Sugar wash with fruit added for flavor.

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tazewell
Novice

Sugar wash with fruit added for flavor.

Post by Tazewell »

When I first started I made a recipe from claw hammers website that was basically sugar, water, yeast and raisins for nutrition. In the end it tasted kinda raisin-y. Has anyone else experimented with this?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Sugar wash with fruit added for flavor.

Post by still_stirrin »

There's plenty of good recipes already posted in the Tried & True recipe forum (including sugar washes). No need for me to steer off course to a still manufacturer's website to find a recipe. The T&T are "HD certified". I can't even say that Claw Hammer's stills are proven as thoroughly, let alone his recipes. Use caution when following Youtube videos or other 3rd party recipes, they'll leave you stranded.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Bvritr
Novice

Post by Bvritr »

i found birdwatchers tomato paste wash to taste a whole lot cleaner than the one with raisins. just as simple to make also when just starting out
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Tazewell wrote:When I first started I made a recipe from claw hammers website that was basically sugar, water, yeast and raisins for nutrition. In the end it tasted kinda raisin-y. Has anyone else experimented with this?
I'd say you're now the expert in that recipe as I'm sure few, if any, here have tried it. As mentioned -Tried and True will never steer you wrong.
Birdwatcher's comes out extremely clean for me.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

If you boil the raisins to mush they should add good nutrition for the yeast as well as add a small amount of flavor.
I've added raisins to my rum while aging but not to the extent of them becoming a major factor in the flavor profile but I could taste them just not overwhelming.

Great nutrient though!
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Tazewell wrote:When I first started I made a recipe from claw hammers website that was basically sugar, water, yeast and raisins for nutrition. In the end it tasted kinda raisin-y. Has anyone else experimented with this?
Nope, but I have done flavoured washes (Plum, Molasses, Malt extract etc) and found them very satisfactory. However I run a pot (ish) and if you want a neutral, I'd take the advice given already - However, I shall certainly be looking for a supply of cheap rassins ! :wink:

so how many raisins to a 25 litre wash ?
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

If I were looking for alot of carry over, 10 lbs cut up very fine or boil them to a mush.