Popcorn Sutton's Mash Recipe

Anything about distilling ya read in news.

Moderator: Site Moderator

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Popcorn Sutton's Mash Recipe

Post by still_stirrin »

Corn Cracker wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:06 am
Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:43 pm Just a sugar head with a few fancy grains.
Sounds a lot better than straight sugar shine
If the target was a “moonshine likker” for bootlegging, then cheap, quick alcohol from a sugarhead would suffice. But, if your goal is a fine spirit for your own liquor cabinet, then there are many better recipes and opportunities available to the home distiller, since we don’t produce spirits for sale or barter.

I can’t imagine Pop Sutton’s recipe being much of a paradigm, unless simply for nostalgia’s sake.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:43 pm Just a sugar head with a few fancy grains.
Ketchup on a hamburger makes it better but it's still never going to be prime rib steak.

Reject the romantic notions, a sugar wash is never going to compete with all grain for taste.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by LWTCS »

Expat wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:30 am
Ketchup on a hamburger makes it better but it's still never going to be prime rib steak.

Reject the romantic notions, a sugar wash is never going to compete with all grain for taste.
+1
Food analogies are a good way to look at the difference between something that can be pretty darn respectable and something that is great.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

It is what it is, no doubt straight grain would be better, of course it would.
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

I consumed as much as I could find about popcorn and nothing really impressed me about anything he did other than his effective branding skills, which is what I consider the most incredible thing about what he's done. There's no way he ever made anything close to what I can make with booners can I say that with 100% confidence. Don't really agree with his decision at the end either.

After a few years here doing booners casual, bourbons, brandies, enzyme sweet feed, rum, gin, and all feints vodka... I'll never go back to sugar head because they all have the same boring, muted, sweet bite and bland flavor that in my opinion is a waste of my effort to produce.
Good start for people to learn the process but I think not worth the money for sugar. I'd rather spend the effort to make a higher quality product
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

sounds like a decent moonshine recipe to me?

the malted grains will help convert the corn starches and add a lot of flavor. We have a pile of "tried and true" recipes that don't go as far.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

squigglefunk wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:31 am sounds like a decent moonshine recipe to me?

the malted grains will help convert the corn starches and add a lot of flavor. We have a pile of "tried and true" recipes that don't go as far.
I find it amazing how necessary it is to spend the money on malted grains, save for corn. The earthy, gritty, funk of unmalted feed grain is undeniable when compared to malted grains
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

RockinRockies wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:46 pm earthy, gritty, funk
i love everything about this
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

squigglefunk wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:59 pm
RockinRockies wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:46 pm earthy, gritty, funk
i love everything about this
+1

Piggy back sugarheads, with a little added malts & otherwise unusable feints, can provide for a very satisfying drink, in short order.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

RockinRockies wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:46 pm
I find it amazing how necessary it is to spend the money on malted grains, save for corn. The earthy, gritty, funk of unmalted feed grain is undeniable when compared to malted grains
Sure, purchased malt is nice, but not totally necessary. Like 8Ball, I find it sexy to take a mixed bunch of humble raw grains, and after malting, roasting, distilling and aging, convert them into something special to drink. Especially using crappy city water.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

squigglefunk wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:31 am sounds like a decent moonshine recipe to me?

My experience is most of this fades away with the addition of time on oak. The harsh, bright, green and gritty flavors become softer, other notes start to come up. Nothing like raw grain in a white spirit to make you question the path...
:)
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Ben wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:53 am

My experience is most of this fades away with the addition of time on oak. The harsh, bright, green and gritty flavors become softer, other notes start to come up. Nothing like raw grain in a white spirit to make you question the path...
I'm getting a much heavier raw grain, earthen profile. None of the bright green apple because I'm going that far into heads.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

RockinRockies wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:33 am
Ben wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:53 am

I'm getting a much heavier raw grain, earthen profile. None of the bright green apple because I'm going that far into heads.
I didn't write that very well. I don't mean green apples, I mean green as in new, unseasoned, intense. It is also green like fresh mown hay, or grass clippings.
:)
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Oh, indeed. Absolutely. THE HAY! yes. Fresh cut, wet hay and heavy raw grain, gritty, almost dirt flavor profile around the edges.

I get what you are putting down but we're off topic of popcorn and I don't want to derail this thread.

To popcorn recipe, effectively UJSCM, no sour...
Has anyone else found anything in the flavor profile outside hot buttered popcorn? It's very one dimensional. Quite delicious, but even my booners is straight popcorn. The sugarhead seems to mute that rich, buttery flavor profile