Molasses

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MyUncleMo
Swill Maker

Re: Molasses

Post by MyUncleMo »

Oilfield Trash wrote:I get my Blackstrap molases in 5 gallon buckets from Webstaurant.com $26.49 + delivery (which is almost as much as the cost of the molasses itself.) When I get 3 x 5 gal buckets, it works about to about $10-11/gallon (~$150 total delivered via FedEx). Cheapest I've found. If you try to order more than 3 x 5 gal, then they want to truck ship it.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/molasses.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Still looking for a good combination of Texas, Pirates and OFT to make a sigature

Oilfield Trash
Hey I just found this too.
Shipping is crazy.

How about that feed store stuff?
Back to reading!!!

Effective: 08/06/10
Replaces: 06/28/10
Blackstrap Molasses
Specifications:
Physical Properties
Color Dark brown
Texture Free flowing liquid
Flavor Robust
Chemical Properties
pH 5.0 - 6.5
Brix, % 79.0 – 80.0
Ash, % 10.0 - 15.0
Invert Sugars, % 6.0 - 22.0
Total Sugars, % 45.0 - 60.0
Sucrose, % 30.0 - 46.0
Microbiological Characteristics:
Total Plate Count <5000/g
Mold <200/g
Yeast <200/g
Coliforms/g <10
E.coli/30g negative
Salmonella sp./100g negative
Packaging:
Pail 59 lbs.
Drum 644 lbs.
Tote 3000 lbs.
Tanker 45,000-48,000 lbs
Gallon 11.7 lbs.
Quart 2.92 lbs.
Pint 1.46 lbs.
Ingredient: Molasses
Shipping Temperature: 50-75F
Storage: Recommended handling and storage temperature for molasses and molasses blends is between 50°F and 75°F. Best results are obtained if conditions of temperature and humidity are reasonably constant.
Shelf Life: Recommended shelf life for molasses and molasses blends is up to 6 months.
Treatment: Blackstrap molasses is not treated in any way with irradiation, steam, ethylene oxide or other similar process.
Kosher: Certified
My Uncke Mo taught me how to make apple Jack when I was in 6th Grade.

Questions? Read this first...
http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 15&t=52975
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Never more perplexed...

Look at this dried Baker's Molasses...food grade powder, no shipping, no preservatives, kosher,...remember, with this stuff you're not buying or shipping water...free shipping in the U.S.

http://www.bulkfoods.com/sweeteners-dis ... ounds.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

DAD300 wrote:Never more perplexed...

Look at this dried Baker's Molasses...food grade powder, no shipping, no preservatives, kosher,...remember, with this stuff you're not buying or shipping water...free shipping in the U.S.

http://www.bulkfoods.com/sweeteners-dis ... ounds.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
What water to powder ratio do ya reconstitute this at for what Brix/SG.? It doesn't mention it on the site.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

The sheet that comes with the bag tells the contents and the mixing ratios to imitate six brands of molasses, Blacksrtap, fancy table,...

If I remember right, the powder has a 65% sugar content.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
DSP-AR-20005
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Great reading, just want to post to this to keep abreast of any new postings. :)
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
dan_buddy
Bootlegger

Post by dan_buddy »

Does anybody no how to the the " home brew" taste outa my rum ?
Doing all 10% mashes or must what ever you want to call it I tryed everything and I can't get somthing that taste like its store bought
Alcohol cant help your problems , but nether does water.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Age my friend, some even age on wood and then carbon filter.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
srs787
Bootlegger

Post by srs787 »

I ordered 4x! gal of the Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses from the Webstaurantstore for $58 with shipping. I mixed 1 gal. with 5 gal. water to get a sg of 1.068 @ 80F. I then added 4 ibs dark brown sugar to sg 1.092 @ 80F. I put this mixture in a 8 gal plastic fermenter with yeast and other helpers. In 3 days it is at sg 0.998. Great. Almost amazing. I racked it to a 5 gal. glass carboy and a 1 gal. glass jug , with airlocks. After a week it has dropped yeast and brown crud to about 3/4 inch in each jug. I am going to let it set for maybe 2 weeks. Run it and use some backset for gen. 2. It was a very good fermenation compared to feed and garden grade blackstrap I have done.
Shine NOLA
Bootlegger

Post by Shine NOLA »

Well if your in Florida or willing to pay shipping
http://www.dbl-s.com/store/index.php?ap ... =471-100-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
it's the cheapest i can find
for everything bad, whiskey; for everything good, the same
captnKB
Novice

Post by captnKB »

srs787. How did your rum turn out using web restaurant molasses? I am trying to decide from them or to use molasses international
Kamil
Novice

Post by Kamil »

Maybe orients, how is the price of the supply of molasses to Polish?
http://www.dbl-s.com/store/index.php?ap ... =471-100-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Because I have not received e-mail response. :-(
"I to wszystko bez najmniejszej kropelki rumu." - Jack Sparrow (Piraci z Karaibów)
"Dlaczego rum!?" - Jack Sparrow
"Dlaczego zawsze brakuje rumu?" - Jack Sparrow
captnKB
Novice

Post by captnKB »

ended up sourcing 3 varieties of molasses for my experiments. two of them came from international molasses and one was from some other brand. so far my favorite has been the light and sweet molasses from international. it makes a real nice light rum. paid about 50 bucks for a 5 gallon pail of it
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

captnKB wrote:ended up sourcing 3 varieties of molasses for my experiments. two of them came from international molasses and one was from some other brand. so far my favorite has been the light and sweet molasses from international. it makes a real nice light rum. paid about 50 bucks for a 5 gallon pail of it
Were you able to order directly from international? I had contacted them a year or so ago and they didn't deal with the public. Did $50.00 include shipping?
JustinCase
Novice

Post by JustinCase »

still crazy wrote:This is kind of off topic but a very interesting history sidenote
I have worked in this area and on a hot summer day you can smell the molasses

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-grea ... od-of-1919" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
What a cool site. There went my afternoon wasted at damninteresting.com reading some really damn interesting stuff.
BourbonStreet
Swill Maker

Post by BourbonStreet »

Does molasses totally mess up SG readings? I read it can. I just did a batch of Pugirum, and it finished at 1.06. The OG was 1.13, so that comes to about 8% ABV. I tasted it; it's definitely alcoholic, (tastes almost like Guinness) and has no sugar left. I ran this same wash last year and it turned out great. I don't remember what the FG was then.
Monkeyman88
Rumrunner

Post by Monkeyman88 »

Yes. There's a lot of unfermentable sugars in molasses that the hydrometer will read.
BourbonStreet
Swill Maker

Post by BourbonStreet »

OK, great. I figured as such. I put in 1 gallon feed grade blackstrap, with 2 pounds brown sugar to bring the fermentables up. Basically, it's the Pugirum recipe cut in half. I figure it's about 6-7 pounds of fermentables in a 5 gallon wash. That should make about 8% ABV.
frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Post by frodo »

molasses, before it is molasses is squeezed sugar cane,

i contacted the local syrup maker, and missed the squeeze by 2 weeks for this year.
DAMNIT. but, have reserved 5 gallons of fresh squeeze cane juice for next oct/nov harvest.

looking to swap a gallon fresh cane squeeze next year for a gallon fresh maple drippings
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Prairiepiss wrote:Yes you have to figure in the sugar content of the molasses. Many say that a hydrometer is worthless with a molasses wash. It may be a little off. But still will get you in the ballpark. If its reading high. I would dilute it down to a respectable level.
Hey Prairiepiss, I know this is an old thread, but am considering making a rum for a client. I'm reading through a lot of the postings, and detect an issue with un-fermentable sugars, which I'm assuming are 'complex' sugars that the yeasts can't untangle.

Wondering if the use of commercial enzymes may improve the results? Do you have any experience using enzymes with these molasses washes?

Boom
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

dont know if this will help,,,you show 25 pounds for $70.00

this is 50 pounds for $25 bucks [ animal grade]

http://www.shop.com/Ridley+Inc+47975+50 ... aQodfK0Pwg
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

frodo wrote:

dont know if this will help,,,you show 25 pounds for $70.00

this is 50 pounds for $25 bucks [ animal grade]

http://www.shop.com/Ridley+Inc+47975+50 ... aQodfK0Pwg
Since this stuff "has most of the sugar" removed, how do you use it? Do you mix sugar back into the powder and then add it back into a Mash? Are there instructions on the packaging?
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

We have two dif products here.

Dried Molasses is an animal feed that has 95% of the sugar removed. It is the waste stalk of the process, ground for animal bulk feed. You can buy sugar cheaper.

Bakers Molasses is food grade molasses dehydrated, all the sugars are still there. But you don't pay for shipping the water!
DSP-AR-20005
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

has any one tried Sorghum ? different plant but basically the same thing

Molasses and Sorghum - What is the difference? At Grandma’s Pantry, customers often ask this question. Here is some information that might help to answer this question (along with a delicious recipe). The sorghum plant, which is a type of grass, was introduced into the United States from Africa in the early part of the 17th century. Sorghum syrup is a natural sweetener made by processing the juice that is extracted from the sorghum plant. Special milling equipment extracts the juice from the crushed stalks, and evaporating pans with heating units steam off the excess water leaving syrup. Sorghum syrup is produced primarily in the United States and is used as a substitute for sugar. It tends to have a thinner consistency and a slightly more sour taste than does molasses. Sorghum contains vitamins and minerals and is a good source of phosphorus, magnesium, thiamin and omega 6 fatty acids. Molasses was also introduced to the United States during the 17th century when traders started transporting it from the Caribbean to New England where much of it was made into rum. Molasses was the most popular sweetener until the late 19th century because it was more affordable than sugar. Molasses is the by-product of processing sugar cane into sugar. The sugar cane plant is stripped of its leaves and the juice is extracted from the cane by crushing or mashing. The juice is boiled to concentrate it, which produces crystallization of the sugar. The result of the first boiling and removal of the sugar crystals is called “first molasses” (mild) and is the sweetest tasting. “Second molasses” (dark) is created from a second boiling and removal of sugar crystals. “Blackstrap” is the result of a third boiling of the syrup. The darker molasses is considered bittersweet. Sulfured molasses is made from young sugar cane - sulfur dioxide is added as a preservative. Unsulfured molasses is made from mature sugar cane which does not require a preservative. Molasses contains significant amounts of vitamins and minerals and is a good source of calcium, magnesium, potassium and iron. Sorghum and molasses may be stored on the shelf for up to 2 years. Once they are opened, they can be stored up to a year, if properly stored in the refrigerator to retard mold growth. If mold growth does appear, the syrups should be discarded. If the syrups crystallize, it does not cause any harm and the syrups can be liquefied by placing them in a larger container of hot water until melted. Sorghum and molasses are old-fashioned sweeteners - many people have grown up using them. Molasses is the sweetener generally preferred for cooking and baking, while sorghum is popular as a syrup. Grandma’s Pantry has a great supply of molasses and sorghum for your cooking and eating pleasure. We will be happy to supply your pantry

i did not include the cookie recipe
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

DAD300 wrote:The sheet that comes with the bag tells the contents and the mixing ratios to imitate six brands of molasses, Blacksrtap, fancy table,...

I just received a bag of 25 lbs of this dried molassas, but there were no instructions. I hope to use it to make a rum, but have no idea how to reconstitute it. Is there a formula around, and while at it,

in terms of a 20 gallon batch, how much dry molassas would be needed to make a 'medium' rum?

Boom
frodo
Distiller

Post by frodo »

http://www.ohly.com/products-by-applica ... der-mrd-60

half pound of water to a pound of powder ?
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

BoomTown wrote:
DAD300 wrote:The sheet that comes with the bag tells the contents and the mixing ratios to imitate six brands of molasses, Blacksrtap, fancy table,...

I just received a bag of 25 lbs of this dried molassas, but there were no instructions. I hope to use it to make a rum, but have no idea how to reconstitute it. Is there a formula around, and while at it,

in terms of a 20 gallon batch, how much dry molassas would be needed to make a 'medium' rum?

Boom
I go through a lot dry molasses for reasons not related to distilling or brewing. However, I use the dry molasses at the same weight as I would liquid molasses to achieve a similar brix in my liquid solution.

My guess is that 1.5-2 lbs per gallon will be ideal.

It's a total pain in the butt to dissolve IMO. I use a large submersible pump and a 55 gallon reservoir to mix it up.

There will likely be higher quantities of undissolved material/s in the mixture. I think this may be due to some of the common additives in dry molasses: "Molasses, Wheat Starch, Soy Flour, Calcium Stearate, Soy Lecithin"
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Boom,

Remember the dried molasses is a waste product for bulk feed that has almost no sugar in it.

I'll look for the instruction sheet for Baker's Molasses, not dried molasses. The instruction sheet showed how to make the powder taste like BRANDS of molasses. Two cups of powder to two cups of hot water...that kind of stuff.

It is 65% sugar...so, I would figure every 2 pounds would give you 1.3 pounds of sugar, to a gallon and an SG of 1.06 and make 8.9% ABV.

Your 25 pound bag of Baker's Molasses is the equivalent of ~19 pounds of sugar. In 20 gallons wash/mash would yield 1.046 SG for 7% ABV... handy that 25 pound bag. This would make for a very heavy rum.

I have always used half and half...half Baker's and half white sugar to cut it a little. So 12.5 pounds of Baker's molasses and 12.5 pounds of white sugar, in 20 gallons, gets you close to 8% ABV and a lighter rum.

There are lots of nutrients in the 35% non sugar of the Baker's Molasses...with a good dead yeast bomb and DADY, at 80 F, this will ferment dry in 3-4 days. Leave a lot of room in the fermentor.

If you don't use DAP or too much B vitamin, it is a great grog/beer.

As they say, "YMMV."
DSP-AR-20005
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

DAD300 wrote:Boom,

Remember the dried molasses is a waste product for bulk feed that has almost no sugar in it.

I'll look for the instruction sheet for Baker's Molasses, not dried molasses. The instruction sheet showed how to make the powder taste like BRANDS of molasses. Two cups of powder to two cups of hot water...that kind of stuff.

It is 65% sugar...so, I would figure every 2 pounds would give you 1.3 pounds of sugar, to a gallon and an SG of 1.06 and make 8.9% ABV.

Your 25 pound bag of Baker's Molasses is the equivalent of ~19 pounds of sugar. In 20 gallons wash/mash would yield 1.046 SG for 7% ABV... handy that 25 pound bag. This would make for a very heavy rum.

I have always used half and half...half Baker's and half white sugar to cut it a little. So 12.5 pounds of Baker's molasses and 12.5 pounds of white sugar, in 20 gallons, gets you close to 8% ABV and a lighter rum.

There are lots of nutrients in the 35% non sugar of the Baker's Molasses...with a good dead yeast bomb and DADY, at 80 F, this will ferment dry in 3-4 days. Leave a lot of room in the fermentor.

If you don't use DAP or too much B vitamin, it is a great grog/beer.

As they say, "YMMV."
Thanks DAD, I may have already screwed this up. I ordered 'bakers molasses' but the bag I got doesn't have any brand name for manufacturer's info with it. I'm just hoping it is what I ordered. I tried 4 (dry) cups of powder per gallon of H20. That turned pretty 'sticky' so maybe it has the sugar in it. Had a devil of a time re-blending the MO, so then I tried 2 lbs of powder with 4 lbs of white sugar (all dry). I mixed the dry material with a paint blender, and then added that to the H20. That worked better for blending without big lumps. I made more and added this mix to the H20 (20 gallon, @ 90f degrees) until I pumped the SG up to 1.060. It smells like molasses, is thin, and tastes like a very thin pancake syrup version of blackstrap MO. Probably didn't use enough MO powder heh? Made a yeast bomb and pitched.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

The Molasses solids will mes up the SG reading (make it read higher than it actually is. But wither way it will make alcohol!

I always invert sugar and the molasses mixes easier in hotter water.
DSP-AR-20005
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

DAD300 wrote:The Molasses solids will mes up the SG reading (make it read higher than it actually is. But wither way it will make alcohol!

I always invert sugar and the molasses mixes easier in hotter water.
Made my 2nd MO Rum batch this morning. Am still wondering if I should use enzymes. I'm comfortable with the sugar, but wondering if the MO has any complexities that the enzymes can hack up?

B