One point five distillations.

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kimbodious
Distiller

One point five distillations.

Post by kimbodious »

I was looking to build up stocks of wheat bran spirit (sugar wash) to experiment with ageing. The usual method of 4 x strips for 1 x spirit run (using the low wines) was taking too long. I thought I’d try a one point five distillation.

I stripped a double batch of wash, 2 x ~22 litres, and collected 15 litres of low wines. I then did a spirit run using the 15 litres of low wines plus a single 22 litre wash. If I had an extra fermenter, I could do the whole show on a single weekend.

I do the spirit run “low and slow” ie with a gentle heat up. I also go very deep collecting in small samples way past the tails. The product you collect after tails is what some call “sweet water”, it has a nice mouth feel and subtle flavour. The sweet water is excellent for proofing down the final blend to mid-low 50’s of 8-10 litres for ageing.

Give one point five distillations a try if you are low on stock and short on time.

Wheat bran recipe (for 22 litres)
one pack wheat bran 180 grams
5 kg raw sugar
1/3 cup baker’s yeast
1/4 cup crushed shell grit (pH buffer)
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Re: One point five distillations.

Post by Rrmuf »

I think I am looking at a 1.5 distilation from 2 batches of SCD's CROW Bourbon. I did my first batch and it was very 'rough' process-wise but I did distill the ferment into 3l of low-wines that I will, I think, add to a nice slow run of the next attempt at this recipe.
-- Rrmuf
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

I do this all the time, from my 55 gal fermenter I get two stripping runs, throw them back in the still and top off with the leftover fresh mash. Seems to work great for me.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

I believe I remember reading Odin's posts on this technique as a means to bring over more flavor during the spirit runs. But if it works on your sugar runs as a time saver/upped volume of end product, good on ya!
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

rubberduck71 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:05 am I believe I remember reading Odin's posts on this technique as a means to bring over more flavor during the spirit runs. But if it works on your sugar runs as a time saver/upped volume of end product, good on ya!
I treat my wheat bran spirit (pot stifled) as a faux whisky with oak ageing etc. The one point five distillation draws across some complexity in flavour from the wash. :thumbup:
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I'll also try to always ferment some extra for top up even if it's just enough for a "1.1" lol... I do use a smaller still sometimes for smaller spirit batches in conjunction with stripping on the larger boiler and will do the same to top up the spirit run..

I will use backset for top up (ie;1.5) too if I don't have enough fresh "wash".. Some folks say it doesn't help with flavor but in my mind it certainly did for the strip so why wouldn't it for the spirit...?

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Im a fan of 1.5 runs too :D
Have recently done a small test batch batch of angel AG, troublesome run so added it all to the sugar head run based off the same grain, very nice results

Kimbo - it may be time to add another element to your keg if your wanting some more striping speed, $40 well spent?
Maybe a bigger fermenter or 2?
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I have some amazing AG Sweet feed on oak upstairs. I made an AG COB and collected the low wines (9 gallons), and mixed it with 4 gallons of left over rum wash. Did a slow spirit run and came out awesome. :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:13 am I have some amazing AG Sweet feed on oak upstairs. I made an AG COB and collected the low wines (9 gallons), and mixed it with 4 gallons of left over rum wash. Did a slow spirit run and came out awesome. :thumbup:
Rumsky?

Geoff
The Baker
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I suppose you can call it that. But sweet feed is a particular recipe with corn oats barley and molasses. I just fermented them separately and used 1.5 process to run then as a single blend.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Bottling day! This batch of cask strength Soultan has been sitting on the oak pieces since December 29, 2020.

I pour the spirit in to the tall measuring cylinder up to the level shown by the red rubber band ~625 ml. I then pour the spirit in to the volumetric flask. I then use bottle spring water to make the volume up to the line on the neck 1000 ml. I cap the volumetric flask invert the flask 4 or 5 time for mixing and then pour the diluted spirt ~40% ABV into a bottle.

I let it sit in the bottle at least a week before drinking it.
1B7B18E5-E5E1-431D-B789-3E8B706CBCC9.jpeg
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

12.5 litres bottled, pretty quick operation with the right equipment!
It is not a spelling mistake, Soultan was the name of the sire of one of our dogs.
556961D1-E8D3-40B4-A30B-469D94FF7E49.jpeg
Last edited by kimbodious on Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

December 30th at 3.03pm we would like a taste test result
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Sporacle wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:54 pm December 30th at 3.03pm we would like a taste test result
I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have a sneaky swig :roll: . It is a sugar wash made using baker’s yeast and processed wheat bran. Oak is the dominant flavour on the aftertaste, nice mild buttery biscuity flavour otherwise.
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

kimbodious wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:44 pm
Sporacle wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:54 pm December 30th at 3.03pm we would like a taste test result
I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have a sneaky swig :roll: . It is a sugar wash made using baker’s yeast and processed wheat bran. Oak is the dominant flavour on the aftertaste, nice mild buttery biscuity flavour otherwise.
+1
I put a small test batch of Ted’s FFV on medium toasted french oak cubes @ 60% a little over a month ago. So far, so good. I’ll probably put more away like this.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

8Ball wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:03 pm
+1
I put a small test batch of Ted’s FFV on medium toasted french oak cubes @ 60% a little over a month ago. So far, so good. I’ll probably put more away like this.
I usually leave it 3 months minimum.
--
Modular 2" Pot Still