White Sugar Nutrients Informantion

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: White Sugar Nutrients Informantion

Post by BoomTown » Sat May 16, 2020 9:31 am

Expat wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:30 am
BoomTown wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:21 am
So, on the 13th, I started a Sugar head, (with tomato paste, multi Vitamins, white cane sugar crystals) using 11/2 lbs per gallon, 4 gallon total. Original SG 1.070., casting temp 100F, 1 Tblp of Red Star Bakers yeast. The fermenter vessel is a 5g Plastic Water bottle, and fermentation temperatures have been 80F to 85f.

By all appearance, the wash is working, I can see the bubbles rising through the wash, there is a slight froth on top, and sucking vapor from the headspace gives significant alcohol hit. No significant byproduct orders.

But.. (you knew there has to be a but...right?)

SG this morning is 1.083, after 2.5 days of fermentation. The wash is still a nice rosy color, and the is no residue in the bottom of the fermenter. :angel:

My instrument may be 5 years old, but it worked fine last week.

Have I discovered a perpetual alcohol making formula, or what’s going on. :crazy:
Did you correct for temp?
You mean the reading on the alcometer right? Never gave it a thought, All the readings taken haven nearly the same temperature profile, 80 - 85 degrees...
“…Let’s do this one more time....”

Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat » Sat May 16, 2020 9:42 am

BoomTown wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:31 am
Expat wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:30 am
BoomTown wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:21 am
So, on the 13th, I started a Sugar head, (with tomato paste, multi Vitamins, white cane sugar crystals) using 11/2 lbs per gallon, 4 gallon total. Original SG 1.070., casting temp 100F, 1 Tblp of Red Star Bakers yeast. The fermenter vessel is a 5g Plastic Water bottle, and fermentation temperatures have been 80F to 85f.

By all appearance, the wash is working, I can see the bubbles rising through the wash, there is a slight froth on top, and sucking vapor from the headspace gives significant alcohol hit. No significant byproduct orders.

But.. (you knew there has to be a but...right?)

SG this morning is 1.083, after 2.5 days of fermentation. The wash is still a nice rosy color, and the is no residue in the bottom of the fermenter. :angel:

My instrument may be 5 years old, but it worked fine last week.

Have I discovered a perpetual alcohol making formula, or what’s going on. :crazy:
You mean the reading on the alcometer right? Never gave it a thought, All the readings taken haven nearly the same temperature profile, 80 - 85 degrees...
You mentioned a pitch temp of 100, if you took you initial reading then it will be skewed.

Else there was undissolved sugar on the bottom.

Current boiler and pot head viewtopic.php?f=50&t=71855
Cross flow condenser viewtopic.php?f=87&t=47632
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown » Sat May 16, 2020 10:18 am

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You mentioned a pitch temp of 100, if you took you initial reading then it will be skewed.

Else there was undissolved sugar on the bottom.
[/quote]

Undissolved sugar....?hmmm?.....I put the tomato paste in before I checked to see if All the sugar had Been completely dissolved...that could be the solution to the puzzle. OSG temp was at about 100f too.

This must be the correct logic...thanks. And I apparently added more sugar than I’d thought...
“…Let’s do this one more time....”

Alkyholik
Novice

Post by Alkyholik » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:00 pm

What does it mean when you say inverted?

Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:08 pm

Alkyholik wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:00 pm
What does it mean when you say inverted?
Normal white sugar we buy is sucrose . Its a glucose and a fructose molecule joined together ..

Inverting is a process which breaks the bond . To invert Sucrose , you bring it to the boil with water an weak acid .

Alkyholik
Novice

Post by Alkyholik » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:35 pm

Thank you rummyrum.sorry for asking by the way but theres a lot I'm needing to know as I'm just starting out.