Honey/Molasses/Fruits SG Targets

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NewZealandDreamer
Novice

Honey/Molasses/Fruits SG Targets

Post by NewZealandDreamer »

Hello all,
I'm working on a honey mash and am looking for thoughts on fermentation time.
I've read that honey won't ferment "all the way down" but I can't find a target range.
My 5 gallon recipe is 10 lbs honey, 2.5 lbs sugar, 1 tbsp lemon juice, one packet bread yeast and about 4 gallons water.
My SG readings are:
Day 1 = 1.112
Day 6 = 1.090
Day 13 = 1.070
Day 28 = 1.040
Day 34 = 1.040 (today)
Since it hasn't moved in a week, is it done?!

The same thing is happening with my rum project:
1 gallon black strap molasses
2 lbs. brown sugar
1 packet D47 yeast
My SG readings are:
Day 1 = 1.110
Day 5 = 1.076
Day 12 = 1.054
Day 18 = 1.040
Day 25 = 1.030
Day 32 = 1.024
Day 47 = 1.020
Day 53 = 1.020 (today)
I'm guessing it's done too?

I've done many grain-based runs and they always go all the way to 1.000.
I've only recently tried experimenting with fruit/honey/molasses so I'm curious if "ferment until it stops" is the right approach, regardless of SG. Cherries and Blackberries are my next projects so I'm not sure what fermentation times to expect there either.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Honey/Molasses/Fruits SG Targets

Post by still_stirrin »

NewZealandDreamer wrote: My 5 gallon recipe is 10 lbs honey, 2.5 lbs sugar, 1 tbsp lemon juice, one packet bread yeast and about 4 gallons water.
My SG readings are:
Day 1 = 1.112 <-- that's BIG, possibly too big for bread yeast. No nutrients added either.
Day 6 = 1.090
Day 13 = 1.070
Day 28 = 1.040
Day 34 = 1.040 (today) <-- I'm not surprised by this...big OG and not all of the honey is fermentable.
Since it hasn't moved in a week, is it done?! <-- Yep, you're done.

The same thing is happening with my rum project:
1 gallon black strap molasses
2 lbs. brown sugar
1 packet D47 yeast
My SG readings are:
Day 1 = 1.110 <-- Again, plenty big for a bread yeast, especially without a "yeast bomb".
Day 5 = 1.076
Day 12 = 1.054
Day 18 = 1.040
Day 25 = 1.030
Day 32 = 1.024
Day 47 = 1.020
Day 53 = 1.020 (today) <-- Same answer as the honey must. Molasses has a lot of unfermentables in it.
I'm guessing it's done too? <-- Ditto the honey must.

I've done many grain-based runs and they always go all the way to 1.000....
Well, like I've noted above...grains produce predominantly fermentable sugars, while not all honey is fermentable. And the same is especially true for molasses. Better preparation of the recipe can ensure complete fermentation (of the fermentable materials). For example, adequate yeast nutrients will develop healthy yeast cells to consume the fermentables.

I suggest reading some of the Tried and True recipes to learn some of the techniques to successful brewing.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NewZealandDreamer
Novice

Post by NewZealandDreamer »

Thank you so much!
Probably an error adding extra sugar..
Good info for next batches, thanks!
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

still_stirrin wrote:I suggest reading some of the Tried and True recipes to learn some of the techniques to successful brewing.
ss
+1 Still Stirrin has given you some good advise here NZ Dreamer...no worries... it's not a loss, just part of the learning curve.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i was kinda surprised to see day 34, but day 53 kinda blew me away.

once i did a wild yeast on plums ferment that took almost 2 months.

fermenting grain or sugar i usually target 4 days, 7 on the outside. Last week, bored in a hotel room i watched a little program on wiser's whiskey (one of the better crappy bulk produced Canadian whiskies) they do 200K Litre worts and the ferment is done in 72 hours.

Mind, you are double the OG of what most here or there would be going after.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

HDNB wrote:i was kinda surprised to see day 34, but day 53 kinda blew me away.
Personally I never run anything until it fully clears and sucks back on the airlock. 30 days would be a short ferment for me, sometimes a ferment can run as long as 4 months and even then I will let it rest for a while after it's done.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

cranky wrote:
HDNB wrote:i was kinda surprised to see day 34, but day 53 kinda blew me away.
Personally I never run anything until it fully clears and sucks back on the airlock. 30 days would be a short ferment for me, sometimes a ferment can run as long as 4 months and even then I will let it rest for a while after it's done.

Cranky, you be doin a lot of fruit, which would make sense (to me) based on my limited experience there...but why would you rest a sugar or grain that long?
i mean i have; but with no noticeable difference other than an occasional well established lacto...the taste and such is the same.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

HDNB wrote: Cranky, you be doin a lot of fruit, which would make sense (to me) based on my limited experience there...but why would you rest a sugar or grain that long?
i mean i have; but with no noticeable difference other than an occasional well established lacto...the taste and such is the same.
I think I do notice a difference, I think it gives a better final product, Something about a chemical change and the yeast cleaning up after themselves or something like that that I have trouble explaining. I have always noticed something magical happen at around the 60 day mark. I also do all my ferments cold because I think it gives me a better product. Now if I get a raging infection that's when I will cut something a bit short for fear of losing a good drop, although I had 10 gallons of apple go vinegar on me a while back but I ran it anyway and got some nice brandy and some great apple cider vinegar as well out of it.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong but the way I see it is that both honey and molasses have alot of unfermentable stuff throwing a sg reading high off the charts.

When I make rum my sg will be 1.110 give or take but finish at 1.020-1.030 =11.7%
I've not worked with honey and from what I've read the same principles apply.

For the long ferment time, it could be low ph, yeast not having proper nutrition and temperature not prime for yeast used.

Shine0n