Metering a sugar wash

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Max_Vino
Bootlegger

Metering a sugar wash

Post by Max_Vino »

Metering wash
The general concept here is to add sugar, nutrients and potassium carbonate to the wash, incrementally over time to reduce stress on the yeast. It’s advantages are:
*Reduces negative osmotic pressure on the yeast cells
*Keeps the Ph in an optimum range
*Control the rate of fermentation, reducing overheating
*Achieves a higher sugar to alcohol conversion
This information applies to those who are interested in vodka distillation. Achieving a higher alcohol content of the wash means less time distilling and there is no reason this can't be done while avoiding off flavors or stuck fermentations. In the wine industry high alcohol washes are common with Zinfandel averaging 15.5%.

Sugar and Osmosis
Increasing the amount of sugar is correlated to higher levels of yeast activity up to a 10% sugar threshold, at which point yeast growth becomes inhibited. The problem is that the high concentration of sugar creates a negative osmotic pressure on the yeast cells depriving them of water and nutrients essential to their reproductive cycle. The osmotic properties of a yeast cell are due to selective permeability of the cell wall with regard to solutions. This selectivity plays an important role in controlling the movement of nutrients into a cell. Nutrients are present in the wash in the form of ions, sugar, and amino acids. The permeability of the cell wall also permits the release of alcohol and carbon dioxide from the cell during fermentation. Yeast then is very sensitive to the osmotic conditions it finds itself in. This sensitivity varies with different yeast strains, with some being better suited than others for fermenting. I wonder if “high alcohol resistant” yeasts, like turbo, aren’t really Osmotolerant yeast something the baking industry has been using for years.

Rehydration
Re-hydration of yeast in water is recommended because of the principles of osmosis. Simply tossing dry yeast into a high sugar solution won’t help the yeast get off to a healthy start. In a wash with a high concentration of dissolved sugar, the water that the yeast needs cannot be drawn across the cell membrane to wet it. The water is instead locked up in the wash, hydrating the sugars. Scott Labs makes a rehydrating solution called Go-Ferm. Here is what they say: "Go-Ferm® is a natural yeast rehydration nutrient containing a balance of micronutrients. It was developed to enhance kinetics and thereby potentially avoid problem fermentations. Suspend Go-Ferm in the rehydration water before adding the selected active dried yeast culture. The yeast soak up the valuable bio-available micronutrients as they rehydrate. Infusing yeast with these essential nutrients arms them against ethanol toxicity and optimises nutrient availability to the rehydrating yeast culture. The result is fermentations that finish stronger. "
http://www.scottlab.com/product-102.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Ph and carbonic acid
The next problem with high sugar concentration washes is the production of carbonic acid from CO2 . More sugar means more CO2 which in turn produces more carbonic acid. The excess CO2 generated will cause a rapid drop in Ph. Since there is no buffering material present in the sugar solution, the pH will drop from an initial pH of about 5.0 to 5.5 down to as low as 2.7. This low pH will stress the yeast and it may never recover. Numbers like this can lead to a die off of the yeast.

Rate and excessive heat
Higher sugar solutions can lead to excessive heat and are another source of yeast die off thus several manufactures of yeast nutrients often recommend metering in several doses appropriate nutrients to control the rate of fermentation. Flavor compound formation is affected quite heavily by the fermentation temperatures; higher temperature fermentations produce less esters and more higher alcohols. Yeast microbes contain biological catalysts called enzymes. These enzymes speed up the conversion of sugar to alcohol. Most enzymes are proteins, and can be destroyed (denatured) by heat. So adding the nutrients along with the sugar seemed to make sense in that the supplements are there when the yeast are ready for them.

Nutrients and substrates
Two common yeast supplements are Fermaid K and DAP.
Information on Fermaid K: http://www.scottlab.com/product-104.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
DAP (Di-Ammonium Phosphate): Source of yeast assimilable nitrogen to inhibit the possible formation of hydrogen sulphide (rotten egg gas) during fermentation, and to assist in obtaining complete fermentation of the sugar. Using DAP in conjunction with Fermaid K is a common practice with some sugar washes.

Substrates
I tested Fermaid K and DAP in a stand alone fashion and didn’t get the high conversion rates Alcotec or turbo gets. I then tried using a substrate. By substrate I mean a organic material the supplies nutrients among other things, to the yeast. I don’t think that a substrate is ultimately needed but I tested several and they all outperformed washes without them. From all the reading I have done on this and other sites I chose tomato paste. Tomato paste contains all the nutrients listed in other supplements but I don’t think that is the reason they work so well. It may be that they contain phytochemicals, or it could be something we haven’t thought of....
I looked at several, apple including the pulp and barley also did well.

Test Equipment
I was totally dismayed at how inaccurate the various methods of measuring alcohol content were so I built a ebulliometer. This turns out to be very accurate especially towards the end of a ferment. More information on the one I built can be found here: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=43241

Conversion of sugar to alcohol
The convention for estimating potential alcohol is that the expected alcohol content of a sugar solution is 16.5 to 17.2 grams of sugar per 1% alcohol per liter, by total volume. In practice, ethanol yields observed are 90 to 95% of theoretical. I use a goal of 90%. Using those numbers then at 90% efficiency we should be able to get 16-17% from a total volume of 3.1 liters containing 1kg sugar.

The tests:
Set 1: Alcotec yeast did a amazing job fermenting up to 16.5% in a very short time. According to their advertising it should have gone higher. I am concerned about the rate going from1% to 14% in three days. A plain sugar wash or a sugar wash with some nutrients was not enough.
sugar graph 1.jpg
Set #2: Here I am using the same nutrients but with differents substrates. The advantage of substrates is evident. I liked tomato Paste because it was a little slower than apple.
sugar graph 2.jpg
Set #3: Finally I am comparing various metering strategies with a non metered one. It’s interesting how treating yeast with respect makes all the difference. The clear winner if the trials was #4...The slowest. I also liked the rate of fermentation taking two weeks to finish. Similar to wine.
sugar graph 3.jpg
Conclusion
Finally there are the taste tests. These fell into two categories. Tasting the wash, then distilling and blind tasting the results.
Wash tasting:
I was surprised to find #3 and #4 Tasted similar to a diluted wine with a yeasty note, like fresh bread on the nose. No off taste.
Vodka tasting:
The wash was distilled to 95.6% purity. The taste test is done blind...the same way I have conducted wine tastings over the years, I included 3-4 high end products i.e. Absolute, Gray Goose. etc. I had four different tasters. This product came out the winner over all of those.
Finally this is not a scientific effort so don’t take it as fact. The principals of metering nutrients and adjusting Ph during the ferment are fairly common and well established. Metering sugar creates osmotic conditions favorable to the yeast so I think it’s worth further exploration.

Cheers,
Max
steve2md
Swill Maker

Re: Metering a sugar wash

Post by steve2md »

I like your study and the info to back it up. I've toyed with this with high gravity beers, and don't see why it couldn't apply to other things if played out carefully. Experimentation is how any hobby progresses. Give it a shot. Then you'll know if it works for you or not. For some reason, there is a pervasive thought that "all" yeasts hate alcohol over 10%, which I don't agree with. I have used a barleywine yeast that was selected and bred for 12-14% without excessive esters to make pretty awesome trippel beers in the past at about 13%. Remove the hops from my recipe and you have a high yield malt whiskey recipe, in theory. Hard to say without trying it if the smoothness is lost when a wash goes above 10%. Things that make you go hmmmmmm
I told the officer "I have my .45 on my hip, a 9mm in the console, and my shotgun under the seat" He said "Damn! What are you afraid of?" "Nothing" I replied...
Lester
Swill Maker

Post by Lester »

This is outstanding information Max. :thumbup: So by metering sugar into the wash over a period of several days you get higher alcohol concentration without the off tastes. I will try it myself but will use rice bran as my substrate.

Thanks!
Last edited by Lester on Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.
Reboiler: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=43653
Thermometer: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=43379
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

nice graphs. Would be interesting to see the same experiments carried out with varying the surface area of the ferment
I had something similar in an experiment with yeast starters. My theory was that oxygenation of the wort is not necessary if a viable starter of large enough volume was introduced. I proved it to be true ( along with several other brewers) although my data sadly went to the dump with the old dead computer. Still to this day, and that had to be 15-20 years ago, I do not oxygenate my wort. I instead introduce a yeast colony large enough to skip the aerobic phase (already done)
Experiments like these are what further our craft although most folks are hesitant to believe anything that is not written in a book written by someone who's name they can recognize.
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

Very interesting great read. Metering is the technique generally used for making high gravity/high alcohol wine. The only thing I find missing from your experiments and observations was some attention to yeast nutrition. For example, yeast need various nutrients but getting the concentrations of each nutrient correct is also very important. The relationship between calcium and magnesium is very important. I have observed fast ferments with strong finishing using ratios of 2:1 and up to 6:1 with the ratios favoring magnesium. I found the opposite when I reversed the ratio.

I would not leave the detail of proper yeast nutrition to fermade, Dap or tomato paste.
I'm goin the distance...
Max_Vino
Bootlegger

Post by Max_Vino »

Mitchy & Belly

Yes I agree....metering of nutrients as well as controlling living conditions of the colony are important especially when pushing the limits of alcohol. If your planning a metered wash I would be interested in seeing your results with the ratios you mentioned.

The thing I find most interesting is that the yeast cells communicate between themselves and on a larger scale between colonies.. this has lead many biologists to envision the colony as a single, multicellular, living creature...So one other thing I left out is that along with the world you created for them and the metering of nutrients, words of encouragement, praise and affection are also important.

Max