for the remaining batches.

How many times can a barrel be reused for bourbon or should I make a scotch or some other whisky for the next time?
If you want to keep it authentic only once for Bourbon.
Then fill with rum or scotch style whiskey.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

hawkwing wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:28 am… With this smaller barrel is there such at thing at too long for aging?
In a cask that size, 2 to 3 years is NOT too long. It’ll be delicious. Too long would be after I’m dead. Unfortunately, my whiskeys are usually gone before they’re too old. Getting to 2 years is a stretch.
hawkwing wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:28 am… How many times can a barrel be reused for bourbon or should I make a scotch or some other whisky for the next time?
Sure, you can use it a couple of times, no problem. But, the color and caramel/vanilla notes will be diminished and aging will take more time. After 2 or 3 uses, they often need to be broken down and reconditioned. Or, you could use it for rum or something like tequilla where you don’t want a big oak expression.
ss
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

hawkwing wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:28 am Thank you. I think I will char it whole and use straight away for bourbon. It'll be a little bit before I can fill it. I've just started the first batch of several that will be required. I intend to use some backset for the remaining batches.

I’d char it if you can and soak/swell/seal it with hot water. Then empty it and start filling it. Plan on letting it sit for a year or longer as noted and consider making extra to keep in glass with some oak fingers to too it up.

I’ve used hungarian oak for wine. Vadai barrels. I’ve got one filled with port now which has been neutral for quite a while and will fill it with rum or something at some point. I might add a minimal amount of toasted or charred fingers for some subtle oak instead of taking it apart and reworking the inside. I think the port will add something good.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

Thanks all. I will char it and fill it but will wait until I have enough raw bourbon to fill it. I am only setup to do 20L batches in my still. I will try and get it done before it gets too hot to ferment in my place. I should have a few months.
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

Would you guys consider doing a partial beeswax coating to make the breathable area to volume ratio similar to a large barrel and thus the angels share similar to a large barrel too?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

hawkwing wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:01 pm Would you guys consider doing a partial beeswax coating to make the breathable area to volume ratio similar to a large barrel and thus the angels share similar to a large barrel too?
Nope. Not considered.
ss
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

hawkwing wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:01 pm Would you guys consider doing a partial beeswax coating to make the breathable area to volume ratio similar to a large barrel and thus the angels share similar to a large barrel too?
Nope. Never. Use it as intended and manage it for what it is and it will make good whiskey. Dink with it, and you'll just regret it later.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:17 pm
Nope. Never. Use it as intended and manage it for what it is and it will make good whiskey. Dink with it, and you'll just regret it later.
Ok will do. But if that’s the case shouldn’t the aging time be less too?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

If you have all this nice wood, don't coat it with beeswax!

Geoff
The Baker
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

The Baker wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:19 pm If you have all this nice wood, don't coat it with beeswax!

Geoff
On cutting boards beeswax brings out their beauty. It might even reduce stains. That said I'd have to leave some of it unwaxed. I probably won't wax it.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Beeswax would look fine on a cutting board.

Its only use on a barrel is where you might have a leak.
Or between staves if the barrel does not seal properly there.

Geoff
The Baker
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

I charred the barrel and swelled it up with distilled water. No leaks. Going to fill with bourbon white dog in a few days. when I charred it I notice that there was some finish probably polyurethane on the ends of the staves. One end got a bit burned off.
Before charring
Before charring
Charred lid
Charred lid
Charred inside
Charred inside
Soaking in fermenter
Soaking in fermenter
Holding water and not leaking
Holding water and not leaking
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I wish the barrels I tried to renovate turned out like that.
Might have another go at those two small barrels with a lot of beeswax in the cracks...

Geoff
The Baker
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

I used about a gallon of hot water a cup at a time on the ends and I caught the water and kept putting it back in the barrel plus added a gallon or two a day as my air still made it. I let the outside soak too in the fermenter. It swelled up pretty good. Took 2 to 3 days to stop leaking profusely. And another day or two for the top of the end to dry up completely.