cloudy Product mid run

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

cloudy Product mid run

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

what would cause product to turn white cloudy mid run?
I was running UJSSM was just about dead middle of the run and had a cloudy jar.
The only thing that was different than the previous 10-12 runs was that the product condenser had gotten warmer than "normal" and the product was coming out about 85 degrees f.
I "flooded the condenser" with cooling water and got it cool again, changed jars and back to clear as normal. Filled another 3 quarts clear as a bell.

Any Ideas?

thanks
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Re: cloudy Product mid run

Post by DAD300 »

You may have just cleaned out your Product condenser! :)

But, keep that jar and see if any oils settle to the top or bottom. If so filter it and see how it tastes.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

puke ?
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Had that happen on a Birdwatcher's run and found my liebig was extremely hot. Bad on me.
(Luckily it was Birdwatcher's and was going to be re-distilled a couple more times anyway.)

But for "let's see" purposes I poured the cloudy stuff through a coffee filter and it cleared!
(Required 4 or 5 filter changes as they clog and run slow.)
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

fizzix wrote:But for "let's see" purposes I poured the cloudy stuff through a coffee filter and it cleared!
(Required 4 or 5 filter changes as they clog and run slow.)
Run the cloudy stuff through double coffee filter which have first had cold water run through them.. will remove 95% of the cloudiness on the first past, and also I use this method to remove oil on rye and rum runs..
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

There was only about a pint that was cloudy.
I treated it just like every other jar...
I Smelled it....smelled like the one before & after
Mixed 1/4tsp water & 1/4tsp UJSSM...smelled again, smelled good.......put a drop on my tongue....tasted good....

my best guess is that DAD300 is correct. Because like fizzix suggested the "condenser was at least very warm, probably HOT"