Turbosugar

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stenfet
Novice

Turbosugar

Post by Stenfet »

Hello.
My first post here after reading till my eyes allmost started bleeding.
I have found so much information here that i didnt even know i was missing.
Paticuarly one thing, that turbo yeast is crap and there is much better Ways to make a wash.
How ever, as the newbeginner i am, i made a couple of sugarwashes with turboyeast and bought five bags of it that i intendent to use before advansing futher. When my five bags are used i Will try to move on from turboyest so please Don’t kneecap me over that.
To my question, The yeast i used where suposed to be mixt with 8 kg table sugar, but for some reason i thought it should only be 6 kg. So i wonder what effect that will have beside slightly less abv if any ?
On top of that i used the wrong sugar. I didnt use tablesugar as the instruktion said. I dont knowe the english name for the sugar now but its more powdery (?) and easely desolwed in Colde water. Hope you can figur out wich sugar i mean.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Turbosugar

Post by Ben »

Confectioners sugar? Should just be table sugar with corn starch added and will be fine.

Don't worry about using less sugar than the turbo called for, it is probably a good thing.

FYI, you don't need to replace yeast if you are doing the same recipe over and over, just rack off the stuff into your still and add more wash to the yeast you have.
:)
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Stenfet wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:31 am
On top of that i used the wrong sugar. I didnt use tablesugar as the instruktion said. I dont knowe the english name for the sugar now but its more powdery (?) and easely desolwed in Colde water.

If it was "confectioner's sugar" then you should have increased the amount since it contains starch as an anti-caking agent. If it was "corn sugar" (aka dextrose) then you added more than was needed since dextrose is a monosaccharide.

Either way you're throwing good money after bad by continuing to use the turbo yeast. Cut your losses and throw out those 5 packs. Now's not the time to be pinching pennies.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Stenfet
Novice

Post by Stenfet »

Ben wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:34 am Confectioners sugar? Should just be table sugar with corn starch added and will be fine.

Don't worry about using less sugar than the turbo called for, it is probably a good thing.

FYI, you don't need to replace yeast if you are doing the same recipe over and over, just rack off the stuff into your still and add more wash to the yeast you have.
Oh i didnt know you could do that with turboyeast. I thought that once you used it the yeast was dead and all nutritions (?) where gone. Thanks for explaining souschef things.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

You will need to follow appropriate yeast nutrition guidelines for sugar, but the yeast will be fine.
Stenfet
Novice

Post by Stenfet »

greggn wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:39 am
Stenfet wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:31 am
On top of that i used the wrong sugar. I didnt use tablesugar as the instruktion said. I dont knowe the english name for the sugar now but its more powdery (?) and easely desolwed in Colde water.

If it was "confectioner's sugar" then you should have increased the amount since it contains starch as an anti-caking agent. If it was "corn sugar" (aka dextrose) then you added more than was needed since dextrose is a monosaccharide.

Either way you're throwing good money after bad by continuing to use the turbo yeast. Cut your losses and throw out those 5 packs. Now's not the time to be pinching pennies.
I checked and it says ”brewingsugar glucos” on the bags.
I figure that is ”corn sugar”?
So if i use corn suger i dont need as much as if i use tablesugar ?
What kind of suger is best to use ? Prise aside.
Thank you for answering. I hear you about the turbo and i will get there.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Sucrose = beet or cane sugar AKA table sugar
Maltose= malt sugar (usually dry or liquid malt extract)
Fructose= fruit sugar
Sucrose= table sugar.
Glucose= monosaccharide found in lots of thing, it is probably dextrose (corn sugar).

A hydrometer would help you understand what is going on in your washes.