White Sugar Nutrients Informantion

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: White Sugar Nutrients Informantion

Post by BoomTown »

Expat wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:30 am
BoomTown wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:21 am So, on the 13th, I started a Sugar head, (with tomato paste, multi Vitamins, white cane sugar crystals) using 11/2 lbs per gallon, 4 gallon total. Original SG 1.070., casting temp 100F, 1 Tblp of Red Star Bakers yeast. The fermenter vessel is a 5g Plastic Water bottle, and fermentation temperatures have been 80F to 85f.

By all appearance, the wash is working, I can see the bubbles rising through the wash, there is a slight froth on top, and sucking vapor from the headspace gives significant alcohol hit. No significant byproduct orders.

But.. (you knew there has to be a but...right?)

SG this morning is 1.083, after 2.5 days of fermentation. The wash is still a nice rosy color, and the is no residue in the bottom of the fermenter. :angel:

My instrument may be 5 years old, but it worked fine last week.

Have I discovered a perpetual alcohol making formula, or what’s going on. :crazy:
Did you correct for temp?
You mean the reading on the alcometer right? Never gave it a thought, All the readings taken haven nearly the same temperature profile, 80 - 85 degrees...
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

BoomTown wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:31 am
Expat wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:30 am
BoomTown wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:21 am So, on the 13th, I started a Sugar head, (with tomato paste, multi Vitamins, white cane sugar crystals) using 11/2 lbs per gallon, 4 gallon total. Original SG 1.070., casting temp 100F, 1 Tblp of Red Star Bakers yeast. The fermenter vessel is a 5g Plastic Water bottle, and fermentation temperatures have been 80F to 85f.

By all appearance, the wash is working, I can see the bubbles rising through the wash, there is a slight froth on top, and sucking vapor from the headspace gives significant alcohol hit. No significant byproduct orders.

But.. (you knew there has to be a but...right?)

SG this morning is 1.083, after 2.5 days of fermentation. The wash is still a nice rosy color, and the is no residue in the bottom of the fermenter. :angel:

My instrument may be 5 years old, but it worked fine last week.

Have I discovered a perpetual alcohol making formula, or what’s going on. :crazy:
You mean the reading on the alcometer right? Never gave it a thought, All the readings taken haven nearly the same temperature profile, 80 - 85 degrees...
You mentioned a pitch temp of 100, if you took you initial reading then it will be skewed.

Else there was undissolved sugar on the bottom.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by BoomTown »

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You mentioned a pitch temp of 100, if you took you initial reading then it will be skewed.

Else there was undissolved sugar on the bottom.
[/quote]

Undissolved sugar....?hmmm?.....I put the tomato paste in before I checked to see if All the sugar had Been completely dissolved...that could be the solution to the puzzle. OSG temp was at about 100f too.

This must be the correct logic...thanks. And I apparently added more sugar than I’d thought...
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Alkyholik
Novice

Post by Alkyholik »

What does it mean when you say inverted?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Alkyholik wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:00 pm What does it mean when you say inverted?
Normal white sugar we buy is sucrose . Its a glucose and a fructose molecule joined together ..

Inverting is a process which breaks the bond . To invert Sucrose , you bring it to the boil with water an weak acid .
Alkyholik
Novice

Post by Alkyholik »

Thank you rummyrum.sorry for asking by the way but theres a lot I'm needing to know as I'm just starting out.
Cristof
Novice

Post by Cristof »

Hello, I'm planning to make sugar wash and I need some advice. My plan is:

100 l water
20 kg sugar (is it ok or too much?)
Yeast (don't know yet which - thinking about lalvin ec1118, safspirit hg-1, safspirit gr-2 or safspirit c-70)
50 g yeast nutrient (contains dap, vitamin b1 and cellulose)
Epsom salt (how much?)
Citric acid (how much?)

I only have experiences with turbo yeasts and after some reading of this forum I want to make it without turbo.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Cristof.. you got lots to learn for doing a sugar wash from scratch.. and it not a wise move to start with 100L batch, as there will be issues that you don't understand yet.. and sugar should not be anymore than 170 gr/L..

Best you research the one's in the T&T section.. such as Wineo's or Shady's to start from.. as they will have the recipe already formulated out..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Cristof
Novice

Post by Cristof »

Well, I have 10 years experience of distilling (schnapps, some whiskey, a few 60-200l batches of sugar wash with turbo yeast) so I'm pretty sure I only need some advice on amounts of nutrients.

I'm looking at Wineo's recipe but I'm lost in that teaspoons and cups... How to translate it to grams since teaspoons are unit of volume and grams are unit of weight?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Why not just use volume then.....a measuring cup is 250ml.
A teaspoon is a teaspoon.
Cristof
Novice

Post by Cristof »

Weighting is easier and more accurate. What about teaspoon?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Could you not find that out by searching the internet?
I dont really want to walk to my kitchen to measure how many ml a teaspoon holds for you.
How is weighing easier that measuring by volume.?
Edit
Everything you ever needed to know about measuring ingredients......including spoon sizes, volumes and weights.
https://sharedkitchen.co.nz/weights-measures/
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Cristof wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:14 pm Well, I have 10 years experience of distilling (schnapps, some whiskey, a few 60-200l batches of sugar wash with turbo yeast) so I'm pretty sure I only need some advice on amounts of nutrients.
If so, then they were mostly following instructions.. so no great learning occurred.. and expect to be supplied with info as it's not very difficult to modify a recipe to suit one purpose..

And as pointed out, very easy to make the conversion by using the internet..

As to tsp vera weight, both are accurate if one know how to use the tools..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Cristof wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:24 pm Weighting is easier and more accurate. What about teaspoon?
My teaspoon weights 24.85 grams
DSCF0291.JPG
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Well certainly in Aussie and New Zealand , a teaspoon is a specific size as is a Table spoon when it comes to cooking and recipies .

Seeing as most recipes use teaspoons as a measurement , maybe go but yourself a little set from a kitchen supply shop . You may even find your wife or mother has a set in the kitchen drawer .
08B03E20-752E-4ED0-9B93-060560C5966B.jpeg
Same goes for cups . Its a standard measure ... as Salty said , its 250mls
5C65552E-710B-4A48-9C9A-A9505E23A0A9.jpeg
5C65552E-710B-4A48-9C9A-A9505E23A0A9.jpeg
Cristof
Novice

Post by Cristof »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:36 pm
Seeing as most recipes use teaspoons as a measurement , maybe go but yourself a little set from a kitchen supply shop . You may even find your wife or mother has a set in the kitchen drawer .
Don't believe I can get it here in any shop and actually don't want to get it. I'm staying with metric system.
SomethingObscure
Bootlegger

Post by SomethingObscure »

Sometimes I get annoyed with the whole cup and spoon size thing.

In the UK a teaspoon is 5ml (that's what my measure say) or so I thought. But Google informs me that is it is fact 5.91939 that's almost 20% difference.
Empty weight.jpg
Now I'm never that accurate when measuring DAP. I used about 1 spoon(the spoons I use are definitely not 5 or 5.919ml) per 10l or so.

I took a couple of picture of how much my dap weighs for one of my measuring teaspoon
Heaped DAP.jpg
Level DAP.jpg
So i can get nearly twice as much in with a little heapage.

Cheers SomethingObscure

Edited to add pictures
Cristof
Novice

Post by Cristof »

Thanks SomethingObscure.

That's why I don't want to use spoons. I mean, if you make one 10 l batch, a few grams of difference is not much, but when making some 100 l batches that difference becomes really big.
SomethingObscure
Bootlegger

I should probably add I didn't tare the scales after weighing the spoon. So the second and third pictures are the weight of the spoon and dap.
Cristof wrote:Thanks SomethingObscure.

That's why I don't want to use spoons. I mean, if you make one 10 l batch, a few grams of difference is not much, but when making some 100 l batches that difference becomes really big.
I do 2x 50l batches and don't worry about weight much. With dap you can always add more later. I think less is better if you want neutral. Epsom salts I guess it depends on the water you use.

Hope this is helpful but beware these the the ramblings of a newb

Cheers

SomethingObscure
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

We are not working in an analytical Lab . :econfused: :egeek:
There is no need to worry about the exact size of a teaspoon . :crazy:

If that were the case , then the person that made the recipe would have said “ use slightly less than a teaspoon “ or a good heaped teaspoon ...: but no , a teaspoon full is rough enough and good enough . :thumbup:

The exact amount of things like DAP , Epsom salts , Vitamins etc are not critical to how a sugar fermentation will work out compared to the amount of sugar and the range of temp .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yummyrum wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:27 am We are not working in an analytical Lab . :econfused: :egeek:
There is no need to worry about the exact size of a teaspoon .
Yummy you have just written about exactly what I thought about writing a couple of hours ago.....you were much more diplomatic and polite though :thumbup: .....nice work
Cristof
Novice

Post by Cristof »

Thanks to everyone 🙂
SomethingObscure
Bootlegger

Saltbush Bill wrote:
Yummyrum wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:27 am We are not working in an analytical Lab . :econfused: :egeek:
There is no need to worry about the exact size of a teaspoon .
Yummy you have just written about exactly what I thought about writing a couple of hours ago.....you were much more diplomatic and polite though [emoji106] .....nice work
[emoji106]
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

Water and Dunder in litres, Malts and Molasses need to be in grams (kg) as does everything else all the way down to the last 1 or 2 grams of Epsom salts…..in grams.
When reading of gallons (UK or! US), pounds and cups I skip away.......move on........ look for another source.

If you want to reach the minimum (or zero) use of DAP, grams matter.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

It doesn't matter what unit of measurement someone's recipe uses.
I'm grateful they took the time to share it with me. :wink:
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

shadylane wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:20 pm It doesn't matter what unit of measurement someone's recipe uses.
+1
It is a basic skill set to be able to convert units of measure.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

8Ball wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:45 pm
shadylane wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:20 pm It doesn't matter what unit of measurement someone's recipe uses.
+1
It is a basic skill set to be able to convert units of measure.
+2
I'll go further to say one doesn't even need the skill to convert units of measure. Just the ability to use a conversion calculator on the internet. Or, hell just download an app to your "smartphone".
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

8Ball wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:45 pm It is a basic skill set to be able to convert units of measure.
Deplorable wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:55 am I'll go further to say one doesn't even need the skill to convert units of measure. Just the ability to use a conversion calculator on the internet.
Agree.. But one has to have developed the ability to be able to comprehend that it is possible to be done..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Rumhead
Novice

Post by Rumhead »

shadylane wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:30 pm
Cristof wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:24 pm Weighting is easier and more accurate. What about teaspoon?
My teaspoon weights 24.85 grams

DSCF0291.JPG
Good to know! :)
Hebden
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hebden »

SomethingObscure wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:28 am
I do 2x 50l batches and don't worry about weight much. With dap you can always add more later. I think less is better if you want neutral. Epsom salts I guess it depends on the water you use.
Would someone please tell me the role of epsom salts in a wash, is it just to add magnesium to feed the yeast, there must be more to it?