First sugar run

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rifleman
Novice

First sugar run

Post by Rifleman »

I spent yesterday making 20# of invert sugar. Medium brown.
wash came out a little high at 1.070 but I added nutrients, calcium magnesium and zink plus DAP.
I will get up around 2 AM (100 deg f) an cast DADY rehydrated with cane sugar. Not a rum fan but this is my first still run and I think it will run good in my lawn mower. Toasted cherry for aging. What do you think? I'm running a heating pad, wool blanket and a Inkbird to maintain >72 f. Using a blow off instead of a airlock because I don't want a mess. I already have syrup all over the floor and the wife is in Las Vegas. Need to clean up in the morning or suffer the wrath of Khan! PS added tomato paste and citric acid to lower my ph to 5.0.
"A lady came up to me one day and said 'Sir! You are drunk', to which I replied 'I am drunk today madam, and tomorrow I shall be sober but you will still be ugly." ~ Winston S. Churchill
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: First sugar run

Post by Yummyrum »

Good luck with your first ferment . Personally I’d up the heat to around 80°F ... but thats me .
Quicker fermentation , less likely to stall .

Probably a good wash to run through your new still as a cleaning run . Ordinarily I would cringe at the thought of wasting Rum on a lawnmower ... but not in this case .
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First sugar run

Post by fizzix »

There ya go, Rifleman.
Nice & basic & effective.
Good fuel for your mower... and your perpetual lies. :sarcasm: