How to classify sugar wash spirits?

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: How to classify sugar wash spirits?

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I'm with Crow on this.....sugarshine is not rum...... find me a rum distillery anywhere in the world that makes rum from white or even raw sugar.
Both have had all of the goodies that make rum what it is taken out.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Err , raw sugar has some, maybe most or the molasses removed but certainly not "all" . Refinery molasses is the molasses extracted from raw sugar, only when all the molasses and other impurities are removed do ya have refined sugar. There is even a raw sugar called Muscovado that has had nothing but water removed and is basically crystallized cane juice.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
G8keeper
Novice

Post by G8keeper »

thecroweater wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:45 pm There is even a raw sugar called Muscovado
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else or is off topic, but have you ever used this yourself thecroweater?

Cheers
G8
God made yeast, as well as dough, and loves fermentation just as he loves vegetation. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Running a Copper Still Spirits Turbo 500
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Yes it came out a medium flavoured rum, slightly lighter than a molasses and raw sugar rum
viewtopic.php?f=101&t=57010
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

The amount of mollases left in raw sugar is so small it hardly makes a difference......you still won't find any commercial rum made from raw or white sugar.
For that matter id go as far as saying that 98% of all of the commercial rums are made of one thing.......mollases.
G8keeper
Novice

Post by G8keeper »

thecroweater wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:21 pm Yes it came out a medium flavoured rum, slightly lighter than a molasses and raw sugar rum

Cheers mate I might give it a run some time.

The last molasses wash I did I let sit for 18mths and when I tried it the taste was halfway between a rum & a whiskey... hence I called it Rumskey. Damn I wish I could find the recipe I wrote down for that :cry: I've moved house since then and can't find my old recipe book.
God made yeast, as well as dough, and loves fermentation just as he loves vegetation. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Rumskey is a thing sometimes called jackass juice. Its grain and molasses or rum aged on whiskey barrel oak, its not really my thing but it's not terrible.
Last edited by thecroweater on Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Phone changing rum to rumour, rum is a word you dumb phone
G8keeper
Novice

Post by G8keeper »

thecroweater wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:00 am Rumskey is a thing sometimes called jackass juice.
Well I certainly fit that description :|
thecroweater wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:00 am aged on whiskey barrel oak

Well that explains that in all too obvious way that it makes me feel like a jackass :lol:

Avo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Avo »

G8keeper wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:57 pm
thecroweater wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:45 pm There is even a raw sugar called Muscovado
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else or is off topic, but have you ever used this yourself thecroweater?

Cheers
G8

Off-topic answer to your question. I have used Dark muscovado sugar with golden syrup to make a white rum, the rich flavour and aroma of the muscovado sugar comes over very well. Furthermore, I have 'Soxhlet' infused dried mango into a flask of the rum, the flavours go very well together.
20200223_140309.jpg
G8keeper
Novice

Post by G8keeper »

Avo wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:37 pm
I have 'Soxhlet' infused dried mango into a flask of the rum, the flavours go very well together.
That sounds delish :thumbup:

Avo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Avo »

G8keeper wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:36 pm
Avo wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:37 pm
I have 'Soxhlet' infused dried mango into a flask of the rum, the flavours go very well together.
That sounds delish :thumbup:
It is, just a question of maybe how much top-up plain neutral I can add in the bottle for the perfect balance.
The dark muscovado route is definately worth you trying; as it is said, if they just evaporate the water out of
it and it is crystalized cane juice it will retain the flavour, which I can verify. You could do a small 5 litre batch
ferment, and run it through your T500, still spirits say you could run 5 litres minimum distillate and stop producing
when you have collected 3 litres :think: I would definately label it rum.
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

lols Avo, was going to ask why you had a "brain in a jar" in the middle of your still, then i realised it was mango... lols
Avo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Avo »

RC Al wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:51 am "brain in a jar"
:lol:
G8keeper
Novice

Post by G8keeper »

Avo wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:20 am You could do a small 5 litre batch ferment, and run it through your T500, still spirits say you could run 5 litres minimum distillate and stop producing when you have collected 3 litres :think: I would definately label it rum.

That's not such a bad idea :thumbup:

Avo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Avo »

G8keeper wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:10 pm
Avo wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:20 am You could do a small 5 litre batch ferment, and run it through your T500, still spirits say you could run 5 litres minimum distillate and stop producing when you have collected 3 litres :think: I would definately label it rum.

That's not such a bad idea :thumbup:
:thumbup: With Small or max' amounts in the T500 still, would be good to use a small voltage regulator. This one is very popular with T500 owners.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Voltage-Reg ... SwJcdcmZUI

p.s. I meant wash not distillate :lol:
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

We are drifting off topic a bit here fellas