Sugar Substitutes

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sosoomi
Novice

Sugar Substitutes

Post by sosoomi »

Has anyone tried a sugar substitute such as Erythritol or Stevia to sweeten their Apple Pie or any other shine you are creating? I mean... who really needs more sugar in their diet? Not looking to debate the benefits of sugar, just asking a question!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Sugar Substitutes

Post by still_stirrin »

p’tooey! Nothing tastes as good a real sugar.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
sosoomi
Novice

Post by sosoomi »

Many of us can't tolerate high sugar content anymore.....
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

sosoomi wrote:or Stevia to sweeten their Apple Pie or any other shine you are creating?
I haven't personally used it , but I do know that its been used a fair bit in different recipes on other distilling forums, Mostly by people who are diabetics or want to lessen the amount of sugar in their diet.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

sosoomi wrote:Many of us can't tolerate high sugar content anymore.....
I s'pose.

My answer...don't drink "panty droppers" or "pie-sweetened" liquors. Whiskey is nice "neat", or possibly "on the rocks". No sugar (or other sweeteners) required.

But, I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion...after all...everyone has one.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
sosoomi
Novice

Post by sosoomi »

still_stirrin wrote:
sosoomi wrote:Many of us can't tolerate high sugar content anymore.....
I s'pose.

My answer...don't drink "panty droppers" or "pie-sweetened" liquors. Whiskey is nice "neat", or possibly "on the rocks". No sugar (or other sweeteners) required.

But, I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion...after all...everyone has one.
ss
I couldn't agree with you more....but... friends and guests enjoy those drinks so I aim to please them... I mean why not? BTW... Stevia is an all natural, plant based sweetener.... likely less processed than white sugar.

Anyhow... I didn't really want to get into this kind of discussion, was interested in knowing what other's experience was.
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

I used sweetener (Stevia) in my apple cider. It's the easiest way to obtain a sparkling sweet cider. But when I do a sweel liquor (limoncello, nutellotto) I always use real sugar, which in my corner of the world means white beet sugar.
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

Never shine, but I have done hard cider. I use Stevia liquid from Trader Joes. It has no bitterness than most stevia has.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I have used stevia and sucralose. Neither was good for getting to a really sweet level that many sugar recipes do. Both were kinda ok for a lightly sweetened drink. That's actually high praise for me as I just haven't developed a taste for artificial sweeteners and dont use or consume them in anything. Eg I'd much rather drink unflavored seltzer water than diet coke.
Personally I found that I prefer lightly sweetened with real sugar, and since it is lightly sweetened and I dont drink the sweet drinks often it isnt drastically contributing to sugar intake.
When I want to make a bottle to pass around a special gathering to hear "holy shit that is delicious!" There is no substitute for sugar, and lots of it. Everybody likes desert, not everybody likes even the finest whisky/rum/gin etc.
I know I strayed a bit from "dont wanna hear that", but wanted to put my opinion in context. Lightly sweetening with artificial sweeteners is ok, and probably great if you have developed a taste for them. But it will never please the crowd of sugar crack fiends the way a real desert does.
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

If you can get stevia fresh then it tastes 90% better. The fresh picked leaf has a fruity, sugary flavor without the bitterness of the died plant or those nasty commercial extracts.
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM