Plastic Storage Containers

Forum for the discussion of any material/synthetics.Only posts with info /or links to research info allowed . Any posts recommend the use of any material without copy's or links to show proven research will be deleted

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: Plastic Storage Containers

Postby swampdog 2 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:02 pm

buy pint and quart mason jars from dollar store wal mart sometimes carries half gallon jars
swampdog 2
Swill Maker

Postby MilwaukeesWorst » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:31 pm

Sorry was a poor choice to write on that subject, could be taken the wrong way. Should have just said BPA and a handful other types of plastic are bad and let you read the articles.

http://www.infowars.com/study-finds-bpa ... our-brain/
Source -- http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0043890

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 33551.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/scien ... -cups.html

When they first started using it in 50-60's it leeched a lot more then what lvls are found in people systems now.
MilwaukeesWorst
Novice

Postby friendly1uk » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:15 am

swampdog 2 wrote:buy pint and quart mason jars from dollar store wal mart sometimes carries half gallon jars

The lids are coated with pvc components held in a plastisers. It does not get much worse.
friendly1uk
Bootlegger

Postby Candykorn+ » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Not to sound cheap , but my wife is like alittle bird . I have learned to say " cheap, cheap, cheap" Craig's list has a search for free stuff . I have gotten tons of glass from there mostly free . You gotta be quick , but it's there . Also with the holidays coming , start lookin for home beer kits right after Xmas. Lots of people get them as gifts and get rid of them cheap . Most of the kits come with a car-boy or a large fermenter . They practically give them away
Candykorn+
Novice

Postby MilwaukeesWorst » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:25 pm

Candykorn+ wrote:Not to sound cheap , but my wife is like alittle bird . I have learned to say " cheap, cheap, cheap" Craig's list has a search for free stuff . I have gotten tons of glass from there mostly free . You gotta be quick , but it's there . Also with the holidays coming , start lookin for home beer kits right after Xmas. Lots of people get them as gifts and get rid of them cheap . Most of the kits come with a car-boy or a large fermenter . They practically give them away

Will be eyeballing Craigslist right after x-mas then :shh:
MilwaukeesWorst
Novice

Postby swampdog 2 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:46 pm

guess il be using wine bottles or jugs ,whittle me a stopper out of white oak or something.
swampdog 2
Swill Maker

Postby friendly1uk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:07 pm

swampdog 2 wrote:guess il be using wine bottles or jugs ,whittle me a stopper out of white oak or something.

I just had an A4 sized sheet of 0.25mm thick pfte from ebay. £4 delivered. It makes quite a few lid liners. It don't get any better than that :)
friendly1uk
Bootlegger

Postby Fiorello » Fri May 22, 2015 6:13 pm

friendly1uk wrote:Standard metal lids are coated in a plasticisers that hold pvc components in suspension. You can get ptfe coated one's though. Glass bottles capped with lids you sourced yourself might be the most acceptable approach. Be sure you get the right lids though.

This got me to thinking about bungs and stoppers made from PTFE. You can buy rods of the stuff and have it machined to size; my neighbor has an entire machine shop in his garage - a couple of homebrews and he'll make as many as I want. :D

While looking for rod stock, I came across these:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... &catid=720

They're PTFE cap liners. You could just take out the liner from a screw on cap for a wine bottle, or those 1 gallon Gallo wine jugs, get a cap liner that is the correct size, or trim down, then just put that inside your cap.

:thumbup: OR :thumbdown: ??
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
Fiorello
Novice

Postby Hound Dog » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Those lid liners are great. Many here use them. Read up on the Gallo wine jugs breaking though.....
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=10726
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Hound Dog
Master Distiller

Postby Fiorello » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:25 am

Hound Dog wrote:Those lid liners are great. Many here use them. Read up on the Gallo wine jugs breaking though.....
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=10726

Thanks for pointing out that thread. Though, the final post really spells out the problem:

heynonny wrote:One problem I have run across a few times was that in the manufacture of these jugs, (750ml bottles too), in the molding process, the glass is spread very thin in area(s) inside the molds

Over the years, I have had a few bottles of homebrew explode inside the fridge I use for fermenting and bottle conditioning:

Image Image

Every time it has happened, upon close examination, I discover that the bottle ruptures right at a spot where the glass is almost hair thin. It's just a manufacturing error that is impossible to detect prior to failure, not necessarily an issue with every container.

I save all my Everclear bottles, from making Limoncello, so I plan on using them for storage of neutral after I am up and running (which is a ways off).

Thanks again for the thread tip. :thumbup:
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
Fiorello
Novice

Postby Durhommer » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:21 pm

I want to rack my washes into 5 gallon plastic buckets to settle for a day then re rack into boiler to strip is it ok to do this I mean alot of us do ferment in plastic so I'm thinking its such a low staring alcohol content it will be fine to do
Durhommer
Novice

Postby OtisT » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:44 pm

Durhommer wrote:I want to rack my washes into 5 gallon plastic buckets to settle for a day then re rack into boiler to strip is it ok to do this I mean alot of us do ferment in plastic so I'm thinking its such a low staring alcohol content it will be fine to do

Lots of folks here use plastic buckets/barrels/liners for ferments and racked beer. It’s the high ABV stuff you don’t want touching plastic.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
OtisT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Hoosier Shine9 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:46 pm

Durhommer wrote:I want to rack my washes into 5 gallon plastic buckets to settle for a day then re rack into boiler to strip is it ok to do this I mean alot of us do ferment in plastic so I'm thinking its such a low staring alcohol content it will be fine to do

It is perfectly fine to store your Wash/mash in plastic. It shold only have an ABV of 10 -15%
As you stated the vast majority of us ferment in plastic/PTFE.
I have left some of my finished wash in a 20gal PTFE drum (under an air lock) for about 3 months. I just made sure the airlock did not go dry. btw it was my best UJSSM. I thought it picked up more corn flavor.
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Postby cob » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:24 pm

Hoosier Shine9 wrote: As you stated the vast majority of us ferment in plastic/PTFE.
I have left some of my finished wash in a 20gal PTFE drum (under an air lock) for about 3 months.

where on earth did you get a PTFE drum??
be water my friend
cob
Distiller

Postby Hoosier Shine9 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:59 am

cob wrote:
Hoosier Shine9 wrote: As you stated the vast majority of us ferment in plastic/PTFE.
I have left some of my finished wash in a 20gal PTFE drum (under an air lock) for about 3 months.

where on earth did you get a PTFE drum??

Sorry, I was thinking of 2 different things when I was typing & I combined them.....
they are food grade....... but not PTFE
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Postby MtRainier » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:54 am

Probably meant HDPE?
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Hoosier Shine9 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:12 am

MtRainier wrote:Probably meant HDPE?

yep that is exactly what I meant :oops: ....
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Postby 6 Row Joe » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:08 pm

I switched from silicone to teflon and I could tell a difference. The silicone seals were original and were skunky smelling for sure.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
6 Row Joe
Swill Maker

Previous

Return to Materials Safety