Define "sugarhead"

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Define "sugarhead"

Post by Alchemist75 »

OK, at the risk of sounding like a knuckle head I have to ask this. I've run a lot of searches trying to find the answer with no great results.
What in the wide world of sports is a "sugarhead"? I get the impression that it's a grain flavored sugar wash but I need clarification pretty please.....
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Define "sugarhead"

Post by acfixer69 »

Two versions come to mind a UJ style cane sugar being the alky source and Jimbos gumball which sugar is added to the finished AG mash for a second run to be the alky source and oh yea and thing you ferment that has added sugar too. Just as you suspected. :thumbup:

AC
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

OK, thank you!
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

wiki works thanks uj. http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Sugarheads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
be water my friend
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I would have said any sugar wash that uses grain or a grain based additive to give it flavour.
Can you really call rum a sugar head if its 100% molasses with no added processed sugar? I guess technically you could. :(
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

So I mean, by this definition a wash consisting of fruit juice combined with added sugar would be a sugarhead brandy? Yeah rum would be a sugarhead especially if you added sugar. I once tried rum without adding sugar, I used grandmas molasses and the ferment finished out in less than 3 days at what I calculated to be less than 1% ethanol. That went down the sink after a painfully fruitless stripping run....
Is it really possible to do a decent rum with nothing but molasses and water? Maybe a better question would be: is it worth it?
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Get some of the evolved habitats molasses and tell us if it's worth it
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Alchemist75 wrote:Is it really possible to do a decent rum with nothing but molasses and water? Maybe a better question would be: is it worth it?
It isn't worth it if you stuff it up and get 1% alcohol. My last all molasses ferment was dead in three days at 8% and is maturing very nicely.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

OK sometimes semantics can get so ridiculous as to skew the reality, sugar washes are not rum and rum is not a sugar head regardless of the similarities.
A sugar head be it whiskey or brandy in style is a wash where most if not all of the alcohol is produces by added sugar. An AG where most of the alcohol is from mashing and some sugar it added is generally known as a sugar bump, if the grain was adjuct no mashing and sugar added to ferment that is a sugar head. If you added some berry, nut or fruit that was just about devoid of sugar and add sugar for alcohol its a sugar head, if the sugar is down a bit and you add a little its a sugar bump. If you add no sugar its a brandy just like the sugar head and sugar bump are. That is they are all legitimate brandies using different processes, I've heard dimwits call them fruit rums and that is as stupid as it is wrong.
Last edited by thecroweater on Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed some autocorrect mistakes.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

OK folks just moved the molasses talk to Here as its worth discussing but wandering off topic :thumbup: .
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin