Coconut Sugar?

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

distiller_dresden
Trainee

Re: Coconut Sugar?

Post by distiller_dresden »

Just ordered this from Amazon for my coconut sugar wash - 13lbs at the moment in 5.5 gal volume wash fermenting at 72F with 493 EDV rum yeast -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IR ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It's pure coconut sugar - which is coconut flower nectar cooked down - but this isn't dried out all the way and is more like peanut butter. I'm hoping it's a little more intense in flavor. It also has:
magnesium, zinc, iron, potassium, vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, and amino acids, particularly high in glutamic acid

All those nutrients will help the wash health even more and I'm hoping the added moisture may also include some waxes and things that dry out or lose potency with the heating process turning it to sugar. I'll have it Monday and will add it to my wash, which has been working off for 5 days now.
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
nateboussad
Novice

Post by nateboussad »

The Biona Organic Coconut Sugar is listed as having 92.3g carbs per 100g, (although it says 0g sugars)
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

I had to give this stuff a try after bearded and bored's lambanog episode. And not being able to find enough short coconut trees to harvest sap from, found this stuff:

11.75 lbs Coconut sugar
1.64 gal coconut water
7.4 gal water
bakers yeast

SG 1.046
FG 0.996

The run was done with pot and thumper. After pulling fores and heads shot the thumper with fresh toasted coconut meat.

I really, really like this stuff. The price went up considerably since I bought it. If the price drops back down to 20 bucks or so a gallon I will be doing this again.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

juana_b wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:46 pm
After pulling fores and heads shot the thumper with fresh toasted coconut meat.

I suspect this had more influence on the final flavor than the coconut sugar.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

I think so, too. Delicate flavors with only coconut sugar.
I'm also wondering what a dunder pit with this stuff would do.
― Charles Ives
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

I can't let that flavor go to waste. Started a pit for this dunder. And since the coco sugar is waaayyy tooo expensive, found this molasses(best deal in the middle of the pacific ocean anyway).
― Charles Ives