Jaggery

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Re: Jaggery

Post by aircarbonarc »

I do wish I could get cheapo Panella here.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Bagasso wrote:Not that it would do me any good but, what do you think would be a good ratio of white sugar to molasses to approximate jaggery? Others with a cheaper source of molasses might be better off going that route.
Two sugar to one molasses would be pretty close. It costs me half as much to do that than to buy jaggery, but the stock feed grade molasses we are getting in NZ has a strong bagasse flavor at the moment, so considering the time and effort that goes into making the end product, paying the extra for jaggery may be the better option. I've only recently made my first batch with jaggery and have to wait a few months to know for sure. A fast aged sample is tasting very good already.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

aircarbonarc wrote:I do wish I could get cheapo Panella here.
Where are you? Do you know about Sugardaddy?
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Jimbo wrote:
aircarbonarc wrote:I do wish I could get cheapo Panella here.
Where are you? Do you know about Sugardaddy?
I'm in Canada on the WestCoast. So Indian products are easy to find here, just not so many Latin American products.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

SugarDaddy can probably ship to you. Send him a PM. He's on here. He owns sugar cane farms in Columbia and ships up containers full. Do a search on sugardaddy, you'll find chat. IVe bought from him twice now
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Jimbo wrote:SugarDaddy can probably ship to you. Send him a PM. He's on here. He owns sugar cane farms in Columbia and ships up containers full. Do a search on sugardaddy, you'll find chat. IVe bought from him twice now
Really!!! This is good news!! What's the minimum? And yes!! This is good!
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

aircarbonarc wrote:
Jimbo wrote:SugarDaddy can probably ship to you. Send him a PM. He's on here. He owns sugar cane farms in Columbia and ships up containers full. Do a search on sugardaddy, you'll find chat. IVe bought from him twice now
Really!!! This is good news!! What's the minimum? And yes!! This is good!
There is no minimum as such. He typically has two methods however. Pallets or as much as he can stuff into a USPS flat rate box.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

LWTCS wrote:Pallets or as much as he can stuff into a USPS flat rate box.
If youre curious, he can fit 56 lbs of the blocks in a large prepaid USPS box. :mrgreen: Not sure that will work for Canada tho but contact him, Im sure he knows the best way to get it to you. His prices are way cheaper than you can get the stuff at any Latinos mercado. Its good shit too, the best from Columbia... When I openned the box of bricks the first thing that ran through my head was some lyrics from a Humble Pie song.... Black Nepalese,...Got you weak in your knees.... haha, I wonder if the DEA thinks they got somethign good before they realize its just sugar LOL

Edit.... I take that back, I think he used Fedex last time cause I wanted a lot. Regardless, he knows cheapest shipping options.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Glad I live close to the boarder and have a good friend down there who lets me mail stuff to his address, I just have to drive it across the boarder
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

AliExpress appears to have jaggery across the spectrum from light to dark for pretty cheap. I'd love to order some, but I'm on a really tight budget at the moment.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Found some Jaggery and some cheapo sugar today!! 34-45¢ a lb!! Blew some cash! Stocked up! This hobby is getting expensive, hopefully it'll pay off when I have my distillery in the tropics
Sugar Daddy
Novice

Post by Sugar Daddy »

Has anyone distilled and compared jaggery to panela?

Aircarbonarc asked if I could explain how panela was made vs jaggery. I found an interesting read.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/maki ... -tech.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Last edited by Sugar Daddy on Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bohunk
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Bohunk »

Jason, thanks for posting this link. Interesting stuff.
When you get tired of the sun and fun, come back home.

The Ole Bohunk
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Good read.

Panela production or any other iteration is really nothing more than mostly the same thing. With the exception of a different shape pan or a slight variation on cook time or some other small detail.

Similar to how we here in the West would refer to any spirit made with fruit as a brandy. Just as Eastern block countries have some other multi-sylobic word for fruit spirits,,,,if you see my meaning.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Even within the same region panela can be noticeably different.

Kinda how a pizza made at the same restaurant can be different from day to day based on who is throwing the pies. Even though the ingredients and methodology is essentially the same.

SugarDaddy 's canes are all hand selected at the peak of ripeness and the taste difference is evident compared to some of the more "corporate" producers.

There's 150 (or more) ways to make chicken soup.