Recipes for Making Simple Syrup

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Recipes for Making Simple Syrup

Post by Bushman »

In one of my liqueur books it has a section dedicated to Simple Syrup recipes. Not having seen a thread dedicated to simple syrup but being a part of making alcohol drinks I thought it would be a nice idea to have members share simple syrup recipes on this thread. I will start by listing my favorite from the book “HOMEMADE Liqueurs and Infused Spirits” and other drink sources I have found.

Simple Syrup
Makes 3 cups
2-1/4 cups water
2-1/4 cups granulated cane sugar
Mix water and sugar in a saucepan until sugar is completed moistened. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Stir make sure the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from head and let cool. Refrigerate for up to 3 months.

Brown Simple Syrup
Makes 3 cups
2-1/4 cups water
2-1/4 cups brown sugar
Mix water and sugar in a saucepan until sugar is completed moistened. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Stir make sure the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from head and let cool. Refrigerate for up to 3 months.

Vanilla Simple Syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Combine the sugar, water, scraped vanilla beans, whole bean and extract in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk constantly until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is bubbling. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool completely before storing in a jar. I usually don’t remove the vanilla pod and just leave it in for flavor. You can remove it if you wish.

Almond Simple Syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
Combine the sugar, water and extract in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk constantly until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is bubbling. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool completely before storing in a jar.

Caramel Simple Syrup
Makes 2 cups
1 cup granulated cane sugar
2 cups Simple Syrup
1/4 to 1/2 cup boiling water
Heat the sugar in a small saucepan over medium high heat until it begins to melt and brown at the edges. Stir with a wooden spoon until sugar becomes lumpy. Keep stirring and within a few minutes it will turn a deep orange-amber and become completely fluid.
Carefully pour in the simple syrup. Mixture should bubble and steam violently. The caramel iced sugar in the pan will solidify. Keep stirring until most of the solid caramel melts into the liquid.
Pour through a mesh strainer into a heat-resistant measuring cup.
Add enough of the boiling water to make 2 cups and stir briefly. Refrigerate in a sealed container. Use within 3 months.

Creamy Simple Syrup
Makes about 3 cups
1 cup heavy cream
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
Combine the cream and sugar in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat stirring frequently. Especially as it approaches a boil.
Remove from heat and stir in the condensed milk. Pour into a clean jar, seal and refrigerate. Use within 2 weeks.

Brown Cow Simple Syrup
Makes about 3 cups
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup dark roasted coffee beans (coarsely cracked)
1/4 cup cacao nibs
Combine the cream, sugar, coffee, and cacao nibs in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat stirring frequently especially as it approaches a boil.
Remove from heat and let steep for 10 minutes.
Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean jar, stir in the condensed milk. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Use within 2 weeks.

Coconut Cream Simple Syrup
Makes about 3 cups
2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk
2 cups granulated cane sugar
Combine the coconut milk and sugar in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat stirring frequently especially as it approaches a boil.
Remove from heat and cool to room temperature stirring occasionally. Pour into a clean jar, seal and refrigerate. Use within 2 weeks.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: Recipes for Making Simple Syrup

Post by OtisT »

Thanks Bushman. I’ve just been winging it each batch I make but that does not always end well, especially with regard to consistency. This will be a big help to me.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

Thanks for the compilation!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

A trick that helps me is recording the volume of the finished syrup then calculating its sugar content so that I can calculate how much to use to arrive at my intended sugar % in a finished liquor or cocktail.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

NZChris wrote:A trick that helps me is recording the volume of the finished syrup then calculating its sugar content so that I can calculate how much to use to arrive at my intended sugar % in a finished liquor or cocktail.
I have recipes in several liqueurs that state how much to add per bottle. NZChris that might be the next post, how much syrup to add to make certain liqueurs.

PS: I saw mentioned on this forum a peach simple syrup but no recipe listed, would be nice if members have any they would like to add!
steelmb
Swill Maker

Post by steelmb »

Bushman wrote:In one of my liqueur books it has a section dedicated to Simple Syrup recipes. Not having seen a thread dedicated to simple syrup but being a part of making alcohol drinks I thought it would be a nice idea to have members share simple syrup recipes on this thread. I will start by listing my favorite from the book “HOMEMADE Liqueurs and Infused Spirits” and other drink sources I have found.

Simple Syrup
Makes 3 cups
2-1/4 cups water
2-1/4 cups granulated cane sugar

Brown Simple Syrup
Makes 3 cups
2-1/4 cups water
2-1/4 cups brown sugar

Vanilla Simple Syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Combine the sugar, water, scraped vanilla beans, whole bean and extract in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk constantly until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is bubbling. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool completely before storing in a jar. I usually don’t remove the vanilla pod and just leave it in for flavor. You can remove it if you wish.

Almond Simple Syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
Combine the sugar, water and extract in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk constantly until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is bubbling. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool completely before storing in a jar.

Caramel Simple Syrup
Makes 2 cups
2 cups Simple Syrup
1/4 to 1/2 cup boiling water
Heat the sugar in a small saucepan over medium high heat until it begins to melt and brown at the edges. Stir with a wooden spoon until sugar becomes lumpy. Keep stirring and within a few minutes it will turn a deep orange-amber and become completely fluid.
Carefully pour in the simple syrup. Mixture should bubble and steam violently. The caramel iced sugar in the pan will solidify. Keep stirring until most of the solid caramel melts into the liquid.
Pour through a mesh strainer into a heat-resistant measuring cup.
Add enough of the boiling water to make 2 cups and stir briefly. Refrigerate in a sealed container. Use within 3 months.

Creamy Simple Syrup
Makes about 3 cups
1 cup heavy cream
Combine the cream and sugar in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat stirring frequently. Especially as it approaches a boil.
Remove from heat and stir in the condensed milk. Pour into a clean jar, seal and refrigerate. Use within 2 weeks.

Brown Cow Simple Syrup
Makes about 3 cups
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup dark roasted coffee beans (coarsely cracked)
1/4 cup cacao nibs
Combine the cream, sugar, coffee, and cacao nibs in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat stirring frequently especially as it approaches a boil.
Remove from heat and let steep for 10 minutes.
Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean jar, stir in the condensed milk. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Use within 2 weeks.

Coconut Cream Simple Syrup
Makes about 3 cups
2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk
2 cups granulated cane sugar
Combine the coconut milk and sugar in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat stirring frequently especially as it approaches a boil.
Remove from heat and cool to room temperature stirring occasionally. Pour into a clean jar, seal and refrigerate. Use within 2 weeks.
I thought you needed a little acid to act as a catalyst to convert it, or are simple syrup and inverted sugar two different things?
I believe MCH may have said it best. "It's your hooch, you get to choose."
Ding Dong
http://w.homedistiller.org/forum/viewto ... =7&t=66849
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

steelmb wrote: I thought you needed a little acid to act as a catalyst to convert it, or are simple syrup and inverted sugar two different things?
Yes, simple syrups are added to cocktails and liqueurs to sweeten and add flavor to drinks.
steelmb
Swill Maker

Post by steelmb »

Bushman wrote:
steelmb wrote: I thought you needed a little acid to act as a catalyst to convert it, or are simple syrup and inverted sugar two different things?
Yes, simple syrups are added to cocktails and liqueurs to sweeten and add flavor to drinks.
"Yes" you need acid or "yes" they are two different things? I am not seeing any acid in the recipes.
Ding Dong
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

steelmb wrote:
Bushman wrote:
"Yes" you need acid or "yes" they are two different things? I am not seeing any acid in the recipes.
They are different in how they are used, inverted sugar is used to prepare a fermentation. Simple Syrup is used as I stated above to add flavor to a drink.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Steelmb here is an example recipe using one of the simple syrups listed above.
Carame Cordial
1 cup vodka
1 cup brandy
2 vanilla beans
1-1/4 cups Caramelized Simple syrup (see above)

Combine the vodka, brandy, vanilla beans, and simple syrup in a quart jar. Stir to moisten
Seal the jar and put in a cool dark cabinet until the liquid smells and tastes strongly of vanilla caramel. About 2 days.
Strain with a mesh strainer into a clean quart jar. Do not push on the solids to extract more liquid.
Store in cool dark cabinet and use within 1 year.
steelmb
Swill Maker

Post by steelmb »

Thanks Bushman, this might be something nice for the significant other or guests. I need to be careful with this kind of thing as I am diabetic.
Ding Dong