Sugar Wash

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Spritshere
Novice

Sugar Wash

Post by Spritshere »

Just started my first sugar wash. Kinda starting this so I can keep track of my progress.

50# of sugar
87 L of water
3 Packets of Turbo Yeast (I know not the best but I had it and part of this is going to be my sac run. The rest will be for a neutral for my wife to mix)

SG of 1.095

Used 50 L of water at 30 deg C to dissolve the sugar and then added the rest of the water to bring temp to 26 deg C and SG of 1.095. I re hydrated the yeast in warm water before I pitched it into the wash. Not sure what the PH is because I cannot find my PH meter at the moment. I hope this turns out as it is my first ferment.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Sugar Wash

Post by still_stirrin »

I don't remember seeing this recipe in the Tried & True recipe forum....

Hope it works for you.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Spritshere
Novice

Post by Spritshere »

Yeah I wanted to make birdwatchers but I also wanted to use up this Turbo yeast that I had when I bought by still. Next batch will be the birdwatchers and I will see where that goes.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

What still are you running ?
Spritshere
Novice

Post by Spritshere »

Pikey wrote:What still are you running ?
I bought the 13 gal pot still from hillbilly stills.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Spritshere wrote: The rest will be for a neutral for my wife to mix)
You have set your self a task there that I don't envy. Better you than me trying to make a good neutral using Turbo yeast and a pot still.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

This one ? or the propane version ?

That looks as though it is a good place to start 8) - if a little cost heavy. 8)

[ Edit to dd link - http://www.hillbillystills.com/product/ ... ad-hs5500/
Spritshere
Novice

Post by Spritshere »

Pikey wrote:This one ? or the propane version ?

That looks as though it is a good place to start 8) - if a little cost heavy. 8)

[ Edit to dd link - http://www.hillbillystills.com/product/ ... ad-hs5500/
I bought the one without the heat source because it is half the cost. I am running propane and bought a burner separately because it was a lot cheaper. I wanted to be able to run this anywhere I wanted to because we are looking at buying a new house and may not have electrical available. I wanted to build my own but we have been super busy and could not find the time to start and just believed this would be a good place to start.
Spritshere
Novice

Post by Spritshere »

Saltbush Bill wrote:
Spritshere wrote: The rest will be for a neutral for my wife to mix)
You have set your self a task there that I don't envy. Better you than me trying to make a good neutral using Turbo yeast and a pot still.
I know I do. :D :D :D :D But I need to clean the still and wanted use up the turbo that came with the still. :crazy: :crazy: My next batch will be Birdwatchers and making sure that I stick to the recipe to a T.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Use what ya got, now that you've got it going... run your sac run and then let the turbo stuff clear real well and it won't be as bad as some of the fine people here say. Not great by any means but tolerable in a mixed drink.

Since you've bought a pot still use it for its purpose, not the best tool for a neutral spirit. It can and has been done but that's a lot of work!

Use whatever you have locally to your advantage, grains, molasses, fruit, blah blah. you get the point.

Your pot still will serve you well and I hope you the best.

Shine0n
Spritshere
Novice

Post by Spritshere »

Thanks ShineOn. I am not really expecting a whole lot from this. This is mainly for me to get use to my still and try to figure out a few things about it. I really want to make some brandys but also want to make some rum. Having a hard time finding molasses in bulk. Plus I want to make some AG stuff. Really big farming community around me and lots of farmer friends..... We have lots of grains and lots of Fruits around us. Cannot wait to see what I can make.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Spritshere wrote:...Having a hard time finding molasses in bulk....
Being in a farming community, isn't there bulk feed molasses available?
Or is it like my co-op that just has like 1-gallon jugs
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Since you're in the US, try feed molasses and dark brown sugar to make a rum. Makes a very fine drink, use the dark brown sugar as it has a higher molasses content than the light.
My molasses thread is on this same page if you care to take a look, and since you have no thumper I'd suggest to do stripping runs then a spirit run. Save the dunder for the spirit run and use no more than 25% total volume.

Be safe!
Shine0n
Spritshere
Novice

Post by Spritshere »

Dam.....I always forget that the co op is right down the road. Not 2 min away. I will have to check to see what they have. I plan on getting my grains from some of the local farmers. Thanks for reminding me we have the co op right down the road..........
Spritshere
Novice

Post by Spritshere »

Just checked it and it is still bubbling away... Got a really strong alcohol smell to it. Hoping this turns out.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Have you taken a gravity reading on it, has it started clearing at all?
If not, pop it open and grab a sample and check it, when you finish just toss the sample so not to contaminate the wash.
Since you used the "turbo" I would cold crash it when at 1.0, if you don't (and most of us dont) have a wort chiller just take a couple old 2 litre bottles and freeze them with water and put in there. It will help settle a good portion of the mess from the turbo.
I know from experience that a sugar wash with turbo will clear like water, it takes forever but it will.

Not what you want to hear I'm sure, it seems to take longer if we look at or think constantly of it. lol

If by chance you have another fermenter start another wash WITHOUT TURBO, do some research here on HD and look for future projects and set some goals.

I'm not saying go and build a flute or go AG right away but start lookin deeper into what you want to do with this hobby and go for it!!!

Sky's the limit and only you can hold you back brother,
Shine0n
Spritshere
Novice

Post by Spritshere »

Shine0n wrote:Have you taken a gravity reading on it, has it started clearing at all?
If not, pop it open and grab a sample and check it, when you finish just toss the sample so not to contaminate the wash.
Since you used the "turbo" I would cold crash it when at 1.0, if you don't (and most of us dont) have a wort chiller just take a couple old 2 litre bottles and freeze them with water and put in there. It will help settle a good portion of the mess from the turbo.
I know from experience that a sugar wash with turbo will clear like water, it takes forever but it will.

Not what you want to hear I'm sure, it seems to take longer if we look at or think constantly of it. lol

If by chance you have another fermenter start another wash WITHOUT TURBO, do some research here on HD and look for future projects and set some goals.

I'm not saying go and build a flute or go AG right away but start lookin deeper into what you want to do with this hobby and go for it!!!

Sky's the limit and only you can hold you back brother,
Shine0n
I just checked it. SG is 1.04. Don't think I added enough yeast for the job. But it is still bubbling away. I will keep an eye on it. I have a note book where I have a list of stuff I want to try. Right now I have been trying to source all the ingredients that I will need for everything that I want to make. I have 2 fermenters and have plans for 2 more barrels to be converted.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

3 big packs of turbo is plenty of yeast and nutrients, what temperature do you have your ferment in?
You are at 22.983 gallons so you're slightly more than 2 lbs per gallon so that shouldn't be too terribly bad.

Each packet of turbo I've read said for a 5 gal wash, sooooo this may work just a bit slower than what the directions stated, which isn't so bad since you used turbo, your sg isn't off the charts high.
Just wait it out then run her.

like I said though, once down to 1.0 use some frozen jugs of water the day before or 2 days to help settle some of the stuff. Keep us posted on how things progress.

Shine0n
Spritshere
Novice

Post by Spritshere »

I checked my wash and it was reading 1.02. It is not bubbling anymore for about 24 hrs. Should I add some more yeast to try and get it down to 1 or should it be good to go for a run?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Are you temperature correcting your readings?

That's not much of a drop in eight days. It's not worth flogging it for the small extra bit you might get, just run it.
Spritshere
Novice

Post by Spritshere »

NZChris wrote:Are you temperature correcting your readings?

That's not much of a drop in eight days. It's not worth flogging it for the small extra bit you might get, just run it.

I hope I am doing it right. My refractometer came from China and the instructions are kinda confusing. I will run it and see what happens. Thanks. I am getting ready to mix up some uncle jesse sour mash. Gonna follow the instructions to a T but for a 15 gal ferment.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I won't use a refractometer on fermenting washes. I would never trust one for that.

Because hydrometers are so fragile, there is always more than one in my shed for checking ferments.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Spritshere wrote: My refractometer came from China and the instructions are kinda confusing.
You got to love it... we have seen some beauties. "You now having super fun happy joy time" this was in the instructions for setting up a awning on the deck.

I won't go on ...don't want to happy lucky hijack post this.
Getting hung up all day on smiles