Pound and a half rule

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Pound and a half rule

Post by Alchemist75 »

I've been using a rule I decided upon, long ago, after reading on these forums that says the most sugar I will ever add to a gallon of final volume is 1.5 pounds. I do basic sugar heads mostly, cereal and sugar in a series of 4 gallon fermenters using bakers yeast and 6 pounds of sugar per. Works good. Now, given the type of yeast could I do 2 pounds on the gallon? Would it just be a waste of sugar or stress the yeast or would it work ok? I roughly calculate the abv of my washes at 11%, I think the cap on bakers yeast is 13%. Would that extra half pound be too much? Whaddya all think?
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Pound and a half rule

Post by NZChris »

My rule of thumb is that if you're not getting enough alcohol out of your fermenter, you need a bigger fermenter.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Alchemist75 wrote: I think the cap on bakers yeast is 13%
Im pretty sure bakers will go higher than 13% but you are looking for trouble if you push it that fair or beyond.
NZChris wrote:if you're not getting enough alcohol out of your fermenter, you need a bigger fermenter.
You've just been given good advise....I might add that a bigger boiler also helps.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I do sugar wash at 2 lbs often, or 1.080 - 85, with no noticeable different.. and since it for neutral I only strip down to 50% overall volume.. a strip run of 24L (6gal) gives me just a little more than 4L of 50%.. the only thing that I notice is that is will try a few extra days to finish fermenting.. and I use bakers yeast Red Star, and have push this yeast to 20% by doing adding sugar in two part, and with take about 2 wks to finish down to .995..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

My ferment capacity is presently 20 gallons in 4 gallon batches which works out well as my boiler is 5 gallon so each batch is a charge. A larger boiler is almost inevitable as are other upgrades as time goes on, all I've done since I first started is slowly get into better gear. Just a steady progression. I asked as much out of curiosity as a desire to step up output, sounds like my rule is a good one, avoids funky brew. 2 pounds would give me a little more so I suppose that's something I'll just have to try, maybe once the weather warms up. Hitting 20% is an eyebrow raiser, that's high octane there, my rig doesn't make vodka so I wonder if I'd get weird results trying that lol. Thanks guys, good answers.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

5 gallons is quite small, but adding a well plumbed 5 gallon Charentaise style preheater would make multiple strips per day easy and more time and energy efficient than a two or three times larger still.
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Clever idea Chris. I'm capable of knocking out 3 or 4 in a day if I get up by say 10 am lol. I have a routine down with both ferments and runs, a preheating vessel might be a cool addition
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

A preheater can have the next charge up to distilling temperature before it goes into the main boiler, the first drips arriving only a couple of minutes after the heat goes back on. I sometimes catch the foreshot with the preheater.
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

This does sound like a good idea.....one of many I've gotten on this site. There are multiple ports on my boiler so setting it up wouldn't require heavy boiler modification. So what, have the lyne arm connect up to an internal coil in the preheater? A valved arm running back to the boiler, install a slop arm on the boiler......
BENTCAP
Novice

Post by BENTCAP »

Alchemist75 wrote:Clever idea Chris. I'm capable of knocking out 3 or 4 in a day if I get up by say 10 am lol. I have a routine down with both ferments and runs, a preheating vessel might be a cool addition
Do you clean the still between runs or just run it again after it cools
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I might have to try that. Do you guys have a spigot in your pot for easy draining? If you could preheat to 130° or so it would be a time saver.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

BENTCAP wrote:
Alchemist75 wrote:Clever idea Chris. I'm capable of knocking out 3 or 4 in a day if I get up by say 10 am lol. I have a routine down with both ferments and runs, a preheating vessel might be a cool addition
Do you clean the still between runs or just run it again after it cools
For stripping I clean all the copper real good with hot vinigar and salt at the start. After that I can muscle through pretty quick and the copper stays pretty bright. I just stripped 8 gallons earlier this evening, pear Brandy in just a little over 4 hours. Realistically, I could probably strip over 20 gallons in a day, 4 gallon charges back to back. Like I said, I got my routine down. My ferments go together damned quick too.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

BENTCAP wrote:Do you clean the still between runs or just run it again after it cools
During a series of strips, I dump and recharge with no cleaning and no cooling, my record from heat off to heat on being seven minutes.

I hose the boilers out before the first charge and again after the last. My copper hasn't been deliberately cleaned to bright since I built the still.