Temps getting too high? (Hybrid MUM wash)

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

joeymac
Swill Maker

Temps getting too high? (Hybrid MUM wash)

Post by joeymac »

I made a 5 gallon Hybrid-MUM wash about 2 days ago. I usually follow the recipe pretty much exactly and then pitch 2 rehydrated packets of EC-1118 (instead of the prescribed bakers yeast). I usually stray from the recipe here because I like the EC1118 and can get it locally fairly cheap. Anyways, this last time I made up the wash I used 10LB of sugar instead of the regular 8LB. Since the 10LB sugar bags were on sale and I didn't want a bag of opened sugar with just a little bit left in it, I figured "what the hell" and used all 10LB of sugar in the wash.

My SG (of just the sugar water, before nutrients) was 1.092 so I figure I have about a 14% potential yield.
I guess I don't feel too bad about 14% with the EC-1118... but I've never done a MUM like this.

So I was kind of surprised when I checked on it at the 36hr mark this morning when the temperature of the wash was 78deg F ... but it's only about 68-69 degrees in my house! It's been bubbling like Crazy, but I've never had a wash or wort temperature so far above the room temperatures. Not even with 48hr Turbos. Is there anything to worry about here with the high temperatures?
"Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks" - God (Isaiah 5:22)
So evidently, God wants us to drink our whiskeys single barrel and our Bourbons neat.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Re: Temps getting too high? (Hybrid MUM wash)

Post by DAD300 »

I wouldn't worry about it. It is still within EC-1118's range...it'll give you a good experiment in SG...
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

yeasties make some heat the first few days, it sounds about right. not sure what a hybrid mum wash is though?
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Lot of shitz for a small wash...from yahoo distiller's group

Hybrid MUM Wash
-7 Lbs of White Sugar
-1- 6 oz can of Tomato Paste
-5 teaspoons of Miracle Grow All Purpose Plant Food (3 at the beginning, then another after 36 hours and the 5th
24 hrs after that)
-2 packets of Hodgdon mills Bread Yeast
-2 Wal Mart (Equate) Womens Multi vitamins ground to Powder. Both added at the beginning just before pitching Yeast.
-4 teaspoons of Epsom Salts. 2 added at the beginning of ferment and then 1 after 36 hours and then another 24 hours after that.

Water to make a total volume of 4 gallons US. 1.080 SG
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
joeymac
Swill Maker

Post by joeymac »

That's the one. Are you sure it's 7LB sugar though? I've always used 8 for the original recipe. The calculator on the parent site says 8LB in a 5gal wash yields a 1.075 SG and the recipe seems to say SG should be 1.070-1.080

Anyways, it smells great while fermenting too. It's basically a high yield Birdwatchers with Epsom Salt and Multivitamins. If it didn't have the miracle grow in it, I'd probably be inclined to taste some right out of the wash. Looks something atrocious with that blue-colored fertilizer and the red tomato paste. It just ain't right... :lol:
"Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks" - God (Isaiah 5:22)
So evidently, God wants us to drink our whiskeys single barrel and our Bourbons neat.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Be very careful with sampling the fermented wash from this particular recipe...!!! :eugeek: The fertilizer and Epsom Salts will give you the wicked shits...!!! :sick: See my avatar... :lolno:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I thought I had an aquarium heater going bad in one of my first UJ washes . Temp climbed to 115 . It was just the yeast going to work in a rush . Bread yeast will rehydrate at a starting temp of 115 .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
joeymac
Swill Maker

Post by joeymac »

rad14701 wrote:Be very careful with sampling the fermented wash from this particular recipe...!!! :eugeek: The fertilizer and Epsom Salts will give you the wicked shits...!!! :sick: See my avatar... :lolno:
I wouldn't be surprised as I got them from the laxative section of the pharmacy. At first I was getting pissed because I couldn't find unscented pure Epsom Salts (I was looking in the bath & beauty sections) and then I remembered there were medicinal internal uses too... and found the salts in the pharmacy soft-serve section!

Maybe the Epsom salts work so well in ferments because it helps the little yeasties shit out more alcohol :lol: