Buying and Storing bulk sugar (NZ)

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MihiT
Bootlegger

Buying and Storing bulk sugar (NZ)

Post by MihiT »

Any recommends on suppliers, and good ideas on storage, for bulk sugar?
I only ever buy/brew with "raw" sugar, and generally buy 10-20litres at a time from binn-inn.
But Looking to go bigger, probably a 44gal drum.
Any ideas? or better ways to store it?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Buying and Storing bulk sugar (NZ)

Post by NZChris »

Raw sugar is crystals that haven't had every last skerrick of molasses removed from the surface. It's cheaper to buy white cane sugar and add a dollop of molasses.

I buy mine at Gilmours, paying a bit extra for caster sugar because I'm a lazy bugger and it dissolves easier. If you are going commercial, it's probably best to deal directly with the refinery.
MihiT
Bootlegger

Post by MihiT »

Well i just filled my 44gal with molasses so that should be no problem. I hadn't noticed (in the small quantities I buy) that raw was more expensive, infact thought it was cheaper being less processed but then of course I haven't looked at white sugar for years.
I think raw was seen as less desirable "dirty, unrefined" as well.

Not going commercial but nice to have bulk stock on hand. I do this with most things I can't make or grow (and yeah I am growing sugar but we're aways off any great quantity)

Will give gilmours a bell and see what they can do. Cheers.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

MihiT wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:22 pm Well i just filled my 44gal with molasses so that should be no problem.
Where did you do that?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I grow sugar cane too, but don't have an efficient way of extracting the juice.
MihiT
Bootlegger

Post by MihiT »

NZChris wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:34 pm
MihiT wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:22 pm Well i just filled my 44gal with molasses so that should be no problem.
Where did you do that?
Stockfood supplier north of Town. $1.50+gst/kg.
MihiT
Bootlegger

Post by MihiT »

NZChris wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:38 pm I grow sugar cane too, but don't have an efficient way of extracting the juice.
Haven't got that far yet. But I love the idea of ground-to-glass liqour. Will be certain acreage set aside for wheat and barley next season.

Boiling it seems to be the go... I might go for a lower Input method, chain flail and solar-still kind of setup.
I think there's a few different varieties too, some better for chewing, some for syrup and some for crystalline sugar, but beggared if I know what I've got.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I store my sugar in 20liter pales with clip on lids .
We have massive ant problems so I dare leave a bag of sugar lying around .

I find it easy to pick up a pale of sugar and take it to where I need it . Trying to imagine shovelling sugar out of a 44 gal drum would be pretty messy .
LOL , the ants would have a field day on the accidental spillage
MihiT
Bootlegger

Post by MihiT »

Yummyrum wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:23 pm I store my sugar in 20liter pales with clip on lids .
We have massive ant problems so I dare leave a bag of sugar lying around .

I find it easy to pick up a pale of sugar and take it to where I need it . Trying to imagine shovelling sugar out of a 44 gal drum would be pretty messy .
LOL , the ants would have a field day on the accidental spillage
Good point...
Up till now I store it in 10litre wide-mouth ex-water bottles. Works well and keeps ants and rodents out, and yeah, easy to lug around.

Might have to find some 30-40litre sealed bins. Not too big not too small.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

A whole barrel of sugar to stockpile?? Wow.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

I'm in U.S. and buy 50# sacks of sugar from the local restaurant supply store (perks of living in an urban/suburban environment I guess). They carry white, brown (molasses re-added after processing in American jargon), and raw (unprocessed, remnant molasses still in there) for reasonable prices.

For storage, the local Tractor Supply (farm-type wholesale store) or even hardware store chains have 5 gal food grade buckets w/ lids. You'd need 2 to fit a 50# sack.

I also use rectangular plastic storage bins (30-40 gal) from hardware store with lids to discourage both 4 legged & 6 legged critters from getting into my grains/sugars. I work in my basement, so no problems so far (knock wood).

Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
AlWorms
Novice

Post by AlWorms »

MihiT wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:22 pm I hadn't noticed (in the small quantities I buy) that raw was more expensive, infact thought it was cheaper being less processed but then of course I haven't looked at white sugar for years.
Weirdly, in NZ, most "RAW" sugar is in fact white processed sugar with the molasses added back on :roll: It gives the flavour, but isn't actually raw - lots of people buy it thinking it's healthier.
MihiT wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:12 pm Stockfood supplier north of Town. $1.50+gst/kg.
Are you a Whangarei boy too?
MihiT
Bootlegger

Post by MihiT »

AlWorms wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:17 am ]

Weirdly, in NZ, most "RAW" sugar is in fact white processed sugar with the molasses added back on :roll: It gives the flavour, but isn't actually raw - lots of people buy it thinking it's healthier.
MihiT wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:12 pm Stockfood supplier north of Town. $1.50+gst/kg.
Are you a Whangarei boy too?
Yeah booi.

I was of the understanding "raw" or "coffee crystals" was what it said on the tin, and it was the "soft brown" that was powdered white with molasses added back. Not that I ever checked the truth of it.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

MihiT wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:01 pm I was of the understanding "raw" or "coffee crystals" was what it said on the tin, and it was the "soft brown" that was powdered white with molasses added back.
You are correct
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

AlWorms wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:17 am Weirdly, in NZ, most "RAW" sugar is in fact white processed sugar with the molasses added back on :roll: It gives the flavour, but isn't actually raw - lots of people buy it thinking it's healthier.
Considering it looks the same as what leaves the sugar mill, why would they go to the expense of all that processing when all they have to do is chuck it in a bag?
AlWorms
Novice

Post by AlWorms »

MihiT wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:01 pm Yeah booi.
:thumbup:
AlWorms
Novice

Post by AlWorms »

NZChris wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:01 pm Considering it looks the same as what leaves the sugar mill, why would they go to the expense of all that processing when all they have to do is chuck it in a bag?
Dunno, but Chelsea says: Raw sugar is granulated sugar that has a syrup coating on each crystals, giving it a beautiful golden colour and rich flavour. It’s made by dissolving, filtering and recrystallizing the raw sugar sent from sugar mills. Whatever that really means in marketing vs industry talk.

So they take raw sugar, and process it... to make raw sugar... :crazy:

It doesn't have the goodies we find in our "nasty" Molasses 8) You miss out on all that foaming and scum from the molasses :lol:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

AlWorms wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:33 am Raw sugar is granulated sugar that has a syrup coating on each crystals, giving it a beautiful golden colour and rich flavour. It’s made by dissolving, filtering and recrystallizing the raw sugar sent from sugar mills.
That's not even grammatically correct. Who writes what they put on their website?

I'd like to see what they catch in the filter.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

So who knows grammar now?

Geoff
The Baker
AlWorms
Novice

Post by AlWorms »

I just got some more this week (139 kg)... I'd wondered about the price you mentioned... it's correct!

However, it was only $1/kg +tax previous to this visit :( Still a good price though!

I just got 2x 210L stainless drums too, so 139KG only does 2 batches now :clap:
MihiT
Bootlegger

Post by MihiT »

The Baker wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:10 am So who knows grammar now?

Geoff
My gram'ma has been dead a few years now...
MihiT
Bootlegger

Post by MihiT »

AlWorms wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:56 pm
I just got 2x 210L stainless drums too, so 139KG only does 2 batches now :clap:
Cool, I'll pop in for a visit eh? :lol: