First run-Corn Sugar wash

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First run-Corn Sugar wash

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Down_Home52 wrote:Just added graham crackers......the wash really liked them,.....I understand the science of the oyster shell addition but what the heck was so magic about the graham crackers?? The yeasts sure liked them.
Could someone jump in and explain the usage of graham crackers, please ? I don't recall reading about them except in a cereal wash.Nutrient for yeast ?
Blah, blah, blah,........
Essayons
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Essayons »

My first Red Star sugar wash 2:1 slowed out after 5days, still tasted sweet - so I added BSG yeast energizer and in 12hr?
It was fermenting away again... Definitely going to pick up some PH strips ASAP after that.
The water I use is granite filtered mountain water from an Artesian well.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

rad14701 wrote:It will take some time... 12 - 24 hours... It might sound counter-intuitive but tomato paste helps... I've also had success with graham crackers which I almost always have kicking around even if there is no cereal on hand...
I've even used a cup of corn meal...
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Down_Home52
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Down_Home52 »

Ran this same recipe using Karo syrup and honey instead of corn sugar. Ran 5 gallons of this wash back in the summer and the results after a spirit run were outstanding. I was using Red Star yeast for that run. It was slow to ferment and only ran down to 1.010 before it finally stalled out. I used B12, graham crackers, DAP and oyster shells. Tried 11.5 gallons of it last week using 2 gallons syrup, two cups honey and the same nutrients. SG was 1.075. I added water until I got that number. Wanted to try US-05 as my basement stays around 70 degrees. It started slow and has fermented down to 1.050 and stalled. I added another 11.5 grams of Safale US-05, some more graham crackers but it is stuck. Seeing some agitation and bubbles but hydrometer hasn't moved in two days. Thinking about dividing it into two 5 gallon fermenters and adding Red Star and putting in small room with heat. Thoughts?
I dream of a worm running like a water hose.....
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

Only joined the site a few days ago, so, finding my way around, came across this topic of stalled ferment possibly due to PH acidic levels, I notice some mention of buffering, I've been using PH buffering in all my corn sugar washes for about a year now, due to the same issue.
I use RO water, so, the PH starts off at 6.5 to 7 neutral. I'm English so, will bounce from metric and imperial measurements a lot, but, I make 25 liters (6.6 US Gallons) and add in every wash at the start of dissolving the corn sugar (Dextrose) 35 grams of Sodium Bicarbonate and 35 grams of Citric Acid, this creates an overwhelming PH buffer, the thing a PH levels, is that the PH of a solution (Wash) is not related to the amount of solution.
Upscale the Grams of both, and the small amount of acid produced in fermentation has to overcome the large (relatively speaking) PH buffer, I set my buffer at the start to 5.3 and it pretty much stays put, never had a PH stalled fermentation due to acid levels since, chasing the acid just with an alkaline is a race. prevent the issue to start with. If this helps at all, check out PH buffering solutions, no flavour pass over, as the equal quantity of both neutralises the PH, basically your making a large ant-acid tablet. One of the benefits of adding the buffer in the fermentation whilst dissolving the sugar, is the instant production of CO2 not in the wash it self, it gets released, like the clink clink fizz effect, thus creating an instant barrier.
Down_Home52
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Down_Home52 »

Good info Tony1964. Is the product 5.2 basically the same chemistry? I have had sugar washes crash to 4.2-4.3 and toss in oyster shells and when they hit the trub the wash turns over from the bottom and fizzes like crazy. The oyster shells just kind of sit around waiting for a little pH drop to add their magic in the wash.
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

Down_Home52, Obviously make sure the issue is PH levels, I always take a PH reading prior to adding the yeast, I use one of those electronic PH meter versions, just to make sure the chemistry is in the right place before I add the PH buffer, obviously making sure you have the correct nutrients in place as well, but, if you are convinced its a PH issue you need to stabilise, then creating a PH buffer solution is certainly part of my process. Check that the PH level prior to the last step of adding your yeast, it could be your water, but, a PH check prior will give you guidance, PH buffers you can make at any PH level, by adjusting either the Citric Acid or Sodium Barcarb quantities. Again, I'm using RO water at a PH neutral start, you need to know your starting PH levels and create a PH buffer from there if required.
Conversely, as you don't say, if you have an acidic start from your water supply, yeast do like a mild acidic environment, but to acidic and this will not help, but, adjusting this as I mentioned, will help prevent PH crashing, it's not a magic answer, you don't say what fermentation temps your running, as too quick a ferment will over produce acid, I run at a temperature control 19 degrees C, to keep things nice and calm during fermentation, its about in the first instance controlling what makes things go wrong during fermentation, rather than bombarding your wash with drugs. I always add my PH buffer as I've mentioned, this has not taken away from the preventative measures that are in place as well.
Down_Home52
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Down_Home52 »

I like a cool ferment and 70*F seems to be what US 05 likes. My water is hard water from limestone karst caverns that evolve on my farm. Even with the starting pH around 6.5-7.0 I have experienced pH crash with sugarhead wash. I did not experience the same result in an AG wash I just completed although I did have oyster shells in the recipe just in case. The original post described a honey/corn syrup wash that stalled. I was using a different fermenter and I think it was something that had been previously used to clean the vessel that might have been my problem.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I would suggest a calcium based buffer and one to raise if needed in which a sugar wash needs nutes and a buffer from my experience anyway.

I use pickling lime to raise the ph as it's quick and very strong, sodium would leave salts in the wash and I wouldn't want a salty wash, would you?.?.

I hang oyster shells in the middle of the fermenter in a brew bag and you can tell they are working because of the visual loss. I don't weigh them, they just get less and less until I replenish them ever so often.