what can be used as column packing?

Forum for the discussion of any material/synthetics.Only posts with info /or links to research info allowed . Any posts recommend the use of any material without copy's or links to show proven research will be deleted

Moderator: Site Moderator

stoker
Distiller

what can be used as column packing?

Post by stoker »

what can be used:
  • SS scubbers
    copper Scubbers
    rash rings in various shapes and materials
    marbles (glass)
can't be used:
  • sand
    plastic
can anyone compleat it?
can I use little stones? (those of water filtering units, or those to cover the botom of an aquarium with.)

ty
stoker
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

Personally, I can't see any point listing all the things you shouldn't use as it would be a VERY long list!

My question would be why not use the best as it is available and quite inexpensive? Incidentally, you have omitted the best which is structured copper mesh. The next best would be the scrubber. The reason they are the best is that they are able to hold a large amount of distillate which enables good separation. Apparently, the mesh also helps ensure that the distillate doesn't track out to the column wall.
Cheers,
Lindsay.
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

I can't find copper mesh or copper scubbers in the local shops and I don't want to order them on the internet.
the reason i mentioned sand is because I've read something in 'the complete distiller'.

would the stones do their job?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Now you guys do know that stoker is a kid.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

Stoker, I have heard of people making thier own rasching rings out of small diamater copper tubing cut into very short length.

For a long time I did'nt have a credit card, and could not buy anything on line.
Hey guys!!! Watch this.... OUCH!
TEC
Bootlegger

Post by TEC »

I have also heard of using copper shavings. Could there be a machine shop around you that works with copper? If not, do you know someone with a lathe? Just chuck up a piece of scrap copper pipe and make your own.
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

tater wrote:Now you guys do know that stoker is a kid.
thank you for that very constructive criticism.

I think I'll just try it, I have those laying around somewhere.
http://www.aquaplantsonline.nl/catalog/images/lava.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
For a long time I did'nt have a credit card, and could not buy anything on line.
same problem

i have also heard of making rash rings yourselve, that must be a lot of work.
Peachey
Novice

Post by Peachey »

I've just added a 3M Gold scrubber from my local Supermarket, to my column. It says it contains Copper and Zinc. I've done a bit of research on this site, and it seems to me that a little zinc wont hurt your Spirit (so fingers crossed). I also brought a stainless steal scrubber which I'll use if the 3M one taints the spirit.
“Power intoxicates men. When a man is intoxicated by alcohol, he can recover, but when intoxicated by power, he seldom recovers.”
pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead »

zinc is poison, from what I understand....and you should NOT use it, Even if it is copper plated.
"Be nice to America, or we'll bring democracy to your country."
"The best things in life aren't things."

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge"-Albert Einstein
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Sorry you took it that way stoker.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

If zinc is a poison please post some evidence. It is in the vitamins I take and the zinc lozenges my doctor said I should take for a sore throat.

I know the metal often contains cadmium and lead which are toxic and I would not use zinc in my still for that reason, but to say zinc is poison may cause people to question the advice.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

I've posted internet research why you should not use it and as far as I know nobody chose to argue against it after the post.....search for it on here.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

I understand why it should not be used and there are many reasons why, but I believe we should post facts here.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I think they are a few facts posted somewhere on here :)
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

I believe I just said I posted information that wasn't disputed by the 500+ members here...but you do whatever you feel is right in your heart.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Peachey
Novice

Post by Peachey »

Hmmm. You think I should take the 3M one out and put the stainless one in then???
“Power intoxicates men. When a man is intoxicated by alcohol, he can recover, but when intoxicated by power, he seldom recovers.”
pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead »

Absolutely. Stainless is ok, but pure copper is better.

but I would still try to get some pure copper packing if I were you. There are plenty of places to get it online.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

I would remove it. Zinc is a very soft metal and will likely leach out, what will the scrubbers be like after a few runs.
Peachey
Novice

Post by Peachey »

Thanks guys. Copper/Zinc Alloy scrubber now in the rubbish :( . Stainless Steel scrubber now in the column. :D
Comic Book Guy
Novice

Post by Comic Book Guy »

copper is great to use. zinc is theoretically safe to use as long as it does not come into contact with the distilate, but it does tend to corrode very quickly, especially in acidic conditions. stick with copper or SS
There is no emoticon for what I am feeling!
hornedrhodent
Rumrunner

Post by hornedrhodent »

Peachey wrote:I've just added a 3M Gold scrubber from my local Supermarket, to my column. It says it contains Copper and Zinc. I've done a bit of research on this site, and it seems to me that a little zinc wont hurt your Spirit (so fingers crossed).

It sounds like brass rather than copper plated zinc. I doubt if zinc would be dissolved out of brass.
Peachey
Novice

Post by Peachey »

The packet said it's a Copper/Zinc alloy. But I've ditched it... didn't want to run the risk of tainting the spirit, or poisoning myself.
Thorin
Novice

Post by Thorin »

zink in VERY small dosages is good for you, like alchohol can be good for you in small dosages. BUT is you get too much of it, it can be very poisonous... atleast that's what i have read about it....

Thorin...
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

THe size of the dosage makes the difference between medicine and poison....you are so right on that Thorin.

smart move removing that questionable scrubber.
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

where do you guys find the pure copper scubbers? (not from the net)
golden pond
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by golden pond »

Hardware store, General store.
Never follow good whiskey with water, unless you're out of good whiskey!!!
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

I've never ever seen them, the biggest local hardware store has all kinds of scubbers, but none made of copper.
did anyone in Europe see it?
jbrew9999

Post by jbrew9999 »

Grocery stores will likely have some scrubbers. Some will carry copper plated ones and some will carry real copper ones.
pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead »

stoker wrote:I've never ever seen them, the biggest local hardware store has all kinds of scubbers, but none made of copper.
did anyone in Europe see it?
There is a brand called "Chore Boy" I am not sure what countries it is sold in, but I'm sure you can find out if you do a search.

possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

Ask a crack smoker, they know where choreboy's can be found. Convenience stores sell them around my area (just for crack heads), but they may not be available in europe.

P.S. I AM NOT A CRACKHEAD