Wheat germ

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Lawfish
Bootlegger

Wheat germ

Post by Lawfish »

I have tried a number of sugar washes from the tried and true recipe section, including Birdwatchers and All-Bran. Even with using yeast nutrients, these washes never fermented very vigorously. With an OG of 1.060, it would take 10 days at least to ferment dry, sometimes longer (in my basement, which is usually in the mid 70's). I recently tried the wheat germ recipe, although I used half the amount of wheat germ called for and added yeast nutrients and I've finally got a vigorous ferment. First time I've ever gotten a full krausen on a sugar wash. This thing is going full-tilt. Also, I upped the OG to 1.100. Not sure if that's a factor or not. I used 20 lbs. of sugar in 10 gallons of water, which I was hoping would yield 1.090. Guess I overshot a bit.
Lawfish

Homebrewer turned distiller
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Wheat germ

Post by Still Life »

That wheat germ used full recipe is VIOLENT.
Had it blow the lids off 2 buckets before,
so it's no surprise even half-dose is rumbling along.

Wondering if maybe your mid-70° is just too cool and slowing your other washes.
I have the same temperature, but use bucket belt heaters.
My last 3 Birdwatchers were finished within 5 days.
Lawfish
Bootlegger

Post by Lawfish »

The temperature sure didn't slow down the wheat germ wash. My ambient temp is about 75 down there right now and my active fermentations generally run about 4 degrees above ambient, so the wash must be close to 80. That will be my go-to wash from now on. I've had a hard time keeping up with consumption when I have to divert and make vodka for other drinkers. Waiting 10 days or more for a sugar wash to finish just puts me way behind. And I've noticed my gin tastes better aged a couple weeks, so it would be nice to always drink aged gin instead of stuff just made yesterday.
Lawfish

Homebrewer turned distiller
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Patience may be a virtue, but yeah screw 10 days when you have an alternative.
I liked that wheat germ recipe --what I could save after the eruptions.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

You want to see fast, keep the SG below 1.080
And add some boiled yeast to the wheat germ recipe :lol:
johnnyv
Novice

Post by johnnyv »

All bran ferments dry in 72 hours for me with an aquarium heater set at 30 C(86 F).
Bakers yeast likes it relatively warm.
Johnny6
Bootlegger

Post by Johnny6 »

I agree that the wheat germ is the most energetic ferment I've had. I've been generally alternating between corn flakes and wheat germ batches. I've noticed how much stronger the wheat germ ferment was than the corn flakes. Recently I've tried combining the two, hoping to combine the happy yeast with the cornflake flavor. I've been starting with one cup of wheat germ (per 5-gallon fermentation bucket) boiling on the stove. Part way through, ~70 minutes into the 90 minute boil, I add the crushed corn flakes for the last 20 minutes. The wheat germ seems to bring along its magic and the ferments are nice and strong. The corn flakes bring along the corn flavor and maybe some mouth feel. I've got some aging on the shelf... haven't quite reached 3 months, but the early tastes are interesting.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

> Waiting 10 days or more for a sugar wash to finish just puts me way behind. 

So start a second ferment five days after the first.

... but, as you've learned, creating a healthy environment for the appropriate type of yeast results in a more efficient fermentation process.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn