When to add aged dunder?

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

vqstatesman
Swill Maker

When to add aged dunder?

Post by vqstatesman »

Hi All,

I have some dunder from a previous rum batch which I have been againg for several months. Its has developed quite a large cap of mouldy goodness. I plan on adding this to my next batch of rum.

I have read quite a lot of info on when and how much and to add. The problem is the quantity and when to add seems to be different between threads and sites. Along with differing times to add there seems to be pros and cons. However I'm still unsure what is best.

So my question is for the rum makers who have experience with using AGED dunder. When and how much to you add to your ferment? And if you feel so included a reason why would help to.

Thanks in advance.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: When to add aged dunder?

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Two different schools of thought...First is to add your dunder directly to the low wines and distill, quantity is between a pint and a quart to 5 gal...but I'd go easy until you know what flavors you can expect to extract. Second is to add the live culture directly to the ferment when the abv reaches 4%. The bacteria and the yeast work together to complete the fermentation and not against each other as was previously assumed. This has to be a really good shot of active dunder, check with der wo and shine- on's posts as I think they have both done this...http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=66527 I'm thinking about two quarts of active dunder in a 5 gal ferment
Last edited by kiwi Bruce on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

vqstatesman
Swill Maker

Post by vqstatesman »

Thanks Kiwi. I was thinking of starting by adding 5-10% volume of aged dunder to my wash once the fermentation has completed, maybe a day or two before distilling.

Not sure I have the balls to add aged dunder into the wash mid ferment. My ferments are runs are more than 100L per run, thats a lot to risk. Maybe I'll give it ago one day when I'm bored :)
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

There are a lot of ways to skin this cat, many of them new inventions and contradictory. They include boiling to sterilize before adding early or late in the ferment, plus additions of cane vinegar and/or sulphuric acid to the 'dunder' (which has become a misused and evolving word). Start somewhere relatively safe so that you don't invest a lot of time, money and effort into making undrinkable crap when you have little in your drinks cabinet, then adjust your protocols as you learn.

Later, you can blend your various successes and failures to make rums you really like.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

vqstatesman wrote:Thanks Kiwi. I was thinking of starting by adding 5-10% volume of aged dunder to my wash once the fermentation has completed, maybe a day or two before distilling.

Not sure I have the balls to add aged dunder into the wash mid ferment. My ferments are runs are more than 100L per run, thats a lot to risk. Maybe I'll give it ago one day when I'm bored :)
Well if you look at it the other way, you would have plenty from which to take ten or twenty litres, and put a bit of the dunder in that and run it separately....

Geoff
The Baker
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

vqstatesman wrote:Thanks Kiwi. I was thinking of starting by adding 5-10% volume of aged dunder to my wash once the fermentation has completed, maybe a day or two before distilling.

You could alway siphon off a boilerfull and experiment.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

vqstatesman wrote:Not sure I have the balls to add aged dunder into the wash mid ferment. My ferments are runs are more than 100L per run, thats a lot to risk. Maybe I'll give it ago one day when I'm bored :)
I have not added aged dunder mid-ferment, but I have had success adding it from the start of the ferment. I use about 1+ gallon of aged dunder/backset with fresh to total 6 gallons per bucket. If you add any time before the ferment is finished, Watch the PH. I need to add potassium carbonate to get my wash up to proper PH after adding the dunder. I also use shells in my fermenter to help maintain ph.

I recently have been adding a quart of aged dunder with a quart of feints from my previous batch, and let that set a week or two before adding to your low wines and doing a spirit run. According to the threads I'm following (and I paraphrase) the acids and other things in the dunder react with the "higher alcohols" to produce a range of esters. I figured my feints, which include the heads, are full of higher alcohols and should produce some new flavors/smells to my drop. I'm loving what comes off the still these days. :-). Good luck to you. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

OtisT wrote:I have not added aged dunder mid-ferment, but I have had success adding it from the start of the ferment. I use about 1+ gallon of aged dunder/backset with fresh to total 6 gallons per bucket. If you add any time before the ferment is finished, Watch the PH. I need to add potassium carbonate to get my wash up to proper PH after adding the dunder. I also use shells in my fermenter to help maintain ph.

I recently have been adding a quart of aged dunder with a quart of feints from my previous batch, and let that set a week or two before adding to your low wines and doing a spirit run. According to the threads I'm following (and I paraphrase) the acids and other things in the dunder react with the "higher alcohols" to produce a range of esters. I figured my feints, which include the heads, are full of higher alcohols and should produce some new flavors/smells to my drop. I'm loving what comes off the still these days. :-). Good luck to you. Otis
This is a very encouraging post Otis... straight forward good advice...good on ya!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

The route I went was dunder to low wines at 20-25% total volume as not to mess up a whole rum ferment.
When I did dunder in the ferment I didn't see any noticeable difference in the final product, after using in the low wines there was a very distinct flavor that wasn't there on my normal rum.
Has done well in blending for my long term aging, also with the right ratios, awesome white on the rocks or if you prefer rum and coke it's great too.

Don't be afraid of the funk, no need to boil before you run in the spirit run either.
I have 20+ gallons aging now and 4- 5 gal buckets of the specific infected dunders now aging as well.

Good luck,
Shine0n
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Shine0n wrote:Has done well in blending for my long term aging, also with the right ratios, awesome white on the rocks or if you prefer rum and coke it's great too.Shine0n
Now this is what I'm taking about, bit by bit we'll be able to get this together.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

My feints jars sit around for ages, and I’ve got a bit of infected backset here, I guess it’s time for a little experiment.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

raketemensch wrote:My feints jars sit around for ages, and I’ve got a bit of infected backset here, I guess it’s time for a little experiment.
:-) Good luck with the experiment. I think you will like the results.

I was in the same situation as you at the beginning of the summer. I have a 6 gal car boy for feints that I was saving up for a rum run once it was full. I fully expected that run to take place this summer, but it's been sitting at half full for over three months, since I began using feints/backset in both my rum and bourbon batches. I'm liking what the feints/backset are doing for my drops way more than the joy I would get from one more large rum run.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I don't know... I get the goose bumps when I think about a rum ferment with some extra funkyness at the ready. lol
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Shine0n wrote:I don't know... I get the goose bumps when I think about a rum ferment with some extra funkyness at the ready. lol
Well, it is still half full. And half a funk is better than no funk at all. :-)
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I like calling it funk, but maybe if we went with the Carribean "hogo" it wouldn't sound as scary? Hogo is an adoption and descendant of French for "high taste", which elicits a different kind of goose bumps, doesn't it?
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

My Caribbean Hogo...I like that, way better that Funk jug, Muck pot or Dunder Hole! Hogo it is!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Make this a sticky. lol
My rum is high taste and, buttery, sweet, fruity, with lots of tastes on the tongue long after you swallow.

HOGO
FUNK
ok ok, I use funk to HOGO rum???
Shit man now I'm thinking too hard for a Monday. lol