Types of sugar

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: Types of sugar

Post by LWTCS »

Sugar Daddy's products are certified organic. The canes are also hand selected at the peak of ripeness rather than a mechenized harvest.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
knightmare1015
Novice

Post by knightmare1015 »

LWTCS wrote:Sugar Daddy's products are certified organic. The canes are also hand selected at the peak of ripeness rather than a mechenized harvest.
I love Dixie Crystal's products. Unfortunately I can only get it at one place and they're usually a little bit higher than everyone else including Domino's products.
AFP-VA-20005
Turbo Yeast method: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 7#p6816017
^ this for when you absolutely must use turbo yeast.
Chaise27
Novice

Post by Chaise27 »

On another topic board : http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2788 there's a comment with a link to essential oils for sale. I see they also sell flavored sugars. Further investigation and I find it's relatively easy to make flavored sugar. This could be an interesting spin on a sugarwash especially with a pot still to retain the flavour, or as a base for Schnapps vodkas?
https://www.facebook.com/chaise.taylor.92" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Georgi
Novice

Post by Georgi »

Here where I live, they don't disclose where the sugar comes from so it is kinda difficult to proceed, you have to taste each brand on your own or ask people.
Swamp_Donkey
Novice

Post by Swamp_Donkey »

Why would anybody waste a good biscuit soppin syrup to make alcohol is beyond me ???.
Prichard
Novice

Post by Prichard »

tony55555 wrote:So, what is the best and cheapest sugar to make ethanol with?
Sugarcane ethanol is an alcohol-based fuel produced by the fermentation. It developing a competitive sugarcane industry and making ethanol.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

I am really surprised there is not more talk about corn sugar here. Aside from the mention of GMOs a few posts back, I have seen it mentioned in a few recipe threads. But it isn't even listed in the OP here.

From what I remember of my beer brewing days (a library of knowledge I am considering throwing out the window for this hobby) corn sugar ferments out perfectly and imparts little to no flavor on the relying product, whereas cane sugar imparts a flavor profile. This is why corn sugar is used to prime beer bottles, cause it will carbonate the beverage without changing the taste. So if the goal is to make a wash resulting in a neutral flavor, it seems corn sugar would be a go to.

Also, anyone ever use Belgian hard candy?
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote:...Also, anyone ever use Belgian hard candy?
I've used it in a tripel (light candy) and a Belgian abby (dark candy). Its too expensive to use for a sugar wash however. By the time you've accumulated enough hard candy sugar for 3 stripping runs, it runs up quite a bill. And there is a residual flavor from the rock candy as well. Even in the beers, a little bit goes a long way for the flavors.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

still_stirrin wrote:
Hillbilly Popstar wrote:...Also, anyone ever use Belgian hard candy?
I've used it in a tripel (light candy) and a Belgian abby (dark candy). Its too expensive to use for a sugar wash however. By the time you've accumulated enough hard candy sugar for 3 stripping runs, it runs up quite a bill. And there is a residual flavor from the rock candy as well. Even in the beers, a little bit goes a long way for the flavors.
ss
Same here. I made a Dubbel Wheat that tasted a lot like Chimay.
Flavor is the main reason for using it. I was just curious how adding a few pounds to a standard sugar wash would change the flavor of the resulting ran through a pot still.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Doc Holliday
Novice

Post by Doc Holliday »

Hey Tader,
how do these sugars compare to sugar converted from corn. My question is what will i notice if i run a UJSM w/white sugar vs converting corn to sugar using malt or amylaze. is it worth the trouble to convert? i ran a batch using pressed corn from a brew store 17 lbs w/ 10 gal water= 5% ABV. not sure i cooked it hot enough or long enough, 165 1hr. BTW guys at SD are some of the best Ive ever dealt with, im very happy with equipment i have.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Doc Holliday wrote:Hey Tader,
how do these sugars compare to sugar converted from corn. My question is what will i notice if i run a UJSM w/white sugar vs converting corn to sugar using malt or amylaze. is it worth the trouble to convert? i ran a batch using pressed corn from a brew store 17 lbs w/ 10 gal water= 5% ABV. not sure i cooked it hot enough or long enough, 165 1hr. BTW guys at SD are some of the best Ive ever dealt with, im very happy with equipment i have.
Cant say Im not you.Questions your asking should be tried and decided by you.Let us know what you decide.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
SteamGuido
Novice

Post by SteamGuido »

Thank you Tader!
Doc Holliday
Novice

Post by Doc Holliday »

ok, i need to know if i cooked corn hot enough to pull all the starch out.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Doc Holliday wrote:ok, i need to know if i cooked corn hot enough to pull all the starch out.
Probably not. Did you do an iodine check? Try that to see if you have converted all the starch. A drop of iodine tincture in a spoon of the wash will stay amber colored if you were complete....it'll turn purple (almost black) if there is still starch in your wash.

Did you gelatinize the corn before your high temperature enzymes were added? Did you add any saccrafication enzymes?

I suggest looking at Booner's all corn recipe in the Tried & True forum for a successful mash protocol.
ss
youngdumbfullofrum
Novice

Post by youngdumbfullofrum »

what has a higher molasses content for rums? brown sugar or raw sugar?
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

Is this a trick question?

Raw sugar is what's left after sugar cane juice has been stripped to remove the natural molasses and other impurities. It has very little molasses.

Commercial brown sugar is table sugar with a little molasses added to it. It has a little more molasses. 4.5% - 10%.
I'm goin the distance...
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

MitchyBourbon wrote:Is this a trick question?l
:lol: :lol: :lol: laughed so hard I woke up my wife!
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Essayons
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Essayons »

Thanks!!
papapro
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by papapro »

So technicaly if we use sugar wash from sugar from sugar cane we make rum or if the sugar is made from corn that is whiskey
Yes I am a Novice with 40+ years of doing this hobby
distilling is like sex the slower the better and everyone is happy
fermenting is opposit to sex the faster the better
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

papapro wrote:So technicaly if we use sugar wash from sugar from sugar cane we make rum or if the sugar is made from corn that is whiskey
No rum requires molasses , molasses is the defining ingredient to rum just as grain is to whiskey
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Rod
Swill Maker

Post by Rod »

Lactose or milk sugar will not ferment
The Friendly Spirit
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Rod said, "Lactose or milk sugar will not ferment".

But it will if you get the right yeast. The type of yeast that eats sugar is called saccharomyces.
Wikipedia says 'Saccharomyces is a genus of fungi that includes many species of yeasts. Saccharomyces is from Greek σάκχαρ (sugar) and μύκης (mushroom) and means sugar fungus."

But there is a yeast that eats milk and milk products.
Wikipedia says 'Kluyveromyces lactis is a Kluyveromyces yeast commonly used for genetic studies and industrial applications. Its name comes from the ability to assimilate lactose and convert it into lactic acid.'

I have heard of K. marxianus and K. fragilis (not sure if they are alternative names for the same yeast) being used for distillation.
I would dearly love to get hold of some because I know a cheese-maker who would have lots of whey left over from the cheese-making....
In New Zealand lots of vodka is made from whey.
Geoff
The Baker
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

You will only do a lactic ferment just the once little goes a darn long long way :lol:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

thecroweater wrote:You will only do a lactic ferment just the once little goes a darn long long way :lol:
Thanks, crow.
I am guessing my beloved would not be happy about it happening in the back yard?
Geoff
The Baker
Biffy
Novice

Post by Biffy »

Quick question for you. Never heard of a sugar wash before a few days. Is this not just rum...technically? I used to manage restaurants wsy back and studied Hotel and restaurant mgmt. One of our courses was mixology and basically we were taught rum was a Caribbean version of sugar liquor.

Peace
B
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Biffy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:57 am Quick question for you. Never heard of a sugar wash before a few days. Is this not just rum...technically? I used to manage restaurants wsy back and studied Hotel and restaurant mgmt. One of our courses was mixology and basically we were taught rum was a Caribbean version of sugar liquor.

Peace
B
Rum is made from molasses, which is made from sugar cane syrup, of course. Ferments that use (processed) sugar are “sugar washes”. These names are kept separate for clarity. Preparing a sugar wash is different from a rum because of raw constituents present in the molasses, nutrients and oils, for example. Cane (table) sugar is fermentable entirely, however it does not provide nutrients for the yeast metabolism. So, supplemental nutrients are needed.

Sugar washes will finish with much less flavor than a molasses wash because of all the “other stuff” present in the molasses. In fact, it is these constituents that give rum its characteristic “rum flavor”. Sugar washes, on the other hand, usually draw flavor from other “stuff” added, like grains or fruit, etc., UJSSM for example.

Frankly, I’m surprised that you didn’t learn these facts during your Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism training.
ss
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

still_stirrin wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:13 am
Biffy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:57 am Quick question for you. Never heard of a sugar wash before a few days. Is this not just rum...technically? I used to manage restaurants wsy back and studied Hotel and restaurant mgmt. One of our courses was mixology and basically we were taught rum was a Caribbean version of sugar liquor.

Peace
B
Rum is made from molasses, which is made from sugar cane syrup, of course. Ferments that use (processed) sugar are “sugar washes”. These names are kept separate for clarity. Preparing a sugar wash is different from a rum because of raw constituents present in the molasses, nutrients and oils, for example. Cane (table) sugar is fermentable entirely, however it does not provide nutrients for the yeast metabolism. So, supplemental nutrients are needed.

Sugar washes will finish with much less flavor than a molasses wash because of all the “other stuff” present in the molasses. In fact, it is these constituents that give rum its characteristic “rum flavor”. Sugar washes, on the other hand, usually draw flavor from other “stuff” added, like grains or fruit, etc., UJSSM for example.

Frankly, I’m surprised that you didn’t learn these facts during your Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism training.
ss
Dunderhead used to play the devil's advocate at times and would say the spirit made with with White cane sugar was technically a rum.
He knew better of course.
Can be confusing in the same kinda way how grilled meat with BBQ sauce is not BBQ.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Biffy
Novice

Post by Biffy »

Was a long time ago...but we did learn it was from cane sugar. Curious though...does the rum colour come out dark from the sugar or us it from another reason?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Biffy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:33 am Was a long time ago...but we did learn it was from cane sugar. Curious though...does the rum colour come out dark from the sugar or us it from another reason?
How it was processed.

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/what ... 20molasses.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molasses
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Biffy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:33 am Was a long time ago...but we did learn it was from cane sugar. Curious though...does the rum colour come out dark from the sugar or us it from another reason?
Rum when it comes off the still is clear . It gets it colour from being aged in an Oak barrel . Same as Whisky and Bourbon . They are all clear straight iff the still .

Having said that , some spirits have distillers Caramel ( a burned sugar toffee) added to them to add extra colour .