sweet spirit

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DonaldDrunk72
Novice

sweet spirit

Post by DonaldDrunk72 »

Hi, my latest batch of distillate, from a sugar wash, I did a strip run and then a spirit run, is basically bland and sweet, I mix mine with coke but its really too sweet to drink, I haven't seperated the cuts yet, I tried a taster from the middle of the run, nothing like a vodka, it looks ok, smells ok, but bland and I would say overly sweet, any ideas as to what I could maybe blend/infuse it with. Doesn't seem to be a section on this, but all major distillers do it, Ive tried oak but all this does is impart a woody taste (apart from colour)
NineInchNails

Re: sweet spirit

Post by NineInchNails »

I suspect that may just be the nature of straight table sugar washes. Next batch you make, try making Simple Syrup with your sugar then ferment that. 10# sugar, 5 cups water and 0.25 tsp Citric Acid. Boil for 20 min and you're done. I add the syrup to the fermenter while it's still hot. After adding water and other ingredients the temp is usually just right for yeast. That may make it a lot better. The first few runs I ever did was with simple syrup and it made the best vodka I've ever tasted. Smelled like water, no flavor and was as smooth as could be. I recently had a batch fermenting in my garage and temps were unstable. Warm in the day, but got chilly at night. That batch distilled with bite/sting on the tongue. I re-ran it and same thing. I suppose that's why people always say, "don't stress your yeast".
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

I think bland is what you aim for if you use a sugar wash, isn't it?

Keep in mind that many non-top-shelf vodkas are not well cut and contain quite a lot of heads. In fact I find the heads cut for many of my spirit runs by looking for that cheap vodka flavour.

If you're aiming for that flavour profile, you may want to add small amounts of late heads to your final blend. Keep in mind that quality vodka should be neutral, though.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

Sugar wash = bland
Dont expect flavor.
Sweetness yes,flavor no.
All my gin is made with wineo sugar wash.
Just the nature of a sugar wash
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Tabucowboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tabucowboy »

Look up what they add to Vodkas, It is not just Shine diluted. There is a lot on this site on what folks have added to sugar wash to make it more like vodka.
CM Reflux Still -- Copper mesh 16" ,column 31" tall, dia. 2",temp at boiler,top of column, power - PAC w5500w Element
Pot Still -- Copper mesh 16",column, 23" tall dia. 2", temp at boiler, power - PAC w5500w Element
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Not sure why you would expect a sugar wash to be anyhing but bland.
Sweetness to me indicates heads.
If you want flavour from sugar best head down the ujsm path....or similar.
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

I would try using different grains like wheat, UJSSM and different recipes to see which you personally prefer. I prefer my neutrals to have no heads and no tails. I don't like the bite of heads or the stank & flavor of tails at all. I make conservative cuts and toss the rest in my feints keg to run again later.

What's cool about using grains (and grain sugar head) is, like Brawndo, grains have everything yeast craves unlike sugar washes. Sugar washes require supplemental yeast nutrients to keep your yeast happy & healthy.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

He said brawndo
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

what is the fascination with vodka/neutrals?
I love to drink, mainly for the flavor and secondarily effect---or vice versa :think:

I have never understood the point of vodka and neutrals, unless it was to get intoxicated quickly.

Regarding the sweetness of sugar washes. I concur. This is the reason I've decided to cease all sugar washes or sugarheads. They are boring and the sweetness overpowers the flavor, but that is just my silly opinion.
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Honest_Liberty wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:21 pmI have never understood the point of vodka and neutrals, unless it was to get intoxicated quickly.

Regarding the sweetness of sugar washes. I concur. This is the reason I've decided to cease all sugar washes or sugarheads. They are boring and the sweetness overpowers the flavor, but that is just my silly opinion.
Well, everybody is entitled to their opinion, right?

Some people enjoy cocktails, or specialty drinks made (designed?) for social gatherings, or enjoyed as a complement to conversation. There is a variety of beverages with a host of flavors besides "brown liquor".

That said, I much prefer making and drinking bourbons and it has become my focus as well. Sure, I've ventured to gins and some "panty droppers" as well. "Apple pie"... well, I think it's best hot out of the oven with a big dollop of ice cream on top.

But, other hobbyists may have much more diversity in their liquor cabinet.

Sound reasonable?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
jward
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jward »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:53 pm
Honest_Liberty wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:21 pmI have never understood the point of vodka and neutrals, unless it was to get intoxicated quickly.

Some people enjoy cocktails, or specialty drinks made (designed?) for social gatherings, or enjoyed as a complement to conversation. There is a variety of beverages with a host of flavors besides "brown liquor".
Exactly. Reading about the "sweet spirit" sounds interesting and makes me want to try it even if I am not likely to like it...
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

[/quote]

Sound reasonable?
ss
[/quote]

Yes, everything you said sounds reasonable. I never understood the fascination is all, but that is because my personality and tastes prefer complex flavor profiles. I suppose it came off as condescending but I read it before posting and didn't intend to come across that way... just confused why it is so popular.

I certainly appreciate the idea of putting it in apple pie and cocktails because my shine never pairs well with anything except rootbeer.
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste