How to tell that your PTFE is... PTFE

Forum for the discussion of any material/synthetics.Only posts with info /or links to research info allowed . Any posts recommend the use of any material without copy's or links to show proven research will be deleted

Moderator: Site Moderator

GrumpyOldITGuy
Novice

How to tell that your PTFE is... PTFE

Post by GrumpyOldITGuy »

Hello All, I have a Mile Hi Distilling 8 gallon setup that's officially for lavender oil, but it just so happens that some regular distilling parts ended up on the order form as well. ;) This still came with silicone gaskets for the tri-clamp connections so I ordered PTFE gaskets to replace them.

Considering the amount of fraudulent stuff out there for sale (I grabbed them off Amazon, I probably should rethink that strategy) I was wondering if there are ways to confirm that they aren't just hard plastic. One idea was to expose them to solvents such as acetone to see if they dissolve. What's the hive mind's feeling on this?
Eagles may soar... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
cob
Master of Distillation

Re: How to tell that your PTFE is... PTFE

Post by cob »

PTFE melts at 600f. UHMW at 400f. other white plastics lower yet.

PTFE is quite ridgid more so than other unfilled plastics.

Trust is the only way on the net. :crazy: :crazy:
be water my friend
quadra
Bootlegger

Post by quadra »

There are a whole bunch of plastic identification flow charts based on material properties and burn behaviour, most are destructive. good gaskets are not a hardware store item but they are not uncommon or expensive.. If in doubt buy from a reputable supplier like these : https://www.glaciertanks.com/tri-clamp- ... reens.html
GrumpyOldITGuy
Novice

Post by GrumpyOldITGuy »

quadra, that's perfect thanks! Definitely cheap enough to just reorder from them!
Eagles may soar... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

MileHi also offers PTFE gaskets.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

so these silicone gaskets that come with stills are a no go?
Fletching
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fletching »

ecir54 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:41 pm so these silicone gaskets that come with stills are a no go?
Correct. PTFE is always going to be the answer here for gasket material. PTFE gaskets are easy to find online, and you can always make your own. (Search Everlasting Gasket)

There is a ton of great information on here that will help you do this hobby safely. The link below is a good starting point.
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975
Here’s to lobster tail and whiskey. Three of my favorite things.

Easy Maceration Boiler https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 7#p7691427
stevea
Novice

Post by stevea »

OK - I'll bite - why is PTFE OK, but silicone a no-no ?

Certainly their mechanical properties are very different and (most cases) silicone's properties would make a better gasket. If they are approved by FDA (or EMA or ...) what exactly is the issue ? [FWIW *some* of the plastic bits have to withstand high temp, high pressure strong non-polar solvents [heptane iirc] w/o leaking plasticizers].

I agree that distilling is a special environment - high temperatures and solvents are NOT a good condition for many plastics; however silicon & PTFE are regularly used in the food industry.

Educate me.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

stevea wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:49 pm however silicon & PTFE are regularly used in the food industry.
Educate me.
Lets start by keeping it really simple, what we are making with our stills is NOT FOOD......its a combination of many high grade solvents, which is a very different thing.
The Silicon subject has been hashed over a thousand times here, suggest you learn how to use the search button and read the many, many threads/ posts on the subject.
Please also refer to Rule i ~~~~~> https://homedistiller.org/forum/app.php/rules
stevea
Novice

Post by stevea »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:12 pm
stevea wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:49 pm however silicon & PTFE are regularly used in the food industry.
Educate me.
Lets start by keeping it really simple, what we are making with our stills is NOT FOOD......its a combination of many high grade solvents, which is a very different thing.
The Silicon subject has been hashed over a thousand times here, suggest you learn how to use the search button and read the many, many threads/ posts on the subject.
Please also refer to Rule i ~~~~~> app.php/rules
When we consume a whisk[e]y or vodka - it IS food; that's a main basis for a safety concern here, right ? We should all want to make sure we are consuming nothing more hazardous than ethanol, diacetyl, some fusel oils .... In the US the distilled beverage industry is regulated by TTB & FDA code; b/c it's a food!

The other hazard in this context is a gasket that might fail; and that is the only topic I've seen discussed wrt compatibility charts. PTFE has slightly better compatibility with polar solvents. That's not a show-stopper.

US FDA Silicone & PTFE are tested with various strong solvents at spec temperature and times to verify that nothing toxic is extractable.
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ ... r=177.2600
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ ... r=177.1550
My point is that that argument 'we use hot solvents' is not a valid DISTINCTION between PTFE & silicone. FDA foresees such use.

--
The YT method of making gaskets by wrapping cardboard with plumber's teflon tape carries some real hazards too, but ....
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

stevea wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:06 am
Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:12 pm
Educate me.
Please also refer to Rule i ~~~~~> app.php/rules
When we consume a whisk[e]y or vodka - it IS food; that's a main basis for a safety concern here, right ? We should all want to make sure we are consuming nothing more hazardous than ethanol, diacetyl, some fusel oils .... In the US the distilled beverage industry is regulated by TTB & FDA code; b/c it's a food!

The other hazard in this context is a gasket that might fail; and that is the only topic I've seen discussed wrt compatibility charts. PTFE has slightly better compatibility with polar solvents. That's not a show-stopper.

US FDA Silicone & PTFE are tested with various strong solvents at spec temperature and times to verify that nothing toxic is extractable.
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ ... r=177.2600
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ ... r=177.1550
My point is that that argument 'we use hot solvents' is not a valid DISTINCTION between PTFE & silicone. FDA foresees such use.

--
The YT method of making gaskets by wrapping cardboard with plumber's teflon tape carries some real hazards too, but ....
The links quoted didn't seem to include any specific testing protocols. The only reference I could was refluxing with distilled water. The EU food safety standards do, and their mandated testing protocols do not cover any situation even close to distilling.

"Food safe" means that under tested conditions the leaching of chemicals from the plastic into the food remains below the recommended thresholds. The most extreme testing conditions in the EU include alcohol at not more than 20% (IIRC) at 40C for 1 hour. This is not even close to what your gaskets will see during pot stilling, let alone distilling.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers