Do you recycle feints of feints?

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Do you recycle feints of feints?

Postby sergiolis » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:12 am

Hi guys!!
I've been making Rad's AllBran neutral for a while and usually I recycle feints until I have enough to make a feints run..
On my experience from these feints runs i get about 50-60% of clean neutral... Every Feints run discarding foreshots but keeping heads and tails again...
I would like to know what are you doing with your heads and tails from a feint run.... do you discard them or do you keep them for the next feints run??
Maybe I'm so mirsely :D
sergiolis
Swill Maker

Re: Do you recycle feints of feints?

Postby thecroweater » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:35 am

no its called diminished returns
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
thecroweater
Site Mod

Postby Bushman » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:44 am

Usually throw it in with the next run until I reach the end of whatever generation I am working on. Very seldom save for an all fients run but when I do I am after a neutral then as Crow said not worth keeping.
Bushman
Global moderator

Postby HDNB » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:01 am

there's booze in it right?
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
HDNB
Site Mod

Postby StillerBoy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:01 am

I recycle the heads of wine brandy feint runs(as I distill lots of wine from a friend who has a brew shop).. when I have enough of heads collected, which have been reduced to 60% for storage.. then make a heads only run reduced to 35%.. still some very nice spirit from the heads.. and my feints runs, as my heads only, all done at reflux for 95%..

With my setup, a boiler load of 28L @ 35%, takes about 2 hrs to get out of the heads which is about 1.5L at a few drops per second, then will get a good 6L of very nice spirit..

Have done heads only runs with other base wash/mash..

Mars
StillerBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Alchemist75 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:06 am

After reading up on all feints runs I've opted not to do them. Foreshot and heads cut all go into a special container and they get used for cleaning my gear. Tails and backings get recycled in stripping runs, I add them back to the wash to go through again. I've noticed that doing this increases my final yield of drinkable spirit. You'd think there would be a steady build up of fusels but I've not observed this to be the case. I do make a relatively early tail cut on strips, 40% abv so the fusels may just not be getting through. I squeeze as much out as I can and this method seems productive.
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Postby JellybeanCorncob » Sun May 13, 2018 11:20 am

Normaly I will just put my feints (tails only) back in my strip wash’s. Last year I made lots of different whiskies, and abunch of rice vodka. lots of bottles with different feints. I deluded to 35% and threw the lot into my still and ran it. Cut to 62% and dropped 3 sticks of toasted chared oak in the bottle and put it in the shed.
I labeled the bottle “Old Tennis shoes” in honor of Steinbeck.
Gotta get into it and see what it tastes like. If it’s not to my liking I may play around with some of the essential oils I’ve been making and do a tincture or two. :?
JBC
Oh: The feints of my feints get thrown out with the bath water!
JellybeanCorncob
Swill Maker

Return to Sugar