Multivitamin Sugar Wash

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Patagonia-Shine
Novice

Multivitamin Sugar Wash

Post by Patagonia-Shine »

Hi everyone,

Just done my first sugar wash with the ingredients I had at home.

6 kg white sugar
5.3 gallons plastic fermenter
3 Tb DADY yeast
1 tb baking soda
3 multivitamins pills

Well I diluted the sugar in the hot water at 60 Celsius then let it cool. Meanwhile I hydrated the yeast with warm water for 10 min also I grounded the multivitamins pills and poured the podwer together with the baking soda.

The wash became an anti Superman weapon , the colour of the wash turned to kryptonite green !! Jajaja

I couldn't measure the water pH (wrong!!)

But I went on, I pitched the yeast into the fermenter. Put the airlock and After 30 min It was bubbling like crazy.

Og was 1080 and after 10 days I got Fg 1025.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) Plus mediante Tapatalk
Patagonia-Shine
Novice

Re: Multivitamin Sugar Wash

Patagonia-Shine wrote:Hi everyone,

Just done my first sugar wash with the ingredients I had at home.

6 kg white sugar
5.3 gallons plastic fermenter
3 Tb DADY yeast
1 tb baking soda
3 multivitamins pills

Well I diluted the sugar in the hot water at 60 Celsius then let it cool. Meanwhile I hydrated the yeast with warm water for 10 min also I grounded the multivitamins pills and poured the podwer together with the baking soda.

The wash became an anti Superman weapon , the colour of the wash turned to kryptonite green !! Jajaja

I couldn't measure the water pH (wrong!!)

But I went on, I pitched the yeast into the fermenter. Put the airlock and After 30 min It was bubbling like crazy.

Og was 1080 and after 10 days I got Fg 1025.

That's the first minute of the wash. What a colour man !! Superman don't be afraid dude !![img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201803 ... 729a99.jpg[/img]

Patagonia-Shine
Novice

Yesterday I did a stripping run. The thermometer was saying like 80 Celsius when the first drop came out of the condenser.

I guess that's the temperature in the head of the pot, obviously at the top of the column the temperature was much colder.

Well ... So I discarded the first half pint, was smelling really rough and like a mix of solvent and wood alcohol. The head thermometer started to go up to 90 Celsius and I began collecting the famous hearts. My tasting decided it was quite the same flavour than the heads but smoother. Still I could feel that wood alcohol smell.

I collected almost 1 gallon and realized I could even collect much more cause the thermometer was stucked in those 90 degrees, but as I only had that f..ing gallon jar I decided to turn off the heater.

Once I finished I knew that was a stripping run and I have to be ready for a second or the famous spirit run.

I know we have to build a huge sense of patience but it's like when you were a kid having your first guitar supposing you're gonna play your first riffs like Jimi Hendrix.

Quick question, my low wine is 1 gallon at 65%abv. My pot is 5.8 gallons. Do I have to dillute the low wine for the second run? Or should I do it straight with it?

Thanks for reading, for the advice for being part of this amazing community.

I attached some pics of my still I have the regular neck and this 2.5 feet column and condenser.

God bless Home Distillers !!
Didn't drink (yet ...)

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201803 ... 07a33c.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201803 ... 777415.jpg[/img]

Patagonia-Shine
Novice

And sorry about my english , I am from Argentina and will improve it reading your posts.

Thanks for that too !!

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Patagonia-Shine wrote:Quick question, my low wine is 1 gallon at 65%abv. My pot is 5.8 gallons. Do I have to dillute the low wine for the second run? Or should I do it straight with it?
Dilute to 40%ABV or lower. Above 40%ABV is dangerous to a flash fire (not recommended for safety reasons).

30%ABV low wines will result in a smoother (reduced flavor) spirit. 40%ABV will give more flavor but it will have sharper heads on the spirit run.

Be safe, responsible, and discrete.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Patagonia-Shine
Novice

still_stirrin wrote:
Patagonia-Shine wrote:Quick question, my low wine is 1 gallon at 65%abv. My pot is 5.8 gallons. Do I have to dillute the low wine for the second run? Or should I do it straight with it?
Dilute to 40%ABV or lower. Above 40%ABV is dangerous to a flash fire (not recommended for safety reasons).

30%ABV low wines will result in a smoother (reduced flavor) spirit. 40%ABV will give more flavor but it will have sharper heads on the spirit run.

Be safe, responsible, and discrete.
ss
Thank you still stirring , excellent advice. I will do it to maybe 35abv for an average between smooth and character. Anyway just the first sugar wash run but an awesome lesson. Next week I will cook a corn wash so better I learn something for the next run.

Thanks again !!

greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

> Anyway just the first sugar wash run but an awesome lesson. Next week I will cook a corn wash so better I learn something for the next run.

I suggest you stick with sugar washes for a few months.

... and do remind us that you've done the requisite cleaning runs on your gear.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Please do us a favor and turn this off:
Patagonia-Shine wrote:...
You’ll find the switch in your app settings. We don’t need the advertisements attached to your threads.

Thanks.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Patagonia-Shine
Novice

still_stirrin wrote:Please do us a favor and turn this off:
Patagonia-Shine wrote:...
You’ll find the switch in your app settings. We don’t need the advertisements attached to your threads.

Thanks.
ss
Done !
Patagonia-Shine
Novice

greggn wrote:> Anyway just the first sugar wash run but an awesome lesson. Next week I will cook a corn wash so better I learn something for the next run.

I suggest you stick with sugar washes for a few months.

... and do remind us that you've done the requisite cleaning runs on your gear.
Yeah , by the way I did the vinegar run and then an old cheap vodka run as well !!
Black Hearts
Novice

Post by Black Hearts »

I think just tomato paste and boiled yeast is better than the multivitamins. Good luck and keep us posted amigo:)
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Black Hearts wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:37 am I think just tomato paste and boiled yeast is better than the multivitamins. Good luck and keep us posted amigo:)
Welcome Black Hearts!

Just a little "housekeeping".
Patagonia posted that thread over two years ago. and apparently disappeared from the forum two days later. :D

In case you were searching about information on sugar runs, great idea! :clap:
For best results, stick to the Tried & Trues. If you like tomato paste, Birdwatchers.
Closest to this would be Shady's Sugar Shine

Carry On.
Last edited by TDick on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Hearts
Novice

Post by Black Hearts »

Sounds good mate! Hope our friend is ok:)
The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage..