Long term storage of rum dunder/backset

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

sphaleron
Novice

Long term storage of rum dunder/backset

Post by sphaleron »

Hey guys,

There's some info on this already in other threads but I wanted to canvas opinion on another method.

It is widely accepted that dunder recyling is a vital part of the flavour profile of a good rum. If you are continuously making rum then you continously have dunder available for your next ferment. However, I am only planning on making rum about once a year, so how do I store my dunder long term?

Other threads suggest:
- Freezing - I don't have a freezer big enough to store up to 10 litres of liquid!
- Adding neutral spirit to keep it sterile (at around 20% abv) - A possibility if I have enough neutral available.

What about the following method?
I can have a sterilised demijohn/carboy at the ready, sterilised either with heat or a standard brewing steriliser. When my final stripping run completes I can fill the carboy with boiling dunder straight from the boiler. The dunder is boiling hot so should be sterile itself. Sealing it with a sterilised bung should alow it to be kept for a year without spoilling?? This method is similar to long term fruit preservation in mason jars.

Comments welcome :-)
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Long term storage of rum dunder/backset

Post by still_stirrin »

Just freeze it. Or use it.

I don't know, I typically don't keep backset around for long. If I've got brewing sessions going, I'll just refrigerate it for a short while. Long term storage (if worth keeping), I'll freeze it. Otherwise, I'll feed it to the composte pile.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

You don't have to fill a glass carboy with boiling dunder to sterilize it...and I personally wouldn't, you run the risk of breaking the glass, this should be cooled to near room temp first. So the dunder doesn't have any sugars left, for anything super wild to call home and breed. You could possibly pick up a wild yeast or a fungus but that would still be a lot less than the infections the Rum HD's here are trying for, they want to reproduce infected dunder, to duplicate Naval Rums. So with your dunder...Bottle it...if it gets a small infection, so what, it's not going to ruin it, and it might ever improve it. Remember it's going to be added to a ferment or into low wines that are going to be distilled...nothing bad is going to come over with your spirit, don't sweet it...as we say here on HD "it all comes out in the wash" :P LOL
Last edited by kiwi Bruce on Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

200F degree dunder in a normal glass carboy will thermal shock it to all hell. It'll crack or shatter guaranteed....unless you've got one of those Pyrex/Borosilicate acid carboys...they are pretty stout.
Sungy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sungy »

I use 1.9 L canning jars.
The ones used for pickles.
sphaleron
Novice

Post by sphaleron »

Excellent advice guys as always. Thank you. I will simply bottle the cooled dunder and not be concerned if it get slightly infected!