Brix. Do I have this correct?

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Brix. Do I have this correct?

Post by fizzix »

I want to find out how much sugar is in the 8 liters of molasses used in Crow's Rum.

My feed molasses says 82 brix right on the label:
molasses.jpg
And one degree Brix is 1 gram of sucrose in 100 grams (Wikipedia):
brix.JPG
And molasses equals 11.4 kg per an online calculator:
molasses2.JPG
Now to find the amount of sugar in 11.4 kg (8 liters) of molasses at 82 brix, is this math correct?:

(molasses weight / 100 gram) x brix = sugar weight equivalent
(11,400 grams / 100 grams) x 82 brix = 9.348 kg sugar in 8 liters of my deer molasses.

Am I figuring this correctly?
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Brix. Do I have this correct?

Post by der wo »

No. To measure the refraction or the specific gravity for calculating the sugar content doesn't work with molasses. Like it doesn't work with roasted grains for example. But still the OG - FG calculator works BTW, both will be a very high number. Doesn't the canister show nutrition facts on the backside? Normally molasses have 45 - 55% sugar. 10kg molasses have fermentable 4.5 - 5.5kg sugar. So in Crows Rum most of the alcohol comes from the added sugar. This is a difference to most commercial Rums, where all sugar is from molasses.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Thank you. No this was an after-thought long after the molasses container was tossed out.
I appreciate your sage comments as I respect your knowledge very much. (And nice to see you hanging around still.)
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Oddly enough even the Evolved Habitats website does not give you the "nutritional" information. Either the deer don't have a strong enough lobby or the FDA just doesn't seem to care about deer nutrition....yet. :mrgreen:

The unfermentables in the Molly will make usable sugar calculations difficult fizzix. Probably why most folks push their SG near 1.1 when making da Rum!

Another "ya git what ya git moment"!

I just dd 2 runs and pushed the Brix between 22-24. Came out right nicely if I do say so myself.

I've had my moments with the Evolved Habitats... I'm a food grade all molly guy now!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

rgreen2002 wrote:...probably why most folks push their SG near 1.1 when making da Rum!
Another "ya git what ya git moment"!
I just dd 2 runs and pushed the Brix between 22-24. Came out right nicely if I do say so myself.
I've had my moments with the Evolved Habitats... I'm a food grade all molly guy now!
Thanks rgreen for helping me out with this. The "shoot for 1.1" alone better assists my understanding, too.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

rgreen2002 wrote:Oddly enough even the Evolved Habitats website does not give you the "nutritional" information. Either the deer don't have a strong enough lobby or the FDA just doesn't seem to care about deer nutrition....yet.
:clap: That’s “priceless”.

When I’ve used the evolved habits molly, a gallon in 5 gallons of ferment gets me about 1.110-1.120 OG (big!!!). But it finishes around 1.040, so the difference is around 10%ABV potential. It’s tough to “measure” molly because of all the stuff in it, especially the deer lick molasses. There’s a lot of non-fermentable resins in it which produce a coarse flavor when distilled. I had to run it 3x through the still to make it drinkable.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

The label on my jug says "Total sugars (as invert) 43%".
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Skipper1953 wrote:The label on my jug says "Total sugars (as invert) 43%".
Hey thanks! Yeah I see my calculation was wa-a-a-y off for all the reasons stated.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

From Wikipedia:

Degrees Brix (symbol °Bx) is the sugar content of an aqueous solution. One degree Brix is 1 gram of sucrose in 100 grams of solution and represents the strength of the solution as percentage by mass. If the solution contains dissolved solids other than pure sucrose, then the °Bx only approximates the dissolved solid content.

So I guess unless it’s just sugar water it’s meaningless, or at most relative.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:From Wikipedia:

Degrees Brix (symbol °Bx) is the sugar content of an aqueous solution. One degree Brix is 1 gram of sucrose in 100 grams of solution and represents the strength of the solution as percentage by mass. If the solution contains dissolved solids other than pure sucrose, then the °Bx only approximates the dissolved solid content.

So I guess unless it’s just sugar water it’s meaningless, or at most relative.
I was trying to find a non-sarcastic way of rendering that thought out loud, Michigan, because that's how it now appears to me now.
There's a "cosmological factor" missing (unique to each mixture. e.g. molasses). I'm sticking to proven molasses recipes as this brix thing is elusive to me right now.
A little lot more research may pan this brix thing out. Will have to just rely on the label for "total sugars" for the interim like Skipper1953 showed.

One reference reveals a lot: Brix Ref.1
Likewise this: Brix Ref.2
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Here is an interesting blurb about Alcohol from Cane Molasses: http://www.sugartech.com/alcohol/molasses.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

And a calculator for checking Alcohol from Cane Molasses: http://www.sugartech.com/alcohol/calculate.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It uses measurements of tonnes... might be helpful. :?

I'm not gonna lie....its a little over my head.
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

rgreen2002 wrote:Here is an interesting blurb about Alcohol from Cane Molasses: http://www.sugartech.com/alcohol/molasses.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

And a calculator for checking Alcohol from Cane Molasses: http://www.sugartech.com/alcohol/calculate.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It uses measurements of tonnes... might be helpful. :?

I'm not gonna lie....its a little over my head.
Looks like I'll be going up beyond 30 gallon hobby size!
nateboussad
Novice

Post by nateboussad »

Have a read through this thread
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/sho...tometer&page=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow