Looks like I'm on me own :(

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Looks like I'm on me own :(

Post by Pikey »

Well since we're running quite similar, seems a good idea to link the two threads, informally for mutual benefit hopefully.
Sparrow
Novice

Post by Sparrow »

I haven't read all 8 pages but captain Morgan isn't navy rum as far as I'm aware. I'm pretty sure to be navy rum it has to be run through a wooden pot still.

For what it's worth we get captain Morgan's here a lot, it's not bad but not amazing either.

I'm going to be in the UK soon and am planning on grabbing a bottle of pussers 15 as I've heard it's one of the best navy rums. Might grab two if I like it enough!
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

yes Spoggy you are smack on the money but some find the plain truth harder to swallow than the convoluted fiction :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Pikey, any new discoveries on your quest?
Mine is about to become interesting to say the least.

I'm following der wo's lead on the infection of my new dunder pit, adding potatoes!!! It's now day 3 and there is a film starring to develop and I'm not sure if it's an infection or just dust or pollen. Lol
Keep up the good work,

Shine0n
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I'm a bit busy atm - diesel engine half out of the boat, just bought a pair of steel doors for the 'stillery - to keep out vermin (2 legged and 4 legged) Been grinding and welding those (wrong size) - bugger they're heavy. Grape vines to prune and train etc etc - and in honesty I may just be a little scared of runnin' it :shock:

Been watching your thread tho' and I think der wo has a point in his latest post "lacto" likes neutral PH - yeast likes low PH.

I need to run an Easywhisky and get it on oak, then the "bad boy" goes next - about a week I reckon.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

2017-07-07 17.40.28.jpg
Hey Pikey, just wanted to share some of my progress on the infected dunder.
I used 3 raw potatoes cut in quarter with the dunder and it's smelling awesome but looks like shit. Hope to be back at it soon, damn work got me gone again.

Hope alls well with ya and share some progress of your own soon!!! I know life can get in the way but hey... just do it!

Shine0n
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Well I been drillin', weldin' an grindin' Locktite etc an she's goin back together now - i reckon this as a four grand fix :D

Won't be a million years now 8)
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I like drilling, welding and all that stuff.
I kind of miss doing it. lol
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

my grandad who use to be in the navy use to make his rum using a marrow in a stocking in a warm cupboard scoop some of the inner out and then fill with dark sugar wait a while untill the bottom goes soft and give the marrow a pin prick at the base and top up with more sugar as it slowly dripped out fermented (im unsure of the process from here on) but that was his method of making a navy rum :oops: sorry its not compleat but best i can do for a proper navy rum.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Hi markieb, thanks for that - I've tried to make that from instructions a number of times and failed. Yours is slightly different - I shall giv ethat a try when the marrows come in :thumbup:

It can't make a real rum of course because it is not distilled, but I can see how the taste of the wine, could mimic a rum 8)
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

what's "marrows" you guys?
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Still Life wrote:what's "marrows" you guys?
They're a kind of squash - like a courgette but much bigger. Way less tuff than a pumpkin

THey look like this - the green and whitish stripey one about 4 or 5 is typical.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=vegetable+mar ... &ia=images
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Well I'll be.... never heard of it.
There's my learning for the day. And day's not over yet.
Thanks
Still Life Discovers the Marrow
Still Life Discovers the Marrow
marrow.png (105.85 KiB) Viewed 3748 times
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I'd like to deep fry that with some onions!

Can they be fermented? Just curious because they look so fukn delicious. lol
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Hi ya Pikey .
Well I finally managed to find me a bottle of Capton Morgans Black label Jamaican Rum . Now I realize this topic has transitioned to Navy Rum but originally you mentioned The style of Capt Morgan Black as something you liked .

I was curious how my "Memory" of this would stand up to how it really was . To my surprise , it still turned out to be really nice and pretty much how I remembered it. Its been perhaps 5-6 years and in that time I have mostly had golden Rums most of an Australian persuasion so it was interesting to revisit this old Dark favorite of mine .
Now my "tasting note" ability really sucks so I'm not even going to try but what I did find was that it was in no way sweet , not particularly Oaky , no hint of any spices ( thank F@#k ) ....but what I immediately picked up on was a huge smack of Dunder smell which carried over to my taste buds . Also It was Headsy in a nice way . Incidentally I gave Mrs Yummy a taste as she can be pretty fussy and she thought it was very smooth......not at all what I expected her to say

Now I remember looking at Buccineer Bobs Black Rum essence years ago and thinking no way am I going to add Dunder to my drinking Rum .......but after getting such a large "smack" of Dunder on my senses , I'm convinced this is whats going on here and will have a go .

I have a lot of Rums in the shed ATM which are all from All Molasses as that's the way I make my Rum , consequently my Dunder is also very dark . I am presently recovering from a fairly major operation but as soon as I can I'm going to have a play with this Dunder Rum essence as I'm quite convinced its the missing ingredient that I feel my Dark Rum needs. Having tried caramel , molasses and over oaking to darken Rum , I've found none give it that "dark Rum taste" so heres hoping
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Dark rum is from roasted caramel, that is you keep slowly heating the caramel unlit in becomes completely anhydrous but stop just before it burns. At this point it will not have any sweetness really and be slightly bitter but not acrid (unless ya burnt it in which case start again) . A Dunder heavy rum (that is also sweetened I'm guessing with regular caramel) is Caruba . Some love it some love to hate it.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

yummy, can you post a pic of it so I know what the hell it is? I wonder if it's dark because of the dunder addition or was the dunder added to low wines and colored?

I'll take another look on the net to see if I can find it but as of yet.... nope!
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

No great shakes this caramel - research this;

https://www.sarsons.co.uk/range/browning-sauce

Amazing just a couple of drops in water does all the "Black stuff" as crow says - without affecting taste in any major way :)
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Shine0n wrote:yummy, can you post a pic of it so I know what the hell it is? I wonder if it's dark because of the dunder addition or was the dunder added to low wines and colored?

I'll take another look on the net to see if I can find it but as of yet.... nope!
This is it Shineon .
Captain Morgan Black.jpg
OK so here is on the left some all molasses Dunder , next is dunder diluted approx 1/10 , next Dunder diluted approx 1/100 and on the right is Captain Morgan Black . There is a lot of light shining through the window but it is to give some sort of relevance to its colour ....if that helps .
Dunder and Capt Morgan.jpg
Hmmm so now I have the Dunder and the Captain Morgan side by side , I'm not so sure about the Dunder smell anymore :econfused: This All molasses Dunder is very Molassesy . I think the older Dunder when I used a Sugar/Molasses mix was perhaps closer to what I thought :crazy:
well that's this hobby .....no end to the experimenting :thumbup:

Oh yeah , I checked the ALC , not that my meter is particularly acurate but @ 20 degC it looked like ~34% when Its ment to be 37%.......so perhaps there is something in it . WishI hadn't dropped my good Alc meter Doh !
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Looking at that dark rum I'd better London to a brick that is caramel browning for sure.
Yeah browning sauce you buy is for cooking primarily and often has other crap in it like salt or flavouring to disguise the smokey flavour, so easy to make its nearly ridiculous to buy.
Generally ya use to cups of sugar (any sugar) to one cup of water added after its sufficiently darkened. Here is a video I found on the net that is basically the same product as distillers caramel.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Thanks Crow .that looks easy when she does it :thumbup: . I've tried before a couple of times and gave up .LOL......chipping charcoal of pots :thumbdown:
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Yeah OK another trick is to do it in a tin that you intend to chuck out but you need to be more careful adding the water or it can foam up. A good trick is not to take the top all the way off so you can get hold of it.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Germany demands labeling of additional caramel.

Here is an external link to a photo of the back label.
http://i.otzovik.com/2015/09/19/2431391/img/1661838.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

"FARVEN JUSTERET MED KARAMEL".
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

On Taters "Molasses thread" ;
still_stirrin wrote:
Pikey wrote:
still_stirrin wrote:...I had to rerun my rum through the still 3 times to get the flavor where I could drink it...
What did it taste like "superstrong" SS - really strong flavoured rum - or just molasses ?
It had a very strong rum flavor, with a lot of the "oil-like" taste. It was not delicate, sweet or alcoholic tasting, even when I distilled it up to 151 proof. Now I use 50/50 deer lick molly and sugar to get the fermentables. The molly flavor is still big, but manageable with processing. The deer lick molasses must have a lot of resins in it because it has a sheen when racked to the boiler.

I have a cousin who dairy farms and he feeds his milk cows a rich grain mixture to which he adds feed molasses. It is also quite black and pastey with a strong blackstrap flavor. I don't know the brix content, but I'd guess it's at least 80-90 brix. He gets it from the local CO-OP by the pound (2500 lb. at a time). I want to try it as well. But without doubt I'll have to buffer it down with sugar. A 5-gallon bucket (50-60 lb.) would work for me... :wink:

I imagine the food grade molasses has most of the raw qualities refined out of it, unlike the feed grade stuff. And store bought is too expensive to justify yet.
ss
Thought I'd nick it for this thread :twisted:
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Shine0n wrote:I'd like to deep fry that with some onions!

Can they be fermented? Just curious because they look so fukn delicious. lol
They're incredibly bland Shine0n - Boiled with a little salt - theyre ok but hardly tasty pleasant a few times a year, or split lengthways and seeds hollowed out they can be stuffed with sausagemeat sage and onions and roasted in the oven.

Oh and fermented ? never tried - you'd need to add sugar and flavour ! :lol:

What is this "Deep fried with onions" ? how does that work ? I'd like to try that just the once :D
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Yummyrum wrote:
Shine0n wrote:yummy, can you post a pic of it so I know what the hell it is? I wonder if it's dark because of the dunder addition or was the dunder added to low wines and colored?

This is it Shineon .
The attachment Captain Morgan Black.jpg is no longer available
Yummy, you seem to have stumblec on some old stock from before Diageo took over !

This is what I got fobbed off with ;
capn morgan downgraded resize.jpg
Note mine says "Original" - yours says "Black Jamaica Rum" - mine says "Produce of Guyana, Jamaica and BArbados" Mine says "Distilled in the Carribean, bottled and matured in UK "

You are impressed with the taste of yours - mine tastes like it has been cooked up in the uk ! :roll:

I'd buy and store a few more of those bottles mate if you like it - "when it's gone - it's gone "!

I'd appreciate if you cen have another go at describing how it tastes - please ? :)

[Edit - did you get any "fruit" in there ? tails ? - I'm wondering whether they cut down on the hearts for the "Black stuff" and used them elsewhere ?]
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Pikey thats interesting that they are serving us possibly different stuff . Would like to stock up but alas the store I bought it is over 16000 Km away :(
I'll have another taste and see but I'm not the best at describing stuff .

Crow got me all excited about Pusser's Rum .I'd tried it a few years back and didn't like it all that much so yesterday I found a bottle at a reasonable price .
It says Admiralty Rum so hopefully Crow will chime in and confirm if it is Navy Rum .
It certainly has a unique flavour , very light and subtle and almost leaves a sour taste . It has very little smell .Certainly no large hint of oak or any additives.
For some reason I was expecting this to be a strong dark bold tasting Rum fit for only the hardiest of Pirates but instead I find it almost bland and insipid .LOL , maybe I'm a Pleb :lol: Its nice straight with Ice :thumbup:
If you are wanting to try a Rum that is just Rum without a pile of crap in it , then I would recommend a try of this stuff .
Pusser's Rum.jpg
Pusser's rear.jpg
Pusser's Colour.jpg
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Yep that's naval rum, some like it some don't, Blackheart is another brand that was New Zealand's Navy's rum kinda similar. Being that you are a Bundaberg rum fan you might find most if not all rums lack something you associate with rum. Love it or hate it nothing is like Bundy, Beenleigh is closer but still completely different.
Edit
OK Blackheart might not be the rum it use to be, after cheching I see its a blended rum put together in Scotland from caribean and west indies rums and I reckon it was a Fijian rum. So I checked out the Fiji rum co. but that company only started in 1980 so fiik.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Pikey, I ment to say fried not deep fried but none the less...
take the veggie and slice them into 1/4" pieces, cut as many onions as there is veggies, put them into a hot skillet with butter, salt and black pepper with a bit of garlic powder, cook them pretty hot and fast to leave crisp but cooked fairly well.

now, I have no idea of what those taste like as I do this with zucchini but from what I've read this a member of that family. sooo???
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Tried a bottle of this today... really dark and treacley with burnt toffee notes.

Have you tried it?
Om nom nom.
Om nom nom.
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!