Smallest aging container

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

OldManP
Swill Maker

Smallest aging container

Post by OldManP »

i got a few rules of aging down:
1) Aging in bulk is best
2) Less oak for longer is better than lots of oak for less time
3) Use charred or toasted based on personal preference.
4) Let the product air a decent amount of time to get rid of the nasties

My question is what do y'all consider the smallest amount to age is? I have several 1 gallon jars, but iffin' my product quantity increases soon...i plan on it going up...would y'all recommend against aging in wine bottles which i have an abundance of (both 750ml and 1.75L)?

If y'all advise against it, i'll just buy some more gallon jugs or pickle jars until it ages well enough and then transfer to wine bottles for long term keeping.

OMP
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
tracker0945
Trainee

Re: Smallest aging container

Post by tracker0945 »

OMP,

Rule 1 Aging in bulk is best
Rule 2 Refer to rule 1
Rule 3 Refer to rule 2
Rule 4 Refer to rule 3

:lol: Cheers.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

I age in quart jars and it works fine for me, but I also scale the amount of oak way down compared to what it seems most are doing too. I only use a couple pieces 3/4" square at most. Aging in bulk might be better, I've never tried it.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

time? as long as you can stand. What I do is to make extra, put away and forget it. then you can have several months or even years ahead.
got some more blood tubs coming if I ever hear any thing.just for that purpose.but I thank they just planted the acorns when I made my order.
lawnman 2
Novice

Post by lawnman 2 »

i age my stuff in a 5lt glass jugg full of american oak,let sit for about 4 weeeks and then bottle into 700ml bottles with oak stags in them with about 2- 3 oak stags per bottle so alawys on oak :D
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

I always age in one gallon minimum lots. I prefer to use two gallon or larger, and through bitter experience I've also learnt that less oak for longer is always better. If two sticks work, twenty will not be ten times better.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Jetzon
Swill Maker

Post by Jetzon »

I age mine in qt jars. I put 2 or 3 charred White Oak sticks in each qt jar.
This is what I do and Works for me.

1. I add 2-3 charred "finger size pieces of charred White Oak" to my qt jars.
2. I put them in my deep freezer for 24 hrs
3. after 24 hrs I take them out at night, remove the lids and put a coffee filter and rubber band and let them sit out over night with the lids off
4. I'll do that for 3-4-5 days checking each one until I get the right color going.
5. No more freezer time, But I leave the Oak sticks in them until I get the taste I'm looking for.
IMO. I think going from freezer to room temp pushes the alcohol in and out of the Oak sticks.
Ive found that pieces of White Oak with lots of Knots "Especially" a piece with a Huge knot in it Colors and Flavors in Half the time.
Again, this is what I do and seems to work for me. Everybody has there own taste and opinion.

Good luck

Jetzon
Keep on Keeping on...