Methanol in sugar washes

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

New to distilling
Novice

Methanol in sugar washes

Post by New to distilling »

I have read a lot about methanol on this site, I was once told you don't get methanol in a sugar wash or at least not enough to harm you. Does this include all sugars molasses etc?
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: Methanol in sugar washes

Post by Prairiepiss »

What difference does it make. You still need to make foreshots cuts. Methanol isn't the only bad thing that needs to be removed. If there is any. Or not.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
New to distilling
Novice

Oh it makes no difference what so ever just curious on others thoughts
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Methanol is produced from fermentation of plant and or woody materials. Molasses may or maynot contain such things. Depending on the molasses used. Refined sugar would more then likely be void of those materials. But would also depend on where it came from. And their processing.

Everyone gets fixated on the methanol. When there are some other pretty nasty stuff in there. That all need to be removed.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
New to distilling
Novice

Totally agree
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Smell your first bit of heads. Familiar? Like nail polish remover? Acetone is another nasty you need to get rid of. Somewhere on the parent site is a write up with LD's of many of the nasties that you need to worry about. Collect and chuck fors, and don't be cheap about it. I discard minimum 250 ml for every 25 L of wash I run, even if after half that I don't notice the "burn". Better safe than sorry. Better tasting and no hangover either. Pot still btw.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Foreshots also contain acetone and several other undesirable components... Remember, you're shooting for quality, not quantity...
New to distilling
Novice

I think that has been my problem I usually only do one wash every two months or so, and just being a tad to greedy with the cuts, Think its time to start taking it off in 500ml jars and getting more familiar with it. Redistilling the heads and tails with the next wash and keep a good quaility wash coming through.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

There ya go! But a caveat on continually tossing feints into next wash. I found doing this too many times in a row lead to more acetone and other off things in my heads. Best to save em up til you got enough to do an all feints run, or don't toss em in too many times in consecutive runs. A 1.5 distill occasionally though does make a great drop!