Taste profile

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

demon00
Novice

Taste profile

Post by demon00 »

Just wondering what kind, if any, taste you get from a sugar wash... Im usung a 6 gallon stainless steel stock pot still with a water jacket condenser and no thump.... plan to do a 5 gallon mash , 10-12 lbs table sugar , 2 oz"s yeast nutrients and about 2 tablespoons of D.A.D.Y.'s distillers yeast.. Not sure if it will be a neutral spirit of a vodka ish lol thanks
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Re: Taste profile

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Without any other flavoring agents you'll be tasting yeast. Not a yeast flavor per se, but the remnants of fermentation and chemical reactions will be what carries over into the distillate. It won't taste of much, so vodka like, unless something bad happens. It will also depend on your still. With a reflux still you should be able to achieve a pretty clean neutral.
demon00
Novice

Post by demon00 »

I was figuring that might be the case, I may use the sweet feed for some flavor... Maybe 7-10 lbs to 8-10 lbs of sugar
demon00
Novice

Post by demon00 »

I might have to look into some recipes... I do also have on hand some beer brewing malts I could use and some 3 row grain I could squeeze out some sugar and flavor through my mash tun...
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Lots of easy ways to add flavor without having to mash: http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Sugarheads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

demon00 wrote:I might have to look into some recipes... I do also have on hand some beer brewing malts I could use and some 3 row grain I could squeeze out some sugar and flavor through my mash tun...
Great idea Where you been hiding since 2008 :clap:

AC