Aged golden syrup?

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Aged golden syrup?

Post by Mikey-moo »

My favourite chef is Heston Blumenthal and his recipe for Treacle Tart calls for aged golden syrup. Apparently it gives the tart a deeper and more complex flavour and is achieved by heating the syrup in the tin to 70°C (126°F) for 3 days before use...

So... Who wants to try it and then make some rum with it? :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
pounsfos
Distiller

Re: Aged golden syrup?

Post by pounsfos »

well thats very interesting,

i wonder if it inverts some sugar or something

sounds like a cool project
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

Golden syrup IS inverted sugar.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_syrup
Hangover? I don't get no stinking hangover!
phillmystill
Swill Maker

Post by phillmystill »

Sounds to me like some kind of Maillard reaction is taking place as 70C would be too cool for it to be caramelization.

I've seen a similar type of thing where a can of sweetened condensed milk is simmered in a pan of water for several hours and produces a thick brown "toffee" sauce.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
― Mae West
Capt Tiller
Novice
Location: Cruzin' the 7 seas, laddy, seeking the pirate spirit. AARRRRH.

Post by Capt Tiller »

I've been using Golden syrup for the past 5 years in my rum wash.
It's leaves a delicate flavour, I age it on oak with some cinnamon, vanilla and a couple of raisins.
I have a solara setup to age, after 5 years it's nearly there, reserved for special occasions now, can't wait to see what the next 5 years do.

As an experiment, I currently doing a run with 5 year mother and 3 cinnamon quills in a thumper, will let you know later how it turns out.
Pirate Brewer, distiller and bottle washer of the Capt's. favourite Pirate spirit, none other than Capt. Tiller's Pirate Rum.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Capt Tiller wrote:I've been using Golden syrup for the past 5 years in my rum wash.
It's leaves a delicate flavour, I age it on oak with some cinnamon, vanilla and a couple of raisins.
I have a solara setup to age, after 5 years it's nearly there, reserved for special occasions now, can't wait to see what the next 5 years do.

As an experiment, I currently doing a run with 5 year mother and 3 cinnamon quills in a thumper, will let you know later how it turns out.

So you are adding to finished product or fermenting with the syrup?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
dstaines
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dstaines »

That sounds like dark belgian candi syrup to me. They sell at least three different colors at my LHBS, the dark one is very dark. Definitely has more depth of flavor to it, though I've only ever brewed with it, never made a spirit
I buy all my liquor at the hardware store.
Capt Tiller
Novice
Location: Cruzin' the 7 seas, laddy, seeking the pirate spirit. AARRRRH.

Post by Capt Tiller »

Fermenting it.

I have a 30L Mother, which is aged nicely as a starter.

I buy Golden Syrup in 6*500ml plastic containers, mix with 16L of water, add 4L of mother as a starter, top up to 30L with fresh water. Then sit back and wait, can take up top 3 months to ferment, but worth the wait.
Pirate Brewer, distiller and bottle washer of the Capt's. favourite Pirate spirit, none other than Capt. Tiller's Pirate Rum.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Picked up 7.25kg of golden syrup yesterday. Going to try to 'age' it next week :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Trials are great fun. I use a polystyrene box, lamps, and a controller for this kind of experiment.

The last one I did was 'fermented' black garlic. Superb result. It made a luxury condiment that can't be bought where I live.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

I'm going to put the sousvide supreme to good use! :-)

Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Tastes much more toffee like than the unaged syrup :-)
IMG_2015042924290.jpg

Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

I think this will take away a certain amount of horsepower, i.e. convert fermentable sugars to unfermentable ones.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

You may be right. The yield from non-aged syrup has been ok (nothing spectacular mind).

I've not got round to using the aged syrup yet. I've been busy.

Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

If you aged agave nectar this way... Would it make a more tequila like drink, do you think? :-)

Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

So... To see how good the aged golden syrup is I made a control batch of non aged golden syrup wash and last week stripped it and did a spirit run. Tasted it for the first time today to cut and blend and it all tastes crappy to me.

I'll run it again and see what happens :-)

Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Muuuch better this time around :-)