Refermenting a sugar wash

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

AkCoyote
Swill Maker

Refermenting a sugar wash

Post by AkCoyote »

I just did a run from a sugar wash and it was obvious that the wash didn't completely ferment. I used about 6 gallons of water, 15 lbs of sugar with a turbo yeast. What was different this time was that I left the bucket in a room that never got over 60F and the run produced less than 1/4 gallon of spirit. When the run was done I tasted the wash and sure enough, it was sweet and hadn't fermented completely. So my question is, can the wash be fermented a second time by adding some more sugar and a new batch of yeast? With a sour mash whiskey the backset can be used over and over so would the same thing apply to a sugar wash Just curious.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Refermenting a sugar wash

Post by Dnderhead »

two things happened the temperature and also to much sugar.
I dont thank its worth saving "IT'S A TURBO"
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

Just start over, 10 lbs sugar, 6 gallons water, bread yeast, bag of raisins, ferment, distill, enjoy.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
AkCoyote
Swill Maker

Post by AkCoyote »

The yeast was a Turbo48 and it said to use 7KG of sugar and 6 gallons of water so 15 lbs was just right. I think I'll try it and distill along with a clean batch just to see what happens. I thought maybe someone had tried it and might have some first hand experience. Heck, if 'moonshiners' can distill on the grain, anything is possible :eh:
ipee7ABV
Rumrunner

Post by ipee7ABV »

check the ph add yeast :shock:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Just because "they" said to use that much sugar doesn't mean "they" were right... Take some time to do research in these forums and you'll soon find that "Turbo Greed" is not a good thing at all... The best you could expect is more foreshots, heads, and tails, and less additional good quality hearts...

Experiment with some of the Tried and True recipes and you'll have far better results... There is a reason those recipes don't push yields up into the "Turbo Greed" range...