Molasses

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Prairiepiss
retired

Re: Molasses

Post by Prairiepiss »

bigbuck wrote:so where would animal grade molasses fit in,or is it ever wise to use it??,been reading alot and still a little unclear on weather or not to use it
Many call it blackstrap and use it as such. I used some in my first rum wash. Nasty sticky stuff that will stain anything. Smelled like crap till I diluted it down and boiled it. Then it smelled like heaven. But not a lot of sugar left in mine. They vary so much. It added a ton of flavor to the end product. A little too much for me. So I was going to cut down on it in the second try. But I've since started experimenting with all panela for my rum washes. And I haven't tried blackstrap again.

You have to make sure it doesn't have and preservitives in it. Some have mold inhibitors. Mine had vegetable oil added. To help with flow so I was told.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
bcboyz86
Swill Maker

Post by bcboyz86 »

I found some molasses at the local restaurant supply store called Cash and Carry. It says there's 256 servings of 14grams of sugar which comes out to 3584 grams of sugar and that is roughly 7.9013lbs of sugar per gallon of this stuff... This seems more like a fancy molasses, would I be right in this assumption? It's pretty sweet like the other expensive molasses's I've bought... It's only $11 a gallon and its unsulphered too. I was kinda worried it would have preservatives that would keep it from fermenting, buts its on day 2 happily bubbling away. I was trying to do a PugiRum rum and it calls for a gallon of blackstrap and 2lbs of brown sugar, should I cut back the sugar because there's pretty much 8lbs of sugar in this molasses where as from my understanding blackstrap is pretty not full of sugar. Or should I not add any sugar and use more molasses because there's less molasses flavor and more sugar. Sorta like trying to balance the ratio or sugar to molasses...
..the smarter you get, the more you realize you don't know...
Aussie_Distiller1989
Novice

Post by Aussie_Distiller1989 »

How's this molasses look I think it's between fancy
And black strap not sure tho so I thought I would
Ask the pros :)

mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

bcboyz86 wrote:I found some molasses at the local restaurant supply store called Cash and Carry. It says there's 256 servings of 14grams of sugar which comes out to 3584 grams of sugar and that is roughly 7.9013lbs of sugar per gallon of this stuff... This seems more like a fancy molasses, would I be right in this assumption? It's pretty sweet like the other expensive molasses's I've bought... It's only $11 a gallon and its unsulphered too. I was kinda worried it would have preservatives that would keep it from fermenting, buts its on day 2 happily bubbling away. I was trying to do a PugiRum rum and it calls for a gallon of blackstrap and 2lbs of brown sugar, should I cut back the sugar because there's pretty much 8lbs of sugar in this molasses where as from my understanding blackstrap is pretty not full of sugar. Or should I not add any sugar and use more molasses because there's less molasses flavor and more sugar. Sorta like trying to balance the ratio or sugar to molasses...
That is where I shop. Their fancy molasses is great. Save your dunder and in a few batches you will be making some damn fine rum. Hick up..
bcboyz86
Swill Maker

Post by bcboyz86 »

Do you factor in the sugar from the molasses and subtract it from the sugar neededfor the wash? My SGs are really high, and just realized I'm not using blackstrap...so I was wondering if other people used this same molasses did the same...
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Yes you have to figure in the sugar content of the molasses. Many say that a hydrometer is worthless with a molasses wash. It may be a little off. But still will get you in the ballpark. If its reading high. I would dilute it down to a respectable level.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
bcboyz86
Swill Maker

Post by bcboyz86 »

Will cutting it with water dilute the flavor out too? Or does the flavor come over when your run it reguardless of the amount of water you cut it with to get the SG down?
Gamblor
Novice

Post by Gamblor »

I am now trying my hand at rum. I got a bucket of molasses at the farm supply store.

I've already used some of it, I was very careful with hygiene as I had an infection in one of my UJSSM batches. I sanitised everything - fermenter, bench, tools, hands, cup I used to get the molasses out of the bucket. Molasses was fine the first time I opened the bucket.

Two weeks later I'm ready to do the second batch. I notice the molasses bucket lid is raised, as if air pressure is high under there. I open the bucket to discover the entire top of it is covered with brown foam bubbles, a bit like dessert pudding when you whisk it. Its since gone down, but whatever it is, its still there.

Here are some photos of how it is now:

I am guessing its an infection. But it seems to only be on the surface, not in the molasses below. Is it probably still safe to use the molasses?
bcboyz86
Swill Maker

Post by bcboyz86 »

I would say go for it? The worst that can happen is it doesn't turn out, but if ya don't use it its worthless anyway... I say brew on!
ipee7ABV
Rumrunner

Post by ipee7ABV »

Gamblor wrote:I am now trying my hand at rum. I got a bucket of molasses at the farm supply store.

I've already used some of it, I was very careful with hygiene as I had an infection in one of my UJSSM batches. I sanitised everything - fermenter, bench, tools, hands, cup I used to get the molasses out of the bucket. Molasses was fine the first time I opened the bucket.

Two weeks later I'm ready to do the second batch. I notice the molasses bucket lid is raised, as if air pressure is high under there. I open the bucket to discover the entire top of it is covered with brown foam bubbles, a bit like dessert pudding when you whisk it. Its since gone down, but whatever it is, its still there.

Here are some photos of how it is now:

I am guessing its an infection. But it seems to only be on the surface, not in the molasses below. Is it probably still safe to use the molasses?
do a search for dunder pit and read what goes on in there
bcboyz86
Swill Maker

Post by bcboyz86 »

Looks like the start of a good dunder pit to me. Just maybe dilute that with some water and use it as dunder for the next rum washes. The infection flavors should bring out some nice vanilla/carmel flavors with the distillate.
Monty671
Novice

Post by Monty671 »

I am getting frustrated with my supply of molasses. The local Tractor Supply has been out for going on 2 months. I have gone to all the feed stores in a 45 minute drive and ended up with a total of 2 gallons for my effort.
Found a place I can buy in 5 Gallon "Pails" but they are almost 2.5 hours drive away.

The sad this is I have a major sugar production plant less than 1 hours drive. But they don't want to talk to you unless you plan on buying at least 250 gallons at once. I like Rum, but even I can't go through that much.

Will be using my last gallon this weekend. darn

I can not believe it is this hard to pay money to purchase a product.

Monty
Brendan
Rumrunner

Post by Brendan »

We are pretty lucky here in Australia, with an abundance of sugar cane and plenty of supply for the feed stores.

Monty, it sounds like you'll have to do that 2.5hr drive and stock up on a few 5L pails.. :D
Monty671
Novice

Post by Monty671 »

Maybe I should just get the 250 gallons. Then I could make enough to barrel just the best of the hearts and still have plenty to fill my 20 gallon barrel.

HEHE :D
madmace
Novice

Post by madmace »

so is it best to use unsulphured for rum. I am not concerned on price so much, just which one would make a better rum.
thanks
madmace
Novice

Post by madmace »

thank you but I found out unsulphured is the best
thanks
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

You should buy that 250 gallons and we can hold a rum clinic. I'll sign up for that.?
Only way to drink all day... is to start in the morning
hstuurman
Swill Maker

Post by hstuurman »

I've made a few molasse washes and I've got a simple question.
the recipe is a mix of molasse and cane sugar, SG 1080, but the fermentation ends rather high (1030), anyone experience with this?
Henk

Ambachtelijk Destileerderij Nes (Artisan Distillery Nes)
To conquer death, you only have to die
https://www.facebook.com/DestilleerderijNes?sk=wall
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Ive never got good readings from molasses washes, to much crap in it I reckon. Mine usually finish around that too. Also depends on the sugar content of your molasses, some are higher than others.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Ferguson
Novice

Post by Ferguson »

I found some feed molasses on Amazon, from Evolved Habitats.
But they add Propionic acid to inhibit bacteria. Would this also inhibit yeast?
Anyone use this stuff?
bonehead
Novice

Post by bonehead »

my son was in hawaii when they had the big molasses spill in the fall. all you needed were buckets and they would probably have paid you to cart that stuff away. i think it would have been fine if you heated it up to kill everything that got in it. it was feet thick in some areas. distillers to the rescue. we could use some good press.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

hstuurman wrote:I've made a few molasse washes and I've got a simple question.
the recipe is a mix of molasse and cane sugar, SG 1080, but the fermentation ends rather high (1030), anyone experience with this?
Molasses washes almost never ferment to 1.000 or below due to unfermentable suspended solids... A SG of 1.030 is not unusual, but a bit higher than what most washes would ferment to... A SG of 1.020 wouldn't be uncommon at all for a rum wash...
KDS111
Novice

Post by KDS111 »

Ferguson wrote:I found some feed molasses on Amazon, from Evolved Habitats.
But they add Propionic acid to inhibit bacteria. Would this also inhibit yeast?
Anyone use this stuff?
The gallon of wildlife molasses from tractor supply I bought has that preservative in it.
Its fermenting very well as I write this. It didn't state if it was unsulphered or not.
The wash is incredibly strong smelling when opening the bucket. The food grade washes never smelled like this one.
Thanks, Ken
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

legalost wrote:Has anyone ever uses deer feed molasses? It's at every tracker supply and rule king for about 10$.

http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/tractor/Fe ... e-Molasses
It says 82 brix. Its gotta be made for shiners not deer. Nobody is gonna have any idea what this means unless its a shiner or a farmer.
KDS111
Novice

Post by KDS111 »

halfbaked wrote:
legalost wrote:Has anyone ever uses deer feed molasses? It's at every tracker supply and rule king for about 10$.

http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/tractor/Fe ... e-Molasses
It says 82 brix. Its gotta be made for shiners not deer. Nobody is gonna have any idea what this means unless its a shiner or a farmer.
This is what I have fermenting now. The smell is awful, but its fermenting very well.
Thanks, Ken
googe
retired

Post by googe »

rad14701 wrote:
hstuurman wrote:I've made a few molasse washes and I've got a simple question.
Molasses washes almost never ferment to 1.000 or below due to unfermentable suspended solids... A SG of 1.030 is not unusual, but a bit higher than what most washes would ferment to... A SG of 1.020 wouldn't be uncommon at all for a rum wash...
+1 mine almost always go to 1.020.
"Homer J Simpson"
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

I went by to see a friend of mine at a farm he manages. He was grinding up some corn that day for feed. You guys would have crapped yourselves. He had a trailer full of corn that would pour out into a screw feed up to the grinder which was attached to the pto on the farm tractor. It had a side feeder on it that he had me pouring 50 lb. bags of dried feed molassas into. In about 20 minutes we ground around two pickup loads of corn and added 200 pounds of molassas to it. The hopper on the grinder then mixed everything and had a shoot we used to pump it into the feed bin with.

One day I will have to see how the dried molassas would ferment. It was from Southern States (a farm supply chain in this area) but I do not see it on their website. He told me a 50 lb bag was $18.

I just had to laugh when i think about us messing with little hand grinders and such..
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
hstuurman
Swill Maker

Post by hstuurman »

Thanks Rad and Googe, just what I thougt
Henk

Ambachtelijk Destileerderij Nes (Artisan Distillery Nes)
To conquer death, you only have to die
https://www.facebook.com/DestilleerderijNes?sk=wall
googe
retired

Post by googe »

This is what the refinery molasses I get here in aus contains.
Attachments
13880335890891.jpg
"Homer J Simpson"
Oilfield Trash
Novice

Post by Oilfield Trash »

I get my Blackstrap molases in 5 gallon buckets from Webstaurant.com $26.49 + delivery (which is almost as much as the cost of the molasses itself.) When I get 3 x 5 gal buckets, it works about to about $10-11/gallon (~$150 total delivered via FedEx). Cheapest I've found. If you try to order more than 3 x 5 gal, then they want to truck ship it.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/molasses.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Still looking for a good combination of Texas, Pirates and OFT to make a sigature

Oilfield Trash