Fermented, cold and racked shelf life

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Corkdork
Novice

Fermented, cold and racked shelf life

Post by Corkdork »

Monkey wrench time. 6 gallons demented to 1.0 SG, then in fridge for 3 days and racked... ready to distill...but guests coming to stay. I can't set up still and need to vacate the fridge. Question: How long a shelf life will the shine last before stilling???
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Fermented, cold and racked shelf life

Post by subbrew »

What is the ABV? You essentially have either beer or wine in your carboy. If you used good sanitation so no infections you have at least a couple of months. I sometimes bulk age wine or mead in a carboy for over a year. Even if you develop an infection you should have a month as most infections progress rather slowly.
Corkdork
Novice

Post by Corkdork »

Thanks for the reply! 6% ABV, stored in 6 1 gallon pickle jars. Always try for good sanitation. Liquid is clear, no faulty aromas.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Corkdork wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:06 am Monkey wrench time. 6 gallons demented to 1.0 SG, then in fridge for 3 days and racked... ready to distill...but guests coming to stay. I can't set up still and need to vacate the fridge. Question: How long a shelf life will the shine last before stilling???
Refrigeration or cold crashing can be helpful to speed up settling, but isn't required. It should be fine for weeks or months.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Corkdork »

Thanks, EXPAT! Will run it in a little over 2 weeks.