Large sugar mash

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bigbatch
Novice

Large sugar mash

Post by bigbatch »

I typically work with fruit and grain so sugar is brand new to me. My goal is to make a high abv wash to go in my column in order to pump out some high proof spirit to make sanitizer for the boys in the shop. I have never used nutrients and only have been using DADY for other batches. I do a 5 gallon starter of DADY and toss into my mash after crashing. Here's my plan, tell me how it will go wrong:

1. Mix 100 gallons of water with 200lbs of cane sugar
2. Do a 5 gallon starter of turbo yeast and toss into the sugar mash

I know it can't be this simple, what do I need to change.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Large sugar mash

Post by still_stirrin »

bigbatch wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:51 amHere's my plan, tell me how it will go wrong:
1. Mix 100 gallons of water with 200lbs of cane sugar
2. Do a 5 gallon starter of turbo yeast and toss into the sugar mash
You’re “above my pay scale”...100 gallons is 8 times bigger than my ferments. But, you’re not planning on drinking any of this, right? Turbo yeast makes crappy tasting spirits.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

For a sugar wash like that, add some nutrients. Here is my vodka, 110 gallons wash, 83 lbs barley and 120 lbs sugar. Could swap 40 lbs of sugar for the barley. .83 lbs of red star bread yeast, dry pitched at 90 deg. .25 lbs of distillavite GN at pitch, .1 lb 24 hrs later. 1.5 lbs calcium carbonate, .75 lbs citric acid, 15 ml fermcap at. Would ferment dry in 3 days.

Could sub startup or superfood instead of GN.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
bigbatch
Novice

Post by bigbatch »

thanks for the feedback. Definitely not going to be drinking this stuff. Just trying to get a high abv wash so that my yield of high ABV spirit is greater in order to produce sanitizer. Just trying to figure out the simplest and cheapest way to get it done (given that I have a 1,000 lbs of cane sugar on hand).
bigbatch
Novice

Post by bigbatch »

So it seems like I should be adding some sort of nutrient to this for the yeast. I have some fermax on hand. Will this be sufficient and in what quantity?
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

https://www.meadmakr.com/batch-buildr/

That calculator calculates nutrient requirements based on yeast manufacturers recommendations for honey washes which should be very similar to a sugar wash.

I recently did 4 sugar washes at 1.075 with fermaid o, 4 grams per gallon, added over the first 3 days. Scaling up to 100 gallons, 400 grams, 133 each day for 3 days. Fermented out dry in less than a week.

750g of fermaid-o from morebeer is $60, so $30/batch for you (375g should be close enough).
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

Some quick googling makes me think that fermax is close enough to fermaid, so 4g/gallon of fermax should work fine.
bigbatch
Novice

Post by bigbatch »

Thanks Everyone!
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Distillavite is about 1g/gallon, so with fermaid, you could go for 2-3 x what I used. GN is a 30% dap nutrient.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

What about saving and boiling used yeast trub after a ferment as nutrient?

-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————