Hoses for distillery

Forum for the discussion of any material/synthetics.Only posts with info /or links to research info allowed . Any posts recommend the use of any material without copy's or links to show proven research will be deleted

Moderator: Site Moderator

cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hoses for distillery

Post by cede »

Hi,
I was on this page http://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart-3 to look at some materials compatibility and I was comparing EDPM and Butyl.
I know most of plastics here are rejected until proven safe for the hobby, but I wanted to do some internet research on my own.
I was looking for some GC/MS tests on those polymers EDPM,Butyl, Pt cured Silicone checking if they could leak something into the vapor/liquid.

So while searching on butyl, I found Glidetech hoses specially developed for distilleries but they do not mention the material.
http://www.crptudertechnica.com/food_beverage_8200.aspx
I made a forum search on glidetech on the forum and gg HD search an nothing came up.
Other hoses that can withstand ethanol are butyl, but this one is said to be usable with 96% ethanol and congeners.
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hoses for distillery

Post by hpby98 »

Guessing it’s PTFE aka Teflon

Should be safe for use at high proof and hot
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Glidetech hoses do have an inner white layer and are quite stiff, so it's very possible they are lined with ptfe.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Do to the forums stricked safety rules we want members to error on the side of safety. Guessing can be dangerous so our stance and advice would be to avoid use unless there is proven documentation.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Agreed that guessing isn’t a good strategy but these do look like a handy product designed specifically for high abv alcohol.
https://store.tcwequipment.com/products ... llery-hose" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Perhaps made for alcohol liquid transfer but indication they are safe for hot vapor though.
And not cheap at over $20/ft.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Bushman wrote:Do to the forums stricked safety rules we want members to error on the side of safety. Guessing can be dangerous so our stance and advice would be to avoid use unless there is proven documentation.
Bushman, I don't get your point.
Isn't it being of the safe side to use products developed for our needs ?
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

cede wrote:
Bushman wrote:Do to the forums stricked safety rules we want members to error on the side of safety. Guessing can be dangerous so our stance and advice would be to avoid use unless there is proven documentation.
Bushman, I don't get your point.
Isn't it being of the safe side to use products developed for our needs ?
Wasn't responding to your post but to responses to your post about guessing about a product.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I bought a 1/2" diameter hose made of PTFE for transferring spirits.
That along with a 1/4" ID copper pipe and something to seal the opening makes it fairly easy.
Insert both into the container, blow air into the container using the copper pipe, spirits flow out the PTFE pipe into the next container.

I use the same sort of method when I want to drain brake fluid from the master cylinder in my cars, as it's recommended to flush old brake fluid regularly.
When doing that I use cheap vinyl hoses that I just throw away after but it's the same method.
Never a good idea to try and siphon anything caustic by sucking on the pipe that the caustic fluid will travel through.
Instead create positive pressure by blowing into one pipe which will push the fluid out through the other.

All that is just extra info, main comment is yes PTFE pipes are expensive.
So is cancer treatment or whatever else you may need if you don't use safe materials.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Bushman wrote: Wasn't responding to your post but to responses to your post about guessing about a product.
Ah, ok, wasn't that clear in my head under flu attack !

nerdybrewer We use the same technique !
For the brakes, I bought a EZ bleed systems that you plug on a tire to get air pressure, works great for bleeding and changing brake fluids.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

cede wrote:
Bushman wrote: Wasn't responding to your post but to responses to your post about guessing about a product.
Ah, ok, wasn't that clear in my head under flu attack !

nerdybrewer We use the same technique !
For the brakes, I bought a EZ bleed systems that you plug on a tire to get air pressure, works great for bleeding and changing brake fluids.
I have an easy bleed too.

The PTFE hose isn't too hard to find for less than what was mentioned previously in this thread.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=1 ... g&_sacat=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

A factory in the Netherlands, Chemours, making teflon by the GenX-process spills its waste in the water, so the population living in the far neighbourhood of that factory ingests this waste via the drinking water. The GenX-process replaces the process that used perfluoroctaneacid.
Which could mean: a distiller in that region might prevent being polluted by using PTFE-tape, but than is polluted by the same PTFE-tape via the tap water he uses to make his mash or diluting his product.
This factory was owned by a USoA-company: Dupont.
See: https://chemicalwatch.com/53632/dupont- ... t-for-670m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

So when I use this safe white tape, people in Ohio or West-Virginia are poisoned?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Thought I might post this in this topic .
I use Silicone Rubber hose for transferring wash . I have been keeping it in an old fermenter full of Sodium Meta-Bi-sulfide ( Sterilizing solution ) which I thought was a good way to store it .

I'd noticed that it had gone slightly whitish over a 12-18 month period compared to the translucent look it had when new .
Anyway was using it to transfer hot Rum wash during production , bent the hose on itself to stop flow for a second when it ripped open spewing hot sticky shit everywhere .
Burst tube.jpg
On closer inspection it appears that the inner of the tube is a different material to the outer .
Silicone inner OK.jpg
As I pulled it apart , the method of construction became apparent ...it appears like some sort of spiral construction that is decomposed by the oxidizing forces of the Sodium Meta-Bisulfide
Spiral construction.jpg
Not saying its bad , just don't store it like I did :thumbdown:
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Silicone hoses have to be stored dry with no weight on them.
They're nice for brewing, but if they change color, they're dead. That's what I learned too.